Sponsored by:

Windshield scratches question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 06:25 PM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Windshield scratches question

My brand new daily driver (Rav4) which I picked up Jan 2nd in the evening has about 15 scratch marks mostly vertical in direction on the windshield. We noticed these the very next morning. Did not use any window scrapers etc. It appears that perhaps when someone removed the plastic film they may have used a box cutter or sharp object. I went back to the dealership and they said their windshield repair guy would look at it. I really don't want them to replace the windshield as feel there is the potential for leaks etc. If they offer to repair the scratches thru buffing/polishing or resin filling is this really acceptable? My first feeling is to demand they refund my money or replace the car. Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I wouldn't have any issues with them replacing the windshield. I've had mine done before and have had zero problems with it. It actually needs another one since it's getting the little rock chips in it all over the place again.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,301 Likes on 13,974 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Don't expect the dealership to refund your money or replace the car...that's absurd. They might replace the windshield (which you said you don't want) or they might be able to repair it like how it's done with small chips and cracks. Those are likely your two choices, but don't expect to get a full refund or another new car just because of some scratches on the windshield.
It would be a miracle if they agreed to replace the car. No real reason to not have them replace the windshield - it's done all the time for cracks, etc. and a reputable shop can do it with no issues afterwards. Your dealer may subcontract the work anyway to another vendor.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:38 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I have had many windshields replaced over the years without a problem. Those guys know what they are doing.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Why worry about leaks? Windshield guys know their stuff these days. I can't recall the last time I heard of anyone having a windshield leak. Roof leaks? yes. Side window leaks? yes. Windshield leaks? Not unless they were cracked. If you know of any, you know more than I do. I wouldn't worry at all about just having it replaced.

Last edited by CactusCat; 01-03-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:23 AM
OKZ06
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

None of the Toyota's at the dealership I work at are delivered with a film on the windshield.

What happened?
No clue, good luck with whatever outcome they decide.
The following users liked this post:
OUTAKTRL (01-08-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I wouldn't have any issues with them replacing the windshield. I've had mine done before and have had zero problems with it. It actually needs another one since it's getting the little rock chips in it all over the place again.
I agree. Just make sure they use OEM glass. Most glass shops will charge a little more and try to talk you out of it because their margin is likely lower on it. I've never had issue when OEM glass was used.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:16 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

they can't not use a resin like they use to fill chip's in a windshield due to the fact that in order for the resin to be used it has to have something to fill...I own a glass shop and we do this daily on car windshield's most likely they will use what we call a rare earth cerium oxide glass polish which they will have to apply the cerium oxide to the glass with a special wheel and it will distort your glass esp. if they are in sight of your view when you drive, some people it can even make them sick...if they are that bad i would have them replace your windshield with new...after all its a daily and your gonna need one sooner or later
Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Originally Posted by OKZ06
None of the Toyota's at the dealership I work at are delivered with a film on the windshield.

What happened?
No clue, good luck with whatever outcome they decide.
We did have a ice/sleet/snow storm which left about 4 inches of icy mix which you could walk on without sinking in so maybe the lot guy just hacked at it or something. The random but mostly vertical scratches is odd as usually when you scrape, it is side to side. But in all my years in New England I have never scratched my windshields.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:07 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Thanks to everyone for their input, knowledge and advice. I feel much better now about the situation. Replacing the windshield vs repair is what I will have them do. You all are the best!
Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

What does a C5 windshield go for? Is it a special model that is designed to work with the HUD?
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by jjc508520
What does a C5 windshield go for? Is it a special model that is designed to work with the HUD?
----
An OEM (GM) HUD windshield is north of $1000 installed. A non-HUD windshield is $250-$300 or so. Aftermarket HUD windshields are available for $600-$700. Many owners report a clear HUD image with non-HUD windshields, so there's lots of options.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Don't expect the dealership to refund your money or replace the car...that's absurd. They might replace the windshield (which you said you don't want) or they might be able to repair it like how it's done with small chips and cracks. Those are likely your two choices, but don't expect to get a full refund or another new car just because of some scratches on the windshield.
Went to the dealership Mon. and asked for windshield replacement and not a buff out repair. They were still non-committal so I told them I would return the car. They then agreed to replace the windshield asking if I wanted OEM, which of course I do. This dealer has a 48hr return policy on new cars if not satisfied.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:24 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by VettesGoneWild
Went to the dealership Mon. and asked for windshield replacement and not a buff out repair. They were still non-committal so I told them I would return the car. They then agreed to replace the windshield asking if I wanted OEM, which of course I do. This dealer has a 48hr return policy on new cars if not satisfied.
Good rational decision

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield scratches question

Quick Reply: Windshield scratches question