Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone recently buy a '98 C5 Vert for $11k? LS1techer admits to screwing people over

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 12:26 PM
wrkdWS6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Anyone recently buy a '98 C5 Vert for $11k? LS1techer admits to screwing people over

I apologize if this is the wrong section but I wanted to bring this to the attention of the C5 crowd. If you happen to be the victim here or know who is please pass this on. Perhaps it will help the person in getting restitution.

Link to thread on LS1tech:
http://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lo...dont-care.html

"Anyone ever flip cars on the side, completely dick over the new buyer and dont care?
Just wondering because I've been thinking about it lately and kinda felt bad. As a side point, i try to weed out the buyers to people that have money so it wont be that big of a deal. Just nothing like shipping the cars out on
ebay (and craigslist if im lucky). I usually am only lucky enough to find ones that are not gonna be sold in person for much money and will sit and wait for eons until someone comes along wanting to ship it. Buy it for 4000 bucks, make the pics look real good, and WAM. Sell for 8500, get wire transfer the next day and put 'er on the truck. I've lately however been feeling bad about it and am probably going to stop... but here's the worst I just did:

98 C5 Vette convertible..bought for..$3900(!) sold for $11,000. Looked great in pictures, but boy was she shot. 93k miles. Top was done, all wheels were curbed, paint was completely roasted on all panels, engine made loud squeaking noise that would not go away (turns out cracked harmonic balancer)Previous major collision not noted on carfax verified by techs at GM dealer (all aftermarket parts too nonetheless -- gaps were awful), trans slipped in all gears, engine didn't have the greatest oil pressure. All
tires were shot. Seals in all windows were roasted so you heard crazy wind noise. Pics came out great cuz I took them from far away and it was a cloudy day. Talked to the buyer on the phone for several hours and told him it was the best vette he'll ever see. Sent me the money the next day.

Guy got the car and literally cried on the phone told me it was 2 years of saving half of his SS checks to buy the car He turned around and sold it a week later for $5000 less than he paid for it. Yeah, i know im a jackass but hey if it wasn't me some other asshat dealer was going to do it."

Unbelievable right!?

Last edited by wrkdWS6; 07-28-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Fix link
Old 07-28-2016, 12:45 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Ohh man now that is messed up. Feel bad for the buyer but sadly things like this happen all the time. If this story is true, that guy is brave for coming out and admitting to doing this type of stuff. Goes to show that no matter how good a car looks in pics and how good a person can make it sound, u have to take necessary precaution when buying a vehicle, especially one u cant see in person or else something like this can and will happen.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Brings the phrase "CAVEAT EMPTOR" to mind. But I also think the seller has a responsibility also. Greed and money almost always brings out the bad in some. What ever happened to the time when a man's word and reputation meant something?
Old 07-28-2016, 01:05 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't feel bad for anyone in this situation. Dude is just flipping cars, a dealership is no different. He takes the flip to an extreme, but at the same time, it takes 2 to tango..
Its messed up, but hes right in the last statement- dealer would have done it anyways. Buying a 5k car and detailing it, selling it for around 10k is nothing out of the ordinary for these sleazeball beat-up car dealerships. They just bandaid the obvious, let you deal with the real problems
Old 07-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

http://ls1tech.com/forums/racer-s-lo...dont-care.html This is the actual thread link.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

That's what happen when you buy a car without been physically there. I can't even believed that by the cars description he made it look good in the pictures.

Sorry for the buyer but at least he got some money back, needless to say that there still a lot of naive folks out there.

Live and learn !!!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:53 PM
kcobain147
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

Prime reason why i wanted a car w/in 100 mi of me. A few people told me i should buy from someone on the forum, or have someone else inspect for me if it was far. Sorry - but I'm not exactly the most trusting individual - due to deuchebags like this. Did i over pay on mine? Yep. A bit. But, I knew exactly what I was getting.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:12 PM
Shakeydeal
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 254 Posts

Pictures can and do lie. But that guy deserves a good, old fashioned, southern fried *** whipping.

Years ago when I was shopping for a motorcycle for my wife, I drove almost 4 hours to look at an HD Fatboy I saw on Craigslist. Pictures looked great and the price was right. When I got there (it was in the 'hood), the bike wasn't even there. I had to follow the guy a few miles away through a sketchy neighborhood to see the thing. And it was a piece of junk. I'm just glad it was in the middle of the day and not after dark.

Don't trust pictures. See it in person.

Shakey

Last edited by Shakeydeal; 07-28-2016 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My Brother had been looking for a 1976 Laguna S3 forever and saw an E bay add for a MINT Condition one. It was in ENGLAND! $9000
He wanted my OPINION on what he should do.

I said RUN! NO WAY!

Had his heart set on getting it. SO,,,,,, I had a Forum Member friend who actually lived in England and was willing to drive to the Shipping Company where it was SUPPOSE TO BE and inspect it for me..

When I contacted the seller and asked for the address so my friend in ENGLAND could come and inspect the car prior to purchase, the Seller stated " Its already in a shipping container and on the ship!" BS!

Needless to say,, NO DEAL!

He found a good deal on one in his local area and purchased that one for a lot less and no issues.

I see shady deals in E-Bay and on Craig's list ALL THE TIME. $3000 for a car that should list for 10-12K and it has a SOB STORY with the sale..

Bill
Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The flipper is a sociopath. Or a troll, which may be the same.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:18 PM
mrmagloo
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't believe a post or two herein seems to suggest this kind of behavior is OK. It's one this to make a few dollars by buying something on the low side and getting market value for it. But, purposely preying on people by grossly misleading them is quite another. Hopefully, this arsehat will mess with the wrong guy who will teach him a life-long lesson.

Last edited by mrmagloo; 07-28-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrmagloo
I can't believe a post or two herein seems to suggest this kind of behavior is OK. It's one this to make a few dollars by buying something on the low side and getting market value for it. But, purposely preying on people by grossly misleading them is quite another. Hopefully, this arsehat will mess with the wrong guy who will teach him a life-long lesson.
I wasn't trying to say this behavior is OK, just happens everyday in many different situations. I've personally been on both sides of it. Here is a little story-

I needed to buy a car, so I gathered up some cash, took my 95 cavalier and drove onto a lot in the town. The lot had a clean title Civic I wanted, so I drove it and told the sales dude I had my cavalier as a trade in and 5k in cash or whatever. If they could do tradein+5k out the door, I would buy the Civic.
The sales manager wasn't happy, I took off close to 2k in price with my offer, but he took it.
I get home really happy about my dealings, and the next day I have to put some stuff in the trunk. The trunk doesn't open, its held down by some tiedowns, so I had to climb into the trunk throught the back seat to remove the tiedowns and open the trunk. Replaced the locking mechanism which wasn't working and problem fixed!
Fast forward 3 months or so. I move to Cali, at the DMV to register the car in CA. This asian dude starts talking to me about how my Civic is really good looking for a salvage car. Im like- this dude is
He keeps going, telling me the car is an 01 but has an 04 trunk... and sure enough, we pop the trunk and take the liner off- the whole backside of the car is welded together. No way the car is clean title based on this, but the dealership knew the car was smashed up and told me nothing about this when I was buying it.
No idea how they could make that happen, but later I did read somewhere that a popular scam is to buy "salvage" vehicles in Canada, and transport them into the US. The thing is, Canada has no "salvage" title or anything, so any car you bring into the US from there will have a clean title, regardless of the history. Idk if thats exactly how they did it, but doesn't really matter.

But here is the kicker- The reason I needed a new car is because I ran that cavalier into the ground. I didn't know cars and maintenance like I do now, and I never bothered to change fluids (except motor oil changes). The coolant got so old it started to form precipitates, and those clogged up the radiator to the point where no fluid was moving in and out.
A shop quoted me something ridiculously expensive for how inexpensive the cavalier was, so it was basically totaled.
The car would overheat after a couple of minutes of driving, so I came up with the plan. I drove close to the lot where I was going to buy the car, and let it sit for a while. Then when it was relatively cold, I drove onto the lot and they took the car around the block. This wasn't long enough to overheat, so the dealership thought they were getting a decent trade in.

So who is the bad guy here? Am I the acehole because I unloaded a ****** car on a lot? Or are they aceholes for selling me an obviously salvaged car with a clean title? Or were we both playing the game?

Like I said, it takes 2 to tango. I don't condone what the guy did, but to me they are both equally responsible for what transpired.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM
derz_vette
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ramm21
I wasn't trying to say this behavior is OK, just happens everyday in many different situations. I've personally been on both sides of it. Here is a little story-

I needed to buy a car, so I gathered up some cash, took my 95 cavalier and drove onto a lot in the town. The lot had a clean title Civic I wanted, so I drove it and told the sales dude I had my cavalier as a trade in and 5k in cash or whatever. If they could do tradein+5k out the door, I would buy the Civic.
The sales manager wasn't happy, I took off close to 2k in price with my offer, but he took it.
I get home really happy about my dealings, and the next day I have to put some stuff in the trunk. The trunk doesn't open, its held down by some tiedowns, so I had to climb into the trunk throught the back seat to remove the tiedowns and open the trunk. Replaced the locking mechanism which wasn't working and problem fixed!
Fast forward 3 months or so. I move to Cali, at the DMV to register the car in CA. This asian dude starts talking to me about how my Civic is really good looking for a salvage car. Im like- this dude is
He keeps going, telling me the car is an 01 but has an 04 trunk... and sure enough, we pop the trunk and take the liner off- the whole backside of the car is welded together. No way the car is clean title based on this, but the dealership knew the car was smashed up and told me nothing about this when I was buying it.
No idea how they could make that happen, but later I did read somewhere that a popular scam is to buy "salvage" vehicles in Canada, and transport them into the US. The thing is, Canada has no "salvage" title or anything, so any car you bring into the US from there will have a clean title, regardless of the history. Idk if thats exactly how they did it, but doesn't really matter.

But here is the kicker- The reason I needed a new car is because I ran that cavalier into the ground. I didn't know cars and maintenance like I do now, and I never bothered to change fluids (except motor oil changes). The coolant got so old it started to form precipitates, and those clogged up the radiator to the point where no fluid was moving in and out.
A shop quoted me something ridiculously expensive for how inexpensive the cavalier was, so it was basically totaled.
The car would overheat after a couple of minutes of driving, so I came up with the plan. I drove close to the lot where I was going to buy the car, and let it sit for a while. Then when it was relatively cold, I drove onto the lot and they took the car around the block. This wasn't long enough to overheat, so the dealership thought they were getting a decent trade in.

So who is the bad guy here? Am I the acehole because I unloaded a ****** car on a lot? Or are they aceholes for selling me an obviously salvaged car with a clean title? Or were we both playing the game?

Like I said, it takes 2 to tango. I don't condone what the guy did, but to me they are both equally responsible for what transpired.

Just because I experience misfortune sometimes, I won't then push it onto someone else. I deal with it and learn from it.

My car is one big *** misfortune but I keep throwing money at it like its a hot stripper.

If you don't like getting effed over, don't eff anyone else over... otherwise you are just part of the problem.

Eye for an eye is a terrible principle to live by.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 PM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Ramm21, Hahaha, dude. You both got screwed over. You paid something like 7000$ for a totalled car with half a car welded to it, and the dealership got your pos. I'd say that's a no win for anyone lol. If nothing you probably got the worse end of the deal since your cavalier needed a radiator and a good flush which is like 300$. That's hilarious though, instant karma. Wasn't even like you made out ok from it then got screwed over years down the road, it was the same day! Damn that made me laugh.

Last edited by trilkb; 07-28-2016 at 07:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ramm21 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by derz_vette
If you don't like getting effed over, don't eff anyone else over... otherwise you are just part of the problem.
If I don't eff anyone else for the rest of my life, doesn't mean others won't eff me over.

Its just a different perspective- as it pertains to the situation, I look at it through a realist prism, you look at it through an idealist prism. But there's no right or wrong answer here
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trilkb
Ramm21, Hahaha, dude. You both got screwed over. You paid something like 7000$ for a totalled car with half a car welded to it, and the dealership got your pos. I'd say that's a no win for anyone lol. If nothing you probably got the worse end of the deal since your cavalier needed a radiator and a good flush which is like 300$. That's hilarious though, instant karma. Wasn't even like you made out ok from it then got screwed over years down the road, it was the same day! Damn that made me laugh.
Yeah, I say it was even. The way I rationalized it- it would cost me (college student) money I DIDNT have, but the dealership could replace the radiator and fluids for a lot less than the shop was going to charge me. And obviously, dealerships stick you with anything undesirable for profit any chance they get.
Luckily I didn't have any major problems with that Civic, just a bunch of little things stemming largely from the accident, i think.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Yep. Unfortunately there are way too many deuce bags on this planet.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone recently buy a '98 C5 Vert for $11k? LS1techer admits to screwing people over

Old 07-28-2016, 08:16 PM
popshumphrey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I really have a hard time with this. The world is screwed up enough and for a few bucks we continue to screw each other over. I believe everyone, and I mean you and me, lose in deals like this because we can't trust a soul anymore. Where in the world is "integrity"? American Greed has taken over. People deserve to make a buck and I don't mind you making a buck. But your worse then *&% in my mind if you screw someone over on purpose. Just me.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ramm21
Yeah, I say it was even. The way I rationalized it- it would cost me (college student) money I DIDNT have, but the dealership could replace the radiator and fluids for a lot less than the shop was going to charge me. And obviously, dealerships stick you with anything undesirable for profit any chance they get.
Luckily I didn't have any major problems with that Civic, just a bunch of little things stemming largely from the accident, i think.
I suppose you did get two cars though lol.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by wrkdWS6
Guy got the car and literally cried on the phone told me it was 2 years of saving half of his SS checks to buy the car He turned around and sold it a week later for $5000 less than he paid for it. Yeah, i know im a jackass but hey if it wasn't me some other asshat dealer was going to do it."
[/I]
I don't know if dealers are ripping off the elderly quite like this.

Where's karma when you need it?

Quick Reply: Anyone recently buy a '98 C5 Vert for $11k? LS1techer admits to screwing people over