Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:31 AM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Carbon creations ZR hood
Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

B&M short throw shifter. It wasn't for me and finally ended up changing it for a C6 shifter assembly. Nothing against B&M, just short shifters in general. I found out the hard way that they are definitely not suited for daily driving.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:53 AM
SMT1004
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Tint job, went to a close location instead of known shop 25 miles away. Cost me a lot to have it redone.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I don't regret anything.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by crazystevex
Stealth light cannons V3...the quality is no where near the price point and I feel like they are going to leak water everytime I wash the car or drive in the rain.
Glad you posted this. Been looking into them hard.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:46 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

None so far, I usually think about a mod for months before pulling the trigger, have got the itch now for new Loyd Mats, not sure why but I like the logo on the mats. Still lurking on this but will probably pull trigger soon, EBAY seems to have best price.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Regretted most of the mods the previous owners did. Removed the black tail light covers first, then all of the window tint. Changed the short shifter back to stock. Sold the Borla straight pipes, and went back to stock. Sold the chrome 18's and went with TSW 17/18 with Z06 size tires. Would like to ditch the CAI too, or try and find a paper cone filter to replace the dirt passing gauze filter.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 04-22-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:07 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I picked up a complete set of drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads from a fellow forum member. I had the rotors turned, to assure a fresh face. Everything is installed and the brakes work great, but now everytime I brake, I can hear the rear brakes rubbing against the rotors. They don't squeal at all, but the noise is considerably louder than the OEM brakes. A little disappointing. Still like the drilled and slotted rotors.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Death Dream
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crazystevex
Stealth light cannons V3...the quality is no where near the price point and I feel like they are going to leak water everytime I wash the car or drive in the rain.
Thanks. I was on the fence for long time on those lights. Heard a similar complaint as well. Think I'll stick with stock lights.

My regretted mod? Window tint. Not because of the tint its self, but the guy who did it left a nice scratch on my paint job.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

McLeod Street Twin clutch. Cost me more to fix it than it did to install it, and I still ended up pulling it out and going with something else. I can't say if it was entirely the clutch's fault, since the original installer (friend of a friend...last time I ever do that) had no idea what he was doing and caused problems from the start. After that, it would never stay adjusted correctly and caused all sorts of problems.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Previous owner did some good mods. C6 shifter, Corsa exhaust, double din Kenwood with NAV, heated seats. My first mod was one of those silly looking rear license plate frames with the louvers that go over the back-up lights. Way overpriced and looked terrible. Quickly removed it and replaced it with a simple stainless steel frame.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:36 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

A well known performance company's MAF ( G.........), actually lost HP and $300's
Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

there are a few vendors I regret dealing with, one for a carbon fiber hood and the other for a supercharger
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I've ended up changing several mods on my car over the years, but some are just because I wanted a change and not really out of regret. These are the real regrets I've had.

- Biggest regret was Pfadt solid motor mounts. They made the car buzz and vibrate like an old race car, basically made it no longer enjoyable to drive on the street. That said the actual handling and engine movement control was a very nice improvement. I ended up going to the Hinson mounts and lost nothing in engine control, but gained the civility of the car back.

- When I had my new hood painted/installed along with my nose and front fenders I should have the clear bra install over the entire nose of the car. I only had the clear bra done on the nose, headlight covers and hood up to the height of the headlights for aesthetic purposes. But now after 25k miles of rock chips on the hood, I wish I just covered the whole damn thing.

- RPS Twin Light Clutch - this was a nightmare in stop and go driving. Basically an on/off switch, which combine with a big cam made the car far too challenging to drive on the street. Mantic 9000 I swapped to was a million times better.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:34 PM
cmjuhl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MAF and K&N Airfilter and bridge. Maf kept throwing a code and not sure why.
Removed all and no code. Stock everything now? Maybe Vararam some day?
Old 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I regret tinkering around with Led replacements on my radio and A/C control. Looked great after install and within a month one light would burn out, then two, then malfunctions with both components started to act up. I had a friend help and said he had done this mod on several units, I am really hesitant to do any more electrical mods on the car.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:38 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Cam with a 112 LSA

Get notified of new replies

To You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???

Old 04-22-2015, 02:47 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

For me I think if I had all the $$$ I'd still want to basically leave my old '99 Coupe pretty much the way Chevy built it. My goal is restoring not modding..seems to me the most valuable vettes are unmolested and bone stock.

I'm just not a big fan of most "mods"...I see so many cluster f*cks with electronic issues, smog problems, suspension snafu's, motor don't run right..etc. It can be a crapshoot I think.

Too many times myself, I've replaced (or mostly paid to have replaced) a perfectly good functioning factory piece with something that in the real world just didn't look, fit or feel right after I did it.

Sometimes it's simply lousy quality or customer service...

Performance-wise I find these cars even a base C5, fast as hell from the factory, plenty for the street. 0-60 less than 5 secs, Less than 14 sec in the 1/4 mi, over 170mph top end..do I need 700 hp on a dyno?? probably not.

Well you get the idea..also I really don't get lowering a car that's already only a couple inches off the ground already..I scrape a lot with a stock height car as is.

Exhaust is interesting I admit, but so far the snarly sounds a lot of them make don't appeal to me anyway. Plus the drone etc issues that comes with (remember those big block sidepipes ?) ya got flares, wheels, mats, cupholders and more it's endless.

But for you guys that love to tear it apart and put it back together I applaud you, I admire your work and enjoy your adventures and the fortunes that you can spend on your amazing custom creations..

Of course I've drooled over many of the automotive works of art I see on the forum.

OK I guess I'm from the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school..and I'll admit maybe a little sour grapes from me too, as I really can't afford all that extra gingerbread anyway.

I do have a set of those pretty logo Lloyds mats on my next yr Xmas wish list but I don't think you'd call those a real "mod".

Cheers Gang...
Old 04-22-2015, 03:03 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

That’s was well put.

Sometimes it’s the journey not the destination. I did lots things to my 99. Heads, cam, intake exhaust, suspension and electronics.
I really do enjoy the extra 130hp, but taking apart an LS1 and putting it back together was lots of fun for me. I do almost all of my own work. The last time I did something like that – I had a full head of hair and the car had a carburetor on it.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:57 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
Carbon creations ZR hood
I didn't see this post at first but this is the same hood/vendor I regret dealing with, what a total pita transaction... hood fit like crap and was molded wrong, he even admitted to me in a pm that every hood was molded the way mine was so if that's true then I guess people aren't noticing it... I ended up sending it back and feared that I wasn't going to get my money back, luckily paypal helped me out

Quick Reply: You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???