Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?

GP OPEN HERE:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594672787

I have been asked in passing my a few customers and think it's time to consider it as a viable option to produce a low-rise headlight kit. The kit would include the following:

Dual projectors: HID powered low, LED powered high (2500lm LED high)
Bi-xenon function NOT available for this small of projector
Aluminum Projector headlight mounting frame
Hardware to modify lifting mechanism
Bolt-on ABS Shroud (similar to factory shroud in texture)

Est cost for the kit would be in the $1200 range.

Should we look into doing this?

EDIT: using better style projectors (See post #17) We can get the est price down to $800/set

Research and development Procedure:

1. Design/build mounting frame for new projectors - Completed
2. Design/build bump-stop modified lifting arm assembly - Completed
3. Design/build prototype shroud. - Pending

Open up a discount price pre-sale GP for the first 10 customers.

4. Have prototype shroud mold 3D laser-scanned into data file - Pending
5. Use data file to create matched pair solid tool for thermo-forming - Pending
6. Build first 10 test sets (Customer feedback) - Pending

Given the simplicity of the ABS shrouds and the desire to get these into production as soon as possible, I will be trimming these by hand.

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 05-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheRadioFlyer:
IAmIronVan (04-28-2017), VerTigo456 (04-21-2017)
Old 02-15-2016, 12:22 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I wouldn't have an interest in the low-rise setup because I have your original bi-xenon setup and like them - a lot! That said, $1200 is pretty high for what you'd get. Low rise looks cool but most of us don't drive around in the daylight where it would make any difference. The cars are also aging and I'm not sure it would be a good investment on a car that can be purchased these days for less the $20,000. Upgrading to a C6 might be a better choice since they are also falling in value.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:43 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I have been asked in passing my a few customers and think it's time to consider it as a viable option to produce a low-rise headlight kit. The kit would include the following:

Dual projectors: HID powered low, LED powered high (2500lm LED high)
Bi-xenon function NOT available for this small of projector
Aluminum Projector headlight mounting frame
Hardware to modify lifting mechanism
Bolt-on ABS Shroud (similar to factory shroud in texture)

Est cost for the kit would be in the $1200 range.

Should we look into doing this?
I vote yes. Your ability to provide an ABS shroud has already been demonstrated in your earlier Light Cannons, so I would think that particular part would be relatively easy(er) to produce this time 'round, given you've already done all the R&D in that regard.

Another thought: Is there a free-form reflector available for use in the high beam side instead of a projector? I'm thinking reflector/projector cost difference here.

I bring up both these two things in the interest of cost reduction. $1000 or slightly under will bring more buyers I think.

YMMV
Old 02-15-2016, 12:48 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I vote yes. Your ability to provide an ABS shroud has already been demonstrated in your earlier Light Cannons, so I would think that particular part would be relatively easy(er) to produce this time 'round, given you've already done all the R&D in that regard.

Another thought: Is there a free-form reflector available for use in the high beam side instead of a projector? I'm thinking reflector/projector cost difference here.

I bring up both these two things in the interest of cost reduction. $1000 or slightly under will bring more buyers I think.

YMMV
I don't yet have all the R&D, but I know the process required. I would still have to build a mold, Laser scan it, have the solid-model cleaned up build and CNC-trimmed mirror-imaged mold set from the solid model for thermoforming. The initial investment is large, but the production is FAR easier and less expensive than carbon fiber, fiberglass or any other hand-laid material.

There is no reflector I have yet heard of that would provide the output needed in that small of a size.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:54 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

There is no reflector I have yet heard of that would provide the output needed in that small of a size.
Anything in the Hella Optilux line?

Last edited by LoneStarFRC; 02-15-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:06 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Anything in the Hella Optilux line?
Aesthetics aside, My experience with the optilux line is that the output (pattern) leaves much to be desired as a driving/fog light much less a high beam.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:09 PM
00Midnight
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am interested but $1200 is steep to invest. I have a very good quality driver car. I suppose one would buy them if they were into serious mods. Get the price under 900 and then you get my attention. However, I am sure $1200 is a good deal considering the engineering and light quality.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:27 PM
RVETTE42
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts

I have your light cannons with halo's and have been happy with them. I don't think our c5's need the lamps lowered to look good just my opinion. Some cars like the Miata NA models it makes a big difference.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:57 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Despite fancy names, in the end, they are just headlights.. Since I rarely drive my vette with lights on, these would need to be under $400.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:39 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Crosis
Despite fancy names, in the end, they are just headlights.. Since I rarely drive my vette with lights on, these would need to be under $400.
if you rarely drive at night, this might be something to consider:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
Old 02-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

While I think your ACA's are the perfect option, I do have a fondness for the low rise headlight mod. I say yes, but caution the $1200 price point. These cars are getting older by the day and thus cheaper by the day. There's not as much money in the C5 world anymore and that price point would limit your sales pretty firmly. Granted you have to make a profit too, so it's a catch 22 there.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:18 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

It seems like price is the biggest concern. The issue is there's nearly as much engineering required for this kit as the SLC kit and the projectors (the only sealed projectors small enough to justify a low-rise) are quite expensive.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 AM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Unless you made a sealed headlight. You made the cover that's flush with the body on your SLC kits so one would think you could make a front lense similar to the oem/aca's. That way you can source different projectors/parts and maybe even avoid a second projector as the one could actually be bi-xenon.

The back of the headlight would be relatively simple compared to a molded shroud as seen on your light cannons (?) and the sun guns. Almost a rectangle with 2 holes and the lighting components mounted to it with a lense on the front. I understand depth is an issue here so a front lense might be difficult but it's worth looking into if it opens component options up.

I know this is a dated photoshop I did but ever since seeing the low opening mod I've been trying to get ideas on how to execute a sealed headlight that looks similar this:

Last edited by nvusgt; 02-17-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:39 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by nvusgt
Unless you made a sealed headlight. You made the cover that's flush with the body on your SLC kits so one would think you could make a front lense similar to the oem/aca's. That way you can source different projectors/parts and maybe even avoid a second projector as the one could actually be bi-xenon.

The back of the headlight would be relatively simple compared to a molded shroud as seen on your light cannons (?) and the sun guns. Almost a rectangle with 2 holes and the lighting components mounted to it with a lense on the front. I understand depth is an issue here so a front lense might be difficult but it's worth looking into if it opens component options up.

I know this is a dated photoshop I did but ever since seeing the low opening mod I've been trying to get ideas on how to execute a sealed headlight that looks similar this:

I see what you're saying but from a initial design/tooling standpoint, creating a rigid/solid mount for the lights in a sealed housing would be even more expensive than simply purchasing sealed projectors. At that point we also run the risk of a fragile housing (compared to the hella 50mm) and the extremely high costs of a short production run.

With the hella modules, the only parts we would have to design would be the molds for the shrouds, hardware for the low-rise modification and the bracket for installation. All of these can be done with relatively short-run production.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 PM
paul17
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes George very interested is hoping for this from you
Old 02-18-2016, 08:07 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

I will be contacting my supplier to see if I can get bulk pricing on the projector components. If i can get better pricing, I may do a group buy.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:17 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

After much research, I found some interesting info. The Existing kits use the Hella 50mm projectors for high and low beam. Disregard anything about the 50mm measurement because the actual projector lens is not.

It's interesting to note that the overall diameter of the 60mm is actually smaller than the 50mm version. This would allow for an even lower-rising headlight than the existing version.

Lens size (and quality) are key factors in determining the output, width and sharpness of the pattern.

The 50mm Low beam has a fresnel lens that is 45mm in diamater.

This contributes greatly to a narrow and rather blurry cutoff (shown using a halogen light source for comparison purposes)

Compare this to another style of projector originally used with our SLC V1 headlight. The Hella 60mm Projector features a MUCH larger reflector bowl and a substantially larger crystal clear 57mm focal lens.

The result is a wider/brighter and sharper pattern (also with halogen bulb):

The 60mm series has identical size high and low beam lenses and best of all is substantially less expensive than the 50mm series. The fancy bezels of the 50mm are not present, but the textured black finish are more stealthy and would nicely match the shroud.

With these new projectors, we can realistically project a sale price of $800/set.

Here are some output shots of our SLC V1 with the 60mm projectors. The same kind of performance can be expected with the new low-rise design....for which we are also seeking a name to differentiate our design from the sun guns.

Pattern output on wall at dusk using 35w 6000K HID kit:

Camera Tripod at 30 yards away:

Camera Tripod at 50 yards away

Last edited by TheRadioFlyer; 02-18-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?

Old 02-18-2016, 03:17 PM
paul17
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait
Old 02-18-2016, 05:58 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

............ The same kind of performance can be expected with the new low-rise design....for which we are also seeking a name to differentiate our design from the sun guns.
Sounds interesting George. Those might work very well.

PM me for my suggestion for a name for these.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:06 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Sounds interesting George. Those might work very well.

PM me for my suggestion for a name for these.
I have disabled PMs as they are impossible to sort/search.

my email is: radioflyer97@gmail.com

Quick Reply: Should Radioflyer Innovations make a Low-rise Headlight kit?