c5 alignment

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 04:06 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by mrr23
let me quote myself AND sam strano a SCCA champion about tire wear. also, your bmw isn't a corvette. narrower tire and lighter car can withstand more negative camber than a heavier car with wider tires.

FYI, the Corvette is lighter by about 75lbs than the M3.....but as both my cars show, smaller tires/rims and also strut front suspension can use much more camber effectively. But the setup on the Vette (from pFadt couple years ago) makes the Vette a much better and more responsive car then the stock Z06 alignment settings, its night and day.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by JETninja
FYI, the Corvette is lighter by about 75lbs than the M3.....but as both my cars show, smaller tires/rims and also strut front suspension can use much more camber effectively. But the setup on the Vette (from pFadt couple years ago) makes the Vette a much better and more responsive car then the stock Z06 alignment settings, its night and day.
Not going to disagree that more aggressive alignments give better response. We are concerned with tire wear daily driving and using aggressive specs is all.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got home from having alignment done on the 99 coupe. Couldn't be happier. Anyone in the Treasure Coast area needing alignment or break work done, Hickman's in Ft. Pierce Fl. is the place to go. Toby is one of the best in the business, his attention to detail is second to none and at $77.75 it's a steal. Wish I had paid closer attention to the magazine with the early 60s vette that he put on a 2000 c5 chassis. Anyway, hope this helps some Vette owners in the area. I'll be taking my 02 Z06 to him soon.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:12 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

please lets get this settlet, guys, - 0.2 means toe out and 0.2 means toe in? so factory 0.1 in front is toe in, right? rear is 0.0 1+/- 0.2. so what is better, toe in or out in the rear?
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by romandian
please lets get this settlet, guys, - 0.2 means toe out and 0.2 means toe in? so factory 0.1 in front is toe in, right? rear is 0.0 1+/- 0.2. so what is better, toe in or out in the rear?
Toe in all around. A dash means negative or outward for toe. No symbol or a + means positive or inward.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:44 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by romandian
For many, many years, cars have run with a touch of "toe-in", therefore, when the new, digital alignment equipment was developed, they had to establish a "standard" to work from. Therefore, "toe-in" was chosen as this standard, and what is a "normal" setting, ie. "toe-in", is expressed as a positive number. Therefore the opposite of "toe-in" is "toe-out" and it's assigned a negative value, to differentiate.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Lt. Dan M.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took my Z06 back to Hickman's today to get it aligned too. Again, Toby did an awesome job. So, for 1/3 of what a local "corvette" shop wanted just to do alignment on my 99 I got both Vettes aligned and by one of the best suspension guys around. Thank you Hickman's and thank you Toby.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:03 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by mrr23
Not going to disagree that more aggressive alignments give better response. We are concerned with tire wear daily driving and using aggressive specs is all.
Then you should read all of my posts in this thread, I DD'd the Z06 last winter through most of the Summer (till I got my M3 going again) and like I said I have over 40K on the car. I bought it in 2011 with 17K on it, lowered it, killed the front tires so the front NT555's went on at the 19-20K mark, and the rear NT05's went on at the 25K mark. Both front and rear have tons of tread and wear properly. My drive is 95% freeway and 29 miles each way.

I also DD'd it a bit in SoCal (we moved to the PNW in Summer of 2012) and when I first moved up here it was my only car for several months till the family, home and cars where shipped up end of summer.

As I said, its a STREET/Track setup......meant to make the car work better and not kill tires...

And these are Corvettes! Not a Camray or Accord or Prius....it should drive great all the time.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:50 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

You have something working for your driving habits. Good for you. When you have a moment take a tread depth gauge and measure from inside to outside and let me know those readings having over 1* negative camber.

Enjoy your car. The OP wanted opinions and went with mine. After all I've presented many daily driven vettes that had -0.75 camber that had inner tire wear versus that supposedly doesn't. But again your driving habits will dictate tire wear as well.

And I listened to the OP and gave my experienced input based in what he said

Originally Posted by theoldmusicman
I don't track the car at all and I'm not an real aggressive driver.

Last edited by mrr23; 11-27-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: c5 alignment