Sponsored by:

C5 Final Design Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
Well, of course you're marketing it. You're coming into an assembled forum (demo target) of C5 Corvette owners, proposing a group purchase and speaking openly about coordinating with composite production companies.

As stated...build it one off. A shop will likely charge you a MINIMUM of 8k to do that, including paint. Not to mention, the methods they will likely employ will have the car carrying around an additional 150lbs of mass. I'd build it mostly out of foam, undersized by a 1/16, then overlay it, pull the parts, then mold it in. I've done tons of this work, but our locations are too far apart. I'm over 800 miles from you.

Again, I think you can do better on the front...it's boring.

Do more renditions of it, keep it in this thread.
I just went about it wrong if that's how it came across. My heart was in the right place. Thanks for the input though. I wish I had gone to school for this to do it myself. Man, how awesome that would be to take something in your head and make it real with your own hands. I've got several renditions of the front end in my profile. There's always that fine line between "just enough and too much". Thanks RC
Old 04-12-2016, 11:38 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is that the SLP Loudmouths on your car? Exhaust looks shiny!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by druz06
Is that the SLP Loudmouths on your car? Exhaust looks shiny!
Yes, it is. I polished the tips and pipes.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

If I came on the forum and said I have a silver car and want to black out lights and whatever else, plus add black wheels, and a rear spoiler I would expect to get some of this same treatment. The OP has maybe his dream car and has some (to some) out there ideas, I say GOOD FOR YOU follow your dreams with one of the greatest cars on the planet (in the general pay grade) People with imagination and dreams is how the Corvette has become and will stay such a fantastic car !!!
The following users liked this post:
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
twill
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by akapounder
If I came on the forum and said I have a silver car and want to black out lights and whatever else, plus add black wheels, and a rear spoiler I would expect to get some of this same treatment. The OP has maybe his dream car and has some (to some) out there ideas, I say GOOD FOR YOU follow your dreams with one of the greatest cars on the planet (in the general pay grade) People with imagination and dreams is how the Corvette has become and will stay such a fantastic car !!!
To me the thing that makes this car so great is that it seems that most of the cars that I am seeing are totally unique! Each of us are making our cars what WE want them to be. I bought my car last year for $20k, in the past year I have spent close to $10k on mods to make it WHAT I WANT IT TO BE. I am having a ball with the car and would do it again tomorrow.
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Thanks Buddy,

It isn't my dream car yet, once it's finished it will be. Then again, will there ever be a point where I look at it and say, yep it's done? Probably not. I would like to completely redesign the interior. That will never happen but I can dream. I appreciate the positive reply. With My Dad being recently diagnosed with cancer, My car kinda keeps my mind off it. Today I will go into the garage and find something on it to polish or make better with what I have. I still think the C5 is the best looking Vette ever. I can just sit there and stare at it and it doesn't get old.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by twill
To me the thing that makes this car so great is that it seems that most of the cars that I am seeing are totally unique! Each of us are making our cars what WE want them to be. I bought my car last year for $20k, in the past year I have spent close to $10k on mods to make it WHAT I WANT IT TO BE. I am having a ball with the car and would do it again tomorrow.
If by 'totally unique' you mean exactly the same, then I would agree with you.

For the most part, all the cars here seem to copy each other with very little variety. Whenever someone jumps out of the norm, they get heavily criticized or called a fool almost immediately. I am all for new ideas when they are feasible. With that said, a complete body kit would be a hard sell to the average C5 owner as they are typically very stuck in their ways and also very cheap. If the OP can pull it off on just his car, then I'd applaud him.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by twill
Twill, We will have to get together, Your car looks awesome. We can do the great lakes tour and take over Sheetz from the ricers
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
Eric02Vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by Black 02

For the most part, all the cars here seem to copy each other with very little variety. Whenever someone jumps out of the norm, they get heavily criticized or called a fool almost immediately. I am all for new ideas when they are feasible. With that said, a complete body kit would be a hard sell to the average C5 owner as they are typically very stuck in their ways and also very cheap. If the OP can pull it off on just his car, then I'd applaud him.
Thanks Bro. I completely understand everything you said in this reply. At all the local meets it seems to be that way. One thing I've noticed is that many owners seem to go to bat for what mods they've done. If you don't have what they have, you are this or that. Almost as if the companies making their mods are paying them to endorse the product. I say, do what you want with your car, do it your way. No one else is going to drive it or polish it. Yes, I've taken quite a bit of heat for my "different" vision of the car, many people like it a lot and some don't. It won't change the outcome. I will get this car done one way or the other. We all can agree we are starting with one great platform for personalized expression I love seeing other peoples Vettes and ideas. If I don't have something nice to say, I generally won't say it. That's like meeting someone and saying Hi, Nice to meet you, your shirt is ugly.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:19 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I like everything you had done, except the yellow wheels. I'm a big fan of black wheels on red or yellow cars, but the chrome is great, too.
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:22 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

There's one thing I have learned to be fact in the custom car world. Don't ask, just do. When people came to my shop, they'd give me the outline...idea, and a lot of times, I'd dispose of a lot of it. Why? Because people don't really know what they want. It takes creative people to just DO IT and then you'll have people jump on board and like it. In the Corvette world, I've found that regardless how hideous something is, someone will like it...that's just the demo of the car.

When you take a pool of generally middle to late aged, former white collar, earning over 70k/per year, they aren't exactly the demo that's "in tune" with fashion. Think of it this way, if GM ASKED Corvette ownership if they could make the taillights like the current C7 has, they'd have gotten a 95% NO...HELL NO. The talented design folks though, KNEW it needed done, that the design needed to attract new buyers, not the same old same old...so they just did it. Based upon sales thus far, the decision was the right one, all day long.

Asking opinions about what someone thinks indicates one of two things: 1. You have confidence issues or 2. You want to market it to sell it
The following 2 users liked this post by RC000E:
Black 02 (04-12-2016), Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black 02

there is only so much you can do to our cars without unlimited funds, That is why in another thread TO KEEP IT STOCK, I say do what you want to make it yours. I have been teased about my Minion, to which I say who else has one ???
Eric02Vert (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

there is only so much you can do to our cars without unlimited funds, That is why in another thread TO KEEP IT STOCK, I say do what you want to make it yours. I have been teased about my Minion, to which I say who else has one ???
Now I need to get a Minion for my hood!!!

Just kidding pounder!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:56 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rico7142
Now I need to get a Minion for my hood!!!

Just kidding pounder!!!
I have one for you

Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 PM
Rico7142
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 340 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I have one for you

Nice
Old 04-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Studying4boards
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 102 Posts

People who have bought from "big established" companies have had issues with the fit and finish of these "quality" parts. A company with excellent manufacturing that puts out laser straight fit and finish products would get my business. So far, there are none. Therefore, my Z remains stock.
Eric02Vert (04-13-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

To do what you're proposing requires molds that are cost prohibitive for all but the strongest of markets/customer demand. If you're going to sell 500-1000 units/mo, billet molds are viable but...otherwise, low production molds that are reinforced will get you close. China is helping slowly and making dents in that market. The relationship of doing development in the US and getting production out of china or the Philippines is worth exploring. I've also been talking with some up and coming Mexican ownership, but...in terms of low production C5 stuff...forget it.

The way you need to look at it is, you buy the parts you can get for "x" amount of dollars, then you spend another "x" amount to make it fit and get painted. The parts are there, but you have to make them work.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Final Design Update

Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
China is helping slowly.

Helping how? By ruining America? Sorry, OP.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I hope you continue on with this project and I cant wait to see what it looks like. After all is said and done for "your" car then I would look into selling it or you can just keep it a one-off special edition
Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
Helping how? By ruining America? Sorry, OP.
That's a perspective of some people, not others. There is a ton of advantages to the aftermarket by integrating china. You know how many guys on here run XS Power exhausts and headers? The technology is raped, but that raping was done by an American, not a chinese person. I speak with the Chinese regularly, they simply are there as an asset to do bottom level production, at a cheaper rate. Utilizing these resources in america, are absolutely critical to growth for companies.

Factory Five is a perfect example. They put out fantastic kits, spawn tons of enthusiasts, etc. They provide a kit very affordably, but can only do so with the help of chinese manufacturers. The kits are build here, fabricated here, but many build components come out of china...pre-cut/pre-notched tubing, various build materials, etc.

The chinese have cheaper labor, but they have very limited expertise. At the same time, TONS of americans are making a living utilizing china. China isnt the enemy, but lazy *** americans seem to want to make it that way (not speaking to you specifically here). The US market forces companies to cut costs, become more competitive, and fight for the dollar. Our economy, our unions, our own corporate laws put buyers in this position.

Point is, some people complain about it, but most people harness it. You can essentially exploit these people. You can do the same from the Mexicans, and utilize NAFTA. You play the hand your dealt in poker, you bluff, you read your opponent, etc.

It's my belief that China will fall into place. They will be the mass production, low technology center. They can produce in mass, what we assemble and use here. We do the R&D, we do the innovation, and they make the morsels by being the production company. What that can very well lead to here is more small business and more entrepreneurs using that resource. China has spawned TONS and TONS of online businesses owned by house wives, moms, and people trying to get ahead. I know tons of them.

Last edited by RC000E; 04-12-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Quick Reply: C5 Final Design Update