Sponsored by:

How much for a full brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for a full brake job?

Well its time for a brake job on moms vette. Its a 98 auto with 60K on it and factory pads and rotors. Im thinking that the front rotors wont be able to be turned down. The rears MIGHT. I dont need extreme just want best bang for the buck. I was thinking factory rotors with Hawk HPS pads. I have them on my Cobra and like them a lot. I just dont know what im gonna pay. So lets give 2 senarios.

1. All new pads and rotors. Factory rotors, Hawk HPS pads, labor.???????

2. New front Hawk HPS pads/rotors, new rear pads, turn down the rotors.?????

Is there anything thats worth buying in a plain rotor that wont cost an arm and a leg? The car is WAY over due. Also any good combos that are street friendly would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
Old 09-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Sho-nuff
Drifting

www.gmpartsdirect.com

GM Factory Rotors
Right Rear Rotor Part #10445858 $52.70
Left Rear Rotor Part #10445859 $52.70

Right Front Rotor (Part #10445856) $50.75
Left Front Rotor (Part #10445856) $50.75

GM Pads
Brake Pads and Shoes - Rear (Part #12530688) $45.49
Brake Pads and Shoes - Front (Part #12530681) $57.39

Parts Subtotal = $383.34

Markup = ???
Labor = ???

Just so you know, it's surprisingly easy to do it yourself.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Sho-nuff
Drifting

For a woman, I would recommend ceramic pads.

My wife has probably never cleaned the brake dust off her front rims ever. After cleaning them about a thousand times, I finally switched hers to ceramics and they are much better.

Your mom may be different.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Well doing the fronts arent a problem for me. I guess if I did our F-150 I can do the Vette'. My mom is not an aggressive driver. Note the 60K on factory pads. The rears are the only ones that give me problems. If they are anything like the rears on my Cobra ill have a problem. If I can compress them with a C-clamp ill be fine. Any tips?

Paul
Old 09-08-2004, 12:42 AM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I just got my fronts done today for the first and it cost about $350 cdn which is about $270 US the major cost was the ceramic brake pads. I have around 40000 miles on the front
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yellow98Cobra
Well doing the fronts arent a problem for me. I guess if I did our F-150 I can do the Vette'. My mom is not an aggressive driver. Note the 60K on factory pads. The rears are the only ones that give me problems. If they are anything like the rears on my Cobra ill have a problem. If I can compress them with a C-clamp ill be fine. Any tips?

Paul
Raybestos professional grade rotors are very good quality and only $20.00 each.

www.rockauto.com

I'm not a big fan of Hawk pads as they seem to be a little rotor unfriendly. You might want to just replace with OEM or go with Raybestos QS ceramic which you can also get (either type) at Rockauto.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:50 AM
Sho-nuff
Drifting

Paul
Compress them with a c-clamp. On the fronts, just loosen the top caliper bolt and remove the rear to swing the caliper up and away.

With the rear, I think you have to remove both bolts.

Pretty easy really. Leave the brake fluid reservoir cap on and bleed the excess fluid out of the caliper, that way, you're sure to make it messy.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:14 AM
Cybercop
Instructor

I actually just got a pretty good price quote from Gene at Fred Beans(sponsor), although this was for the GMPP slotted/drilled with ceramic pads.

Total for both front/rear was something like $312 shipped. Dont know how the stockers compare for price, but I would think it would be less.

Their main number is 610-495-1800
websites @ http://fbpontlim.fredbeans.com/frame...vice_wildcard8

Mike
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 AM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Was that $312 for pads and rotors? Im a Ford guy What is GMPP??? That would be a great price with me doing the labor. I just dont want to put anything on there that is inferior to the stock parts. Equal or better

Paul
Old 09-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by Conjunctivitis
Compress them with a c-clamp. On the fronts, just loosen the top caliper bolt and remove the rear to swing the caliper up and away.

With the rear, I think you have to remove both bolts.

Pretty easy really. Leave the brake fluid reservoir cap on and bleed the excess fluid out of the caliper, that way, you're sure to make it messy.
What about removing the rotors? Do the new rotors come with studs? Sorry guys...but im clueless. Im a capible set of hands, just need the info.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:26 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was that $312 for pads and rotors? Im a Ford guy What is GMPP??? That would be a great price with me doing the labor. I just dont want to put anything on there that is inferior to the stock parts. Equal or better

Paul
$190.00 delivered:
Around $100.00 for the 4 Raybestos rotors delivered and around $90 delivered for front and rear Delco ceramic pads at www.rockauto.com
Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 AM
random access
Instructor

If you're going to have the dealer do it, consider that they charge over $100 for an oil change. I'd guess they would charge you over 1k to change 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads.
Do the brakes yourself, they are super easy, even if you've never changes brakes before yourself...
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago
Raybestos professional grade rotors are very good quality and only $20.00 each.

www.rockauto.com

I'm not a big fan of Hawk pads as they seem to be a little rotor unfriendly. You might want to just replace with OEM or go with Raybestos QS ceramic which you can also get (either type) at Rockauto.
My last setup was Stopforce front rotors, raybestos rear rotors with HPS pad. It lasted me a little more than 5000 mile, ~500 on race tracks, Hockenheim is very hard on brakes. My pads are almost totally gone and the rotors are cracked. Next time I'm going to use the Raybestos rotors all the way around and save the money. The only advantage to the expensive rotors is appearance, many of them will not hold up to heavy abuse because the drilled holes actually weaken the rotors.

The HPS pads were good, and I would recomend them for agressive street and occasional light track use. They did produce a little more dust than stock pads and are louder, but that's the price you have to pay if you want good performance.

If you want the car to look good, go with ceramic pads, just know that you are giving up some of the stopping power
Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Really depends on the brand of rotors/pads you go with. I went with Baer drilled/slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads and the parts alone were $700. There are other brands out there that are much cheaper. My dealer installed the rotots and pads and charged me $132 for the labor. Pretty decent for that job.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hawk HPS pads are some of the most dust producing of any pads. Hawk HP plus would be better,but will still squeek and produce some dust.

GM OEM pads or the GM ceramic pads for street drivers are great.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:36 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was not for high performance application, I'd just go with ceramic pads. The dust is not black. As for rotors, just get NAPA or Rock Auto rotors, they are only ~$22 a piece. A friend who roadraces regularly uses NAPA rotors and he's satisfied with them. They last as long as the GM OEMs but cost much less. Four NAPA rotors (full price) cost him the same as one GM OEM rotor at his favorite dealer *after discount*.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Well that Rockauto place seems to be what im gonna go with. Are the factory pads metallic or not? I dont need to stop on a dime, just need it to stop as well or better from the factory. Once again, thanks a million guys.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To How much for a full brake job?

Old 09-08-2004, 03:15 PM
mdbennes
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is all great info....I am in the same boat...Just bought a 00 Coupe with 40k miles and the front brakes seem to be just about shot. When I had the inspection done, they said that as well, and I can feel it when I stop the car; it kind of pulsates to a stop? Is that a word?

Should I just do the front with new rotors and pads or do the whole thing? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:58 PM
Yellow98Cobra
Advanced

Well here is my final cost. Pads and rotors too my door $220. All 4 rotors and front and rear pads. Install price of $206. That included flushing all the old brake fluid out and repacing. So $426 all the way around installed is pretty good in my book. Car feels soooo good too. Thanks for all the info guys.

Paul

Note: I went with the Raybestos rotors ($20 each) and factory AC Delco pads
Old 09-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Slash
Drifting

Well its time for a brake job on moms vette. Its a 98 auto with 60K on it and factory pads and rotors. Im thinking that the front rotors wont be able to be turned down. The rears MIGHT.
Unless your discs are scratched or warped you will not need to get them turned. Only need to turn them if they are damaged.

If the pads haven't worn down to the bare metal you're fine.

Quick Reply: How much for a full brake job?