Sponsored by:

Drove down RT66

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:14 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drove down RT66

So I'm a new c5 owner. Anyway I am from Tulsa. Well from Pittsburgh but live in Tulsa. Anyway. Today was my first chance to drive my C5 during the daylight with the top off. So I took a 2 hour drive down Route 66. It was the most enjoyment I think I have ever had driving. My back did start hurting towards the end. I'm assuming the sport seats are to blame for that. But well worth the slight discomfort. No traffic on Route 66. Was almost like being in a dream
Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTech
So I'm a new c5 owner. Anyway I am from Tulsa. Well from Pittsburgh but live in Tulsa. Anyway. Today was my first chance to drive my C5 during the daylight with the top off. So I took a 2 hour drive down Route 66. It was the most enjoyment I think I have ever had driving. My back did start hurting towards the end. I'm assuming the sport seats are to blame for that. But well worth the slight discomfort. No traffic on Route 66. Was almost like being in a dream
Tulsa in near some of the prime Route 66 territory in the nation, in my opinion. I've driven most of it, but not all, and there is MUCH to see just between the Missouri border and Oklahoma City! Of course, the same can be said for most of Route 66, IMO. If you don't have one, you should get one of the good Rt 66 guide books showing the old alignment and many of the old establishments which were there, along with some that are still in operation. A great way to spend some leisure time!!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:15 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

I'll have to get one. It was such an incredible drive. I turned around at rocks cafe. I was going to eat there but there was no parking. Haha. Then I considered driving to pops but I had other things to do today also so I didn't go but plan to at some point. My engine has some sort of a noise from the belt I'm assuming. It's not a squeak but sounds like a bearing or something in a pulley. I have a lot of work to do on it this winter. I think it had a hard life before I got it haha
Old 10-04-2015, 11:43 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Yeppers, a fun ride on old 66. I live in Edmond, about 10 miles from Pops. Glad you finally got your Vette. Tradition here on CF is to post some pics so we can all admire. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-05-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:59 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Cool. Maybe I'll be seeing you around then. I'll try to put some up tomorrow if I can figure it out. Haha. I'm still in the honeymoon phase and have probably went out to my garage about a hundred times today lol
Old 10-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,466 Likes on 14,062 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on getting your C5 - hope you enjoy the car for many years to come. And driving down RT 66 is a real treat.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:19 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

I'll look forward to it in the future. As for posting pics, most guys just get a free account at Photobucket or similar. You u/l your pics to that site, then copy the link to the pic and post it here using the little square yellow icon. Easy peasy... See ya soon
Old 10-05-2015, 12:20 AM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Thanks. I've been around corvettes since the day I was born lol. My dad still has his 1965 convertible he bought when he was 21. Always wanted a corvette. Had a 2004 GTO for about 3 years. It was nice but this C5 has that real sports car feel haha
Old 10-05-2015, 08:48 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

That's cool that your dad still has his. I've always wanted a Vette since I missed out on buying one back in 1970 (it was a 57 and highly modded). I waited a long time. Glad you didn't. I'm very familiar with the GTOs (they're very quick and basically has some really good motors) but never really cared for the looks. Always thought they were a little bland but not everyone would agree with me. The C5 has the nice curves...
Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 465 Likes on 375 Posts

I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, been a little over a year now... we live up by Enid, Ok... love the Route 66 drives... and the Talihina Drive. Pops is very cool, must do... Welcome to the C5 madness

Last edited by 73Corvette; 10-05-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Hopefully this picture shows up. This is as good as I'll be able to do for now. It's always dark by the time I get home now.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:46 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Hey Lexustech , nice ride man

Every time I hear Tulsa I think of my favorite book The Outsiders lol

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the engineering and technology of corvette compared to lexus , from a tech's point of view.

I love my vette but im a Lexus guy at heart, always will be.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Haha very hard to compare. I haven't been in a c7 but from the videos I've watched on it It's on par with Lexus. I'm comparing it to the rc-f of course. Material wise and fit and finish I'm still going to lean towards Lexus. Comparing a c5 to a 1999 Lexus for example honestly same. Technology similar. Lexus wins on fit and finish and materials. Corvette wins on fun to drive by far. Have driven the rc-f several times now and it's an incredible car. Haven't driven a new vette but comparing it to my c5 which I know isn't very fair. The rc-f feels much faster. Over 100 horsepower faster lol. And much much smoother. But I kinda like the rumble of the corvette pushrod v8 and the slight shake it has. I dunno. Just kind of rambling haha
Old 10-05-2015, 08:56 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Anyway if you have the means and are considering a c7 I would recommend at least test driving a rc-f as well. Especially with the torque vectoring differential.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusTech
Haha very hard to compare. I haven't been in a c7 but from the videos I've watched on it It's on par with Lexus. I'm comparing it to the rc-f of course. Material wise and fit and finish I'm still going to lean towards Lexus. Comparing a c5 to a 1999 Lexus for example honestly same. Technology similar. Lexus wins on fit and finish and materials. Corvette wins on fun to drive by far. Have driven the rc-f several times now and it's an incredible car. Haven't driven a new vette but comparing it to my c5 which I know isn't very fair. The rc-f feels much faster. Over 100 horsepower faster lol. And much much smoother. But I kinda like the rumble of the corvette pushrod v8 and the slight shake it has. I dunno. Just kind of rambling haha
Thanks man

Yes the vette wins out in terms of fun to drive and overall exterior styling forsure, no doubt about it.

The RC-f sounds like a fun car to drive, but sadly I don't like the exterior, it looks to me like a Honda accord, just very average.

Lexus keeps dropping the ball on their coupe, from the feminine sc430 to this Rc-f, they should of stepped it way up. They are losing a lot of followers and they don't seem to realize it.

Im out of the coupes altogether now and im into the LS's only.

Ls460 is my current goal, preferably the L
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Hey I agree. We joke about that at work. It does look like an accord for sure hahaha. The ls460 is probably the best comfy road trip vehicle you could get. I love driving them. Unfortunately like all flagship luxury cars they have horrible resale. But I'm not in sales lol. I do enjoy driving them around though. They are pretty fast too. Especially a ls600hl. Lol
Old 10-06-2015, 09:10 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Good job on the pics, they showed up just fine. Very nice car you've got there. Love the dark windows and the sharp wheels. Really makes the dark car pop. I still regularly go to the garage to take a look at mine as well and I've had it for 4 years now...

Get notified of new replies

To Drove down RT66

Old 10-06-2015, 01:37 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Thanks. I really enjoy this car so far. And I really don't see that changing at all. It's pretty fast and looks great. Sure there are faster cars out there but it's fast enough to put a smile on my face!
Old 10-06-2015, 03:19 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Glad to hear about some car happiness, and congratulations on your buying decision.

Way out west on the other end of route 66, the terminus is down slope to a parking area on the Santa Monica pier. The old wooden boards are still in service and there is a slight tourist area with arcades and a coupe of restaurants , with a fully restored classic merry go round, but they don't run the band box often, just a recording. The real attraction is muscle beach on the sand to the left. Yoga and acrobats from the various cerque de sole shows out practicing have the place going nuts.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:59 PM
LexusTech
Intermediate

Pretty excited. When I got my c5 it had one key and no fobs. Ordered the key fobs for like 25 bucks on eBay. Programmed using the YouTube video no problem. Keyless entry. Way easier than Lexus haha

Quick Reply: Drove down RT66