Sponsored by:

convertible top leak at the doors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM
ken90004
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default convertible top leak at the doors

I have a 99 convertible that leaks around each of the doors. It isn't bad, really. If it raining turrets, or I spray it off at the car wash, it beads up and drips in on the seats.

I keep a microfiber towel in the car now, just in case, but I'd like to fix the issues.

So far, I cleaned all the seals with a degreaser, and used silicon spray to make sure they stay pliable. I also order some 303 protector and repellant and cleaned and protected the top. I can’t see where it might be dipping in from, or how I can keep it from seeping in.

Is this a common problem I need to learn to deal with? Or is there a solution, easy or otherwise?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Deneb
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

2004, c5 vert, has the same problem. I figure new seals would fix it, since the seals are pitted, worn, and slightly misshaped. Readjusting the window may fix it. I don't drive in the rain, so its not an immediate worry for me, but your mileage may vary. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:21 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I had three drops during a 150 mile drive in pouring rain. I can live with it.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 465 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by ken90004

I have a 99 convertible that leaks around each of the doors. It isn't bad, really. If it raining turrets, or I spray it off at the car wash, it beads up and drips in on the seats.

I keep a microfiber towel in the car now, just in case, but I'd like to fix the issues.

So far, I cleaned all the seals with a degreaser, and used silicon spray to make sure they stay pliable. I also order some 303 protector and repellant and cleaned and protected the top. I can’t see where it might be dipping in from, or how I can keep it from seeping in.

Is this a common problem I need to learn to deal with? Or is there a solution, easy or otherwise?

Clean your seals again and treat them with dielectric grease

Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,219 Likes on 779 Posts

I have owned 3 previous verts (one a vette) AND THEY ALL Leaked when exposed to unusual weather or going through the car wash. With all the rubber around the windows, doors, and top pressure points, I just accept it as an issue for the privilege of having no top when the weather permits. My current 04 vert does not leak but that is because I do not drive in rain and have a top up convertible cover sold by CR supporting vendors to keep the water out when it does rain.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:19 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 133 Posts

I fixed mine when I changed the window modulator which allowed access to all of the adjustments for the window. I played with the minor adjustments you can reach through the rubber grommet on the bottom and the red reflector with no success. When the door panel is off you can see all of the points for adjustments and making the changes is easy. I also got rid of the wind noise at the same time. There is a Youtube video in the middle of this thread that shows the inside of the door and the various adjustments.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html
Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM
rdwiv
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frsr06
I fixed mine when I changed the window modulator which allowed access to all of the adjustments for the window. I played with the minor adjustments you can reach through the rubber grommet on the bottom and the red reflector with no success. When the door panel is off you can see all of the points for adjustments and making the changes is easy. I also got rid of the wind noise at the same time. There is a Youtube video in the middle of this thread that shows the inside of the door and the various adjustments.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...with-pics.html

The windows were made to be adjustable. Make sure your seals are good and adjust the windows. A reputable shop that installs tops will do a leak test for you and should be able to tell you if it is fixable if all else has failed.

Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,466 Likes on 14,062 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've got a Word file that talks about water leaks in the C5. It's too large to make as an attachment here on the forum, so if you would like a copy of the file, just PM me your e-mail address.

Get notified of new replies

To convertible top leak at the doors

Quick Reply: convertible top leak at the doors