Sponsored by:

How long does it take for a tuner to start work after drop-off

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 09:49 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by crazystevex
Well I took a car in to get a engine swap once because I didnt have a lift, The first shop told me every week for 2 months that they were "getting started on it right away" and they never touched it.

So I took it to another shop that had it done in a week but they messed up the fuel rail on the install and caught the engine of fire (I found out later when I fixed the o-rings they tore in half on the fuel rail. That they offered to fix for an extra $300...). Which lead to the car trying to burn itself to the ground a year later with wiring issues and never running again.

Moral of the story, work on it yourself...
Wow, just wow! Sorry man, horrible story. Hope you've had better fortune since...
I only did one engine swap in my life (modified 350LT1 into my 305 powered Monza), rented a lift, worked out fine.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
....AND to "tune" your car all you needed was a timing light and a screw driver .... ah, the "good ole days".
I must have been a "big shot".......I had a tach/dwell meter too!!
Old 10-08-2015, 04:35 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I must have been a "big shot".......I had a tach/dwell meter too!!
TOO high tech for me... most of my tunes were strictly by ear... NOT NOW... for one I can't hear anymore and I don't have the tech skills that would be required for engine management. Hell, I can barely post on the forum...
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by resipsa
How long does it typically take a tuner to start a job like a cam swap or gear-set change after you drop off the car? For example, after dropping off the car, does it sit for two-three weeks before the tuner starts the work. Is this typical or the exception.
How much money did you give him to get started? What kind of arrangements did you and he discuss?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neutron82
well you should also never rush a mechanic... if you want it done right you're going to have to pay for it and wait... if I'm not getting paid properly and being rushed well that's what you're going to get, a rushed job... I don't necessarily see anything wrong with them getting it done when it's done per say, but they should always keep you up to date as to what's going on... $h*t happens and there is almost always a snag along the way so I hate promising times, if anything I would over quote the time frame to allow for any inconveniences and usually will be able to deliver it sooner and that usually makes people happy... I just hate hate hate being rushed
When I was in the maintenance side of the house in the Marine Corps, a favorite expression was, there's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
When I was in the maintenance side of the house in the Marine Corps, a favorite expression was, there's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

AND, while there's seldom enough $$$ to "do it right" the first time, there's always the $$ to fix it.......

Quick Reply: How long does it take for a tuner to start work after drop-off