Sponsored by:

Questions about Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:31 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by darnold
...A silver steering wheel 3D emblem from forum vendor Vette Works Int. was ordered today...

...Pictures of the steering wheel badge...:

Do you have a link for that emblem on their website? Could you please post a close-up picture of your steering wheel with the emblem on it?

I'm glad to everything is coming along as planned and that the results are positive
Old 06-19-2015, 01:30 AM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GCG
Do you have a link for that emblem on their website? Could you please post a close-up picture of your steering wheel with the emblem on it?

I'm glad to everything is coming along as planned and that the results are positive
I'll get a close up posted for you later Friday.
Here is a link for the product however:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161732052041?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
NOTE: They are a CF Forum Vendor. This is just their fleabay store site. You can order from our CF site as well. I can tell you that the product is absolutely awesome!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Just received the ok to order the exhaust! I just wanted to soak that in a bit as I was starting to plan moving that item to next spring. I have an awesome wife.

The Steinjager Z06 sway bar kit with their adjustable metal end links will be here on Monday. Everything is now set for my shock/anti-roll bar install on Wednesday. Is it just me or is the car hitting the bump stops and bobbing up and down (floating feeling) becoming more and more pronounced? My thought is that it's due to me becoming way more comfortable with the car and developing some steering feel and feedback for the front wheels (who are all of these European test drivers that say our Corvettes don't have steering feedback??? ). This has been allowing me to take a few entrance and exit ramps at a faster pace than I could 4 weeks ago, and do it with a noticeable increase in safety as a result.

Anyone else have any thoughts about steering feel and feedback in our Corvettes vs. other cars such as BMW's (renowned for this), Viper's, Supra's, Porshe's, and Ferrari's ????

On another note: I was able to adjust my low beams yesterday so that they stopped pointing only 15ft in front of the car!!! My lighting was so bad that more dispersed light after the main concentration would only show about 1/4 of a block. It went pretty well with no real problems; much easier than I anticipated. Now the low beams hit the pavement about 50ft in front of the car, and the rest of the light projects about 1 block ahead.

I still hate the very yellowish tone of the light. Thus I am trying to decide between three options:
A) A brighter Halogen bulb (Either HiPro 5900 Xenon HID Halogen or Phillips CrystalVision Ultra)
B) 35w G4 HID Kit with 6k bulb
C) 55w G5 Hid Kit with 6k bulb

The G4/5 series ballast are rated highly for their quality, truly waterproof, and they have 2 year warranties; all for about $45. The brighter HID TYPE Halogen bulbs have good reviews (for both brands) and they can be had for the C5 between $13 - $17 for a set.

Any thoughts and/or advice about the low beam lighting????
Thanks.

Last edited by darnold; 06-19-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

the 6k HID's will give off a "slight" blue hue to them, I like the 5k its more of a while witch i like! I've been playing with HID's since 2007 installed them on all my cars and a LOT of friends and family's and from what I seen 55w kits (if true 55w) are they way to go IMO

I have 55w 5k set in my 03z that i'm going to swap out over this weekend it made a big improvement in night driving and never had any one flash me for blinding them

even though they say there water proof seal them any way, try to install them some place that will not get that much water kits that failed was always filled with water
Old 06-19-2015, 11:57 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Stroker87
the 6k HID's will give off a "slight" blue hue to them, I like the 5k its more of a while witch i like! I've been playing with HID's since 2007 installed them on all my cars and a LOT of friends and family's and from what I seen 55w kits (if true 55w) are they way to go IMO

I have 55w 5k set in my 03z that i'm going to swap out over this weekend it made a big improvement in night driving and never had any one flash me for blinding them

even though they say there water proof seal them any way, try to install them some place that will not get that much water kits that failed was always filled with water
Thanks Stroker. The Luminus G4's have been tested to be completely waterproof per video documentation. Their 55w G5 I have not seen any such documentation but they are AC. I have to do some more research.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:36 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Steinjager anti-roll bar kit came today!!! Pic's of the kit and the C6 Z06 shocks to come. I also owe GCG a larger pic of my steering wheel emblem. It will be in with the shock/sway bar pic's GCG.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:24 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

What does anyone think about this HID kit:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/55W-HID-KIT-A...-/300774350478
Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 AM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

All in all I'm pretty stoked. I know, I know, I still have to upload pics of the shocks and bars, but at least they've been taken. LOL!

Tomorrow morning my buddy James and I drive to Green Chevrolet to get my oil change in preparation for the wife and I going to Bloomington Gold. Both of those should be fun little road trips and the shocks & bars go on in between the two. The road trip with the wife will give me some occasion to see how the new shocks and bars feel, and the auto-x at Bloomington Gold should allow me to get a taste of how they perform.

On another note: Exhaust shipped today but it won't go on until the middle of July, and there are some other trinkets that are coming, nothing big, but nice still the same. Stay tuned.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:47 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

I'm very interested in your feedback on the sway bars, my 01z needs some help in the handling department its nothing like my 03z
Old 06-23-2015, 10:45 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm very interested in your feedback on the sway bars, my 01z needs some help in the handling department its nothing like my 03z
You've got it bro. I'll give a synopsis Thursday on both threads.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:04 AM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I also posted this in the C5 Z06 Forum for Steinjager Anti-Roll Bars.

Just got in from my evaluation cruise. All I can say about the new C6-Z06 Shocks & Steinjager Anti-Roll Bars is....

WARNING: The following will be in almost all caps, as in shouts of joy and enthusiasm.

Ok, here is the summary:

- NO MORE REAR FLOATING!!!!
- NO MORE BODY ROLL (Yes, technically I know that there still is some)!!!!
- MUCH GREATER STEERING LINEARITY JUST OFF CENTER OF THE STEERING WHEEL (instead of 15deg of playful slop there is virtually none; ok, ok, maybe 1deg)!!!!!
- SOFTER OVER THE BUMPS. THE CAR ACTUALLY RIDES BETTER, WITH NO CREEKS, CLUNKS, OR GROANS. IT ACTUALLY FEELS AND SOUNDS MORE SOLID!!!!

Oh, AND THE BIGGEST THING; THE CAR HAS WAAAYYY MORE ALL AROUND TRACTION!!!! IT ACTUALLY DRIVES LIKE A GO-KART!!!!!
End of enthusiastic rant.

So what did the Steinjager's do for me? They made me realize what a Corvette really is and why a Corvette is a Corvette. In essence I found out tonight that a Corvette is a daily driving, off the showroom floor street legal LeMan/IMSA road race car for the masses.

You see, you can add independent rear suspension to any car. You can stuff any car with a ton of H.P. You can put a great breaking system on any car. You can take out the passenger seat and strip any car to make it lighter so that it doesn't overwork the tires while accelerating and braking better in the process. Come to think of it, you can add high performance shocks, sway bars, and PU bushings to just about any car to adjust it's front/rear traction balance too. And you can even throw huge sticky tires and wheels on a lowered chassis with many cars in order to improve their cornering and grip.

BUT....putting all of that into one package that all works together to give you that go-kart/F3 driving feel while still allowing you and a passenger to ride in comfort during the mundane daily commute, even after a few hundred thousand miles, and getting 30mpg on the highway to boot.......
That's a Corvette.

Last edited by darnold; 06-30-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:50 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some pic's of the Steinjager Anti-Roll Bars installed.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:51 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a couple of more pic's.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:00 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a pic of the C6 Z06 Shocks (one front and one rear):

Old 06-27-2015, 07:29 PM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Pic's from the wife and I's visit at the Bloomington Gold Corvette show yesterday will follow. This was an awesome event even though it down poured like crazy.

I DID get to do my auto-x event, even in the crazy rain and let's just say that the new shock/sway bar package made me look fairly decent. While I was there I found some "waterless car wash" from 'Cousin Joe's' that seems fantastic. Even the wife agreed and said that I could place an online order this upcoming week. Also ran into Scott, an independent Amsoil distributor and fellow Vet (even if he IS part of the Fly Boy branch ). Not only is he a great guy but he was very knowledgeable about the Amsoil product line-up. We bought some of the "Coolant Blast" (similar to Water Wetter it seems) and wouldn't you know it? As the rain got ready to come down (again) and I really needed to go get registered for the auto-x event, the Mrs. and I walked away...without the Coolant Blast that we had paid for!! No worries though, a quick call this morning to Scott (who had given us his card praise the Lord) and our purchase will be shipped to our home at no charge to us! That's pretty cool.

Speaking of things for the coolant system, my coolant tank developed a very small leak on the upper connector the day before. So while we were perusing through the swap meet area after I got registered for the auto-x I found someone selling a coolant reservoir and bought it. I put it on last night and all is well again.

The only things that I didn't get to do yesterday was the Gold Tour (which starts with a 30mph drive on the actual Indianapolis Oval Track ), and attending the Ron Fellow's high performance driving seminar. My wife, bless her heart, did buy me a really nice Corvette sports/active long sleeve garment and new Corvette form fit 3D hat. The highlight of the event however was when she rode with me as I did my 5 passes on the auto-x course. Since it was raining and everyone was pulling out pretty early they told me I could do more if I wanted but the wife's motion sickness was finally starting to kick in. She's a trooper though for even wanting to do it.

Regarding the Corvette's handling, the initial indications were validated. Even in a downpour the Corvette had rock solid, neutral handling and it was super stable with excellent traction. Of course I DID have the Active Handling on so that might have helped just a wee bit.

Last edited by darnold; 06-29-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:03 AM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Interior letters for the passenger dash have been added. Pictures to follow.

My Ebay Replica Borla S exhaust (same as the thread) came about a week ago. It's the next mod on the docket, and it should be installed in about two weeks now. Hopefully I will also tackle the oil sender unit around that time as well. Furthermore, I have been considering the addition of a Vararam velocity stack to the TB due to the enlarged (84mm front and back) MAF. Since the stock TB has been tested to flow in the 570 CFM range I'm wondering if I can trade some of the CFM capability for some smoother flow into the TB from the larger MAF? I am thinking that smoother flow into the TB may increase the bottom RPM torque a little more and expand the low RPM smoothness that I've been enjoying due to the better plugs, wires, and dual CAI filters. I'm not looking for the 2 HP gain that it offers. I am looking for the reported driveability increase.

Anyone have any thoughts about this potential mod for my listed purpose?

Further mod's after the ones mentioned above are also being considered. After the Corvette tech at Green Chevy said that I would need new front brake pads in about 5k miles I started thinking that it might be a good time to upgrade both the pads and the rotors. For the pads I'm thinking that the Hawk HP+ compounds will work nicely for next year's events. For the rotors I am looking at getting some slotted units even though the stock ones on the car are perfectly fine. I might even finish the engine bolt-on's with the addition of some type of power bridge, depending upon if and when I can get an LS6 intake manifold. Those things are becoming like gold. Lol.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

I think you should just do a fast 92mm intake manifold, the ls6 one will cost you about $350/$400 you can pick up a used fast 92mm for $500/$600 it might be over kill now but in the long run you'll have room to grow plus you'll be upgrading to the ls2 throttle body. the swap it self is pretty simple take less then 2 hours and thats with cleaning the engine after you get your currant intake manifold off

you will need to buy a adapter harness for the ls2 TB and the TB around $250 extra

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Mod's

Old 07-09-2015, 12:38 AM
darnold
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I think you should just do a fast 92mm intake manifold, the ls6 one will cost you about $350/$400 you can pick up a used fast 92mm for $500/$600 it might be over kill now but in the long run you'll have room to grow plus you'll be upgrading to the ls2 throttle body. the swap it self is pretty simple take less then 2 hours and thats with cleaning the engine after you get your currant intake manifold off

you will need to buy a adapter harness for the ls2 TB and the TB around $250 extra
Thanks. I take it that the Ls2 TB is a better TB than our Ls1 but I am unsure as to what the improvements are, and what they do for performance. I'll look it up, but if you want to give me, and others, some quick insight I would be much obliged.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

ls2 is a 90mm tb 4 bolt flange, the stock is 78mm 3 bolt flange, the fast intake manifold is a 4 bolt flange type so you need the ls2 throttle body & adapter harness if you swap
Old 07-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

I was told by SLP that the LS1 throttle body is good up to 500 HP. On the other hand if you do anything over stock the Mass flow sensor should be replaced.

Quick Reply: Questions about Mod's