Sponsored by:

Help with my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
When I get off mine it makes a popping/gurgling sound that some make. I'm told an x pipe will remedy that. Is that what you're hearing?
Yeah mine makes popping and gurgling sound, I like that sound, but there is another sound all I can describe is a rattle, I'm positive that something is wrong with it, when I go down the street and I let off the accelerator, I hear the rattling sound bouncing off the buildings? And when your on the outside of the car it's very prevalent, I have heard from three people and they agree something is wrong with the muffler, first I took my car to get an inspection, and he thought the belt was going bad, but it's the muffler, and he said that I need to get that fixed, and I took my car to a muffler shop and he said he couldn't do anything, just to get with the manufacturer.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 PM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by X2142
My "cat" back exhaust cost me 80$, sounds better than the 1k exhausts out there. No problems either. Sounds like you have bad internals on a muffler, bad resonator (if it has one), or a bad cat which i would get fixed immediately, cats can break apart and possibly get its way back to the engine.
How can the cats break apart?
Old 03-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=Silverwolf_pup;1594407495]How can the cats break apart?[/QUOTE

Heat and time just starts to get to them and they start to fall apart. Its only a honey comb styled material that can be broken with a screw driver lol
Old 03-29-2017, 09:08 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

[QUOTE=X2142;1594408952]
Originally Posted by Silverwolf_pup
How can the cats break apart?[/QUOTE

Heat and time just starts to get to them and they start to fall apart. Its only a honey comb styled material that can be broken with a screw driver lol
Yep. On my 87, I took the cats out and centered them over a steel fence T-post that was already driven into the ground and proceeded to knock the guts out of them in just a few minutes. Re-installed and bang a perceived increase in power.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Volk2142
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

[QUOTE=02BlownZ06;1594409101]
Originally Posted by X2142

Yep. On my 87, I took the cats out and centered them over a steel fence T-post that was already driven into the ground and proceeded to knock the guts out of them in just a few minutes. Re-installed and bang a perceived increase in power.
I clean the cats out on all of my cars, unless I have a race "cat" laying around.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:40 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
That would be a good guess. I agree with contacting the vendor you bought the exhaust from and see if they can help you out. As said, it's not that difficult to install an exhaust and seems strange that they require you to use an authorized dealer to do the work.
The authorized dealer crap is everywhere . I ordered some window shields the little deals that go above the windows keeps rain out wind Etc. for my wife's little Beetle would not fit right keep falling out Weather Teck said not installed by authorized dealer sorry said order another set ,what ?? they just pop in .. NUTS..

Quick Reply: Help with my exhaust