Sponsored by:

front plate recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Doug34
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front plate recommendations

I live in a state that feels I must display a front tag, I suppose a front license plate will help me know which car belongs to me in a crowded parking,also help know which is the corvette in the garage and which vehicle is my Traverse, also, I will not take my riding lawn mower to work. If it does not have a front plate it most likely is not a motor vehicle. my question is this: I am wondering what hide away type license plate bracket would forum members buy ( or not purchase ) for the front of a C5 corvette. power or remote control plate brackets do not interest may, I would like to purchase one that other owners like. Thanking you in advance....Doug 34 Land of the free, because of the brave
Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 PM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Here on some options discussed in the past:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ttle-cans.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-mod-2.html

Last edited by Sydwayz; 05-29-2016 at 10:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

In some states, the retractable/hide-away license plate holders are illegal. Might want to check with your state and see what the law is there. Personally, I just mount mine in the stock location provided on the car and use a body colored stock license plate surround to help with the looks.

Some forum members have purchased a clear cover and then painted around the edges to kind of frame in the plate under the cover. Looks pretty good IMO.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:05 AM
MikeWyatt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I just trust that police officers have better things to do than worry about my license plate. I do HAVE the plate-in the compartment in back.

I don't make myself an obvious target (other than a bright red 'Vette!), and if stopped for another offense, I'll quickly accept guilt, then hope to plead my way out of a second ticket from improper display of the front tag.

By the way- at the time of the pic to the right- I DID carry the tag, and have since obtained a cover.

Last edited by MikeWyatt; 05-30-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:21 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

I'd do this before dealing with a hideaway plate. You're going to have to drill something somewhere to mount a hideaway bracket.

Clear front plate is a very common aftermarket item from a few C5 vendors. You can have a few online outlets mix paint to match your car to put into an aerosol spray can. Then from the inside of the cover, mask off a window, then lay some layers down. Or you can just run the clear cover itself as is if you don't want to deal with paint work and still retain the lines of the C5's front fascia.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM
Clancy209
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 111 Posts

My profile picture is my long road trip solution, the plate section I had cut out and sewn in clear plastic about 40mm thick by an seat cover manufactuerer. My every day is the painted clear front cover like pictures above.

Last edited by Clancy209; 05-30-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 PM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeWyatt
I just trust that police officers have better things to do than worry about my license plate. I do HAVE the plate-in the compartment in back.

I don't make myself an obvious target (other than a bright red 'Vette!), and if stopped for another offense, I'll quickly accept guilt, then hope to plead my way out of a second ticket from improper display of the front tag.

By the way- at the time of the pic to the right- I DID carry the tag, and have since obtained a cover.
Your correct, the majority of police officers do have better things to do than worry about front license plates. I'm a LEO...been one for over 23 years. Yes...in law enforcement, as well as in every other business, there are sticklers. And, in every department there's a few officers that carry the vehicle code around under their arm like a "preacher with a bible". There's no getting around that.

My plate is mounted under my stock cover. My cover is held on with two strips of Velcro. If I get stopped..and it does happen...I pull off the stock cover and use the excuse that I was just at a car show and forgot to take the cover back off before heading home. I would say that "most" officers are reasonable about that.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 04:01 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

In New Jersey, you are not allowed to block the state name by a plate frame and LEO's do sometimes ticket people for that. However I have not run a front plate for over a dozen years and have never been stopped for that. I do have it mounted in the stock location under the cover, haven't had to take it off yet. I recently had my plate mount on my regular driver knocked off so I had to drive without the plate until I got a chance to fix it. No one noticed and I didn't get stopped at all. I think that might partly be because I live close to Pennsylvania, a one plate state. There is so much PA traffic locally that the first reaction is that it is a PA car.
Doug34 (05-31-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM
Bob_VII
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

California requires front plates, too. I still don't run one, haven't been cited for it even after being pulled over for other issues. I have seen parking enforcement write plate tickets, though. But basically, I'll just consider my first citation, if/when it ever happens, a "beauty tax."
Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

i don't think wife has front plates on any of her three cars but will have to go look at vettes to be sure . supposedly the local police won't stop you and write a ticket but will ticket you for no front plate if you are stopped for another reason .. .peace

Get notified of new replies

To front plate recommendations

Quick Reply: front plate recommendations