Am I really Nuts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Default Am I really Nuts?

Wife thinks I'm nuts. I've already rigged up a hose in such a manner that I can wash off the underside of my car before I pull it in the garage and I am seriously contemplating cutting a section out of the garage floor and making a pit just for undercar work.
Already took a core sample and it's about 4 inches of concrete over pea gravel. My buddy has a backhoe on a BCat and I have a concrete mixer soooooo!
Figured it might be a good winter project.
Has anyone installed a pit.
Would not be as fancy as Jiffylube etc., but would be well lit and set up with stairs and metal catwalk material and L beams.

Any realtors out there that can tell me if it will change the resale value of my house or should I only sell to a C5 owner in the future?

Regards

Jim

Remember if you are going to party hardy this holiday season and partake to excess that you should have a designated driver as we need all of the forum members back after the New Year.
Happy Holidays.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wanted to have an oil change pit in my garage...let me know how that turns out...as far as setting a hose up to wash the undercarriage as you go in...that's taking it a bit too far. If she's going to be a "garage queen" (i.e. only drive it on nice dasy) like mine...then you only have to clean the under body panels about every two months by lying on your back.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:46 AM
T's
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08

Nuts, not at all, unless we are all a little nuts !
Sounds like a neat project, take lots of pics
Enjoy the season
T
Old 12-14-2004, 09:48 AM
bpc4me
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Benpup]Wife thinks I'm nuts. I've already rigged up a hose in such a manner that I can wash off the underside of my car before I pull it in the garage and I am seriously contemplating cutting a section out of the garage floor and making a pit just for undercar work.
Already took a core sample and it's about 4 inches of concrete over pea gravel. My buddy has a backhoe on a BCat and I have a concrete mixer soooooo!
Has anyone installed a pit.
Would not be as fancy as Jiffylube etc., but would be well lit and set up with stairs and metal catwalk material and L beams.

Any realtors out there that can tell me if it will change the resale value of my house or should I only sell to a C5 owner in the future?

Regards

Jim

Ahhhh love in the air..
Old 12-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran

It's a daily driver and the winters here in Cincy OH are unpredictable so I think washing the underside every few days before it's parked for the night isn't a bad idea.
Will keep you all briefed on progress if I get a wifely nod.

Regards

Jim

Remember if you are going to party hardy this holiday season and partake to excess that you should have a designated driver as we need all of the forum members back after the New Year.
Happy Holidays.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:53 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Wow that sounds like a nice idea. I use 4 ramps to lift mine, but would feel much safer in a pit.

I am not sure if you home value would go up. Pits are very dangerous (gas and stuff gets in them) though. I thought that even NY went as far as trying to out-law them because of the danger (not sure of this though).

I would also guess your concern would be digging the hole and having the land shift causing your garage to shift.

Maybe a quiklift would be less money and less of a hassle if you had enough room in the garage....

Wow like to see the process documented if you do it...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 AM
jeromeunderwood
Instructor

I have a hot water in my garage for washing my vettes. Last weekend I spent about 6 hours washing and waxing inside my shop with 40 degree weather outside. So, when it is snowing outside I can still wash them with hot water in a heated garage. Oh did I mention the TV and recliner so I can sit and admire them. I want to add a center drain to my shop to let the water flow while washing, currently I have to push it outside with a broom. Go ahead, take some picture before and after for us.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Maybe a quiklift would be less money and less of a hassle if you had enough room in the garage....

Pupster - you may also run afoul of local codes. Be sure to check!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Iron Chef

I really didn't think about it, but I'll surely check that out.
I'm getting a bit older (won't go into detail) and rolling about on a creeper just isn't my idea of a good time anymore.
The MD's keep bandaiding me back together but I have more miles on me than my C5 has on it. Lead content alone from Viet Nam is a hassle.
A lift sound great and would probably be easier to install so I'm going to look into that.
After reading about the recliner and the TV, a pit that is well furnished sure sound great.

Again I didn't think about the local codes so I'll keep you all posted.

Regards

Jim

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

A pit sounds great. I would also think this would add value to your house. So many car guys out there that would want a pit if they were going to buy a house.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
istsme98
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

everybody else is nuts we are the normal ones
Old 12-14-2004, 10:37 AM
DC-STRO
Race Director

Location: After reading this thread, I gotta tell ya... you're an ass. .
Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Iron Chef

I know some friends who had pits in their garage. They were forced by the city to comply with the local codes, of fill them in.
One major problem was that there was no emergency exit in the pit.
What if there was a fire,or over come by CO, or You became trapped.

Go with a lift it will be cheaper & better in the long run.
Good Luck
Old 12-14-2004, 10:56 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Am I really nuts?

Yes you are. But then again, many of us are. From a realtor's view, this would be a nice addition if you find a car guy as a buyer. But the truth is that most buyers aren't and for them a hole in their garage floor would be a negative. Consider the family with small kids. Liability galore.
If you never sell the house it may work for you but probably would have to fill it in if you ever sold it to a non car person.
Small lift is probably a better Idea.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:03 AM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by jeromeunderwood
I have a hot water in my garage for washing my vettes. Last weekend I spent about 6 hours washing and waxing inside my shop with 40 degree weather outside. So, when it is snowing outside I can still wash them with hot water in a heated garage. Oh did I mention the TV and recliner so I can sit and admire them. I want to add a center drain to my shop to let the water flow while washing, currently I have to push it outside with a broom. Go ahead, take some picture before and after for us.
I am sooo jealous
I say the under car hose and pit are not nuts, go for it
Old 12-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

I have contemplated this too!! Would make oil/fluid changes much easier!
Plus it would make it easier to wash the underside too (is that **** or what )!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by istsme98
everybody else is nuts we are the normal ones

No we are normal for Corvette owners.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote "no" on a pit in a home garage, just because they can be a hassle to vent and drain. Now, a lift, heck yeah!
Old 12-14-2004, 12:53 PM
JCR_Indy
Racer

Originally Posted by Benpup
Wife thinks I'm nuts. I've already rigged up a hose in such a manner that I can wash off the underside of my car before I pull it in the garage and I am seriously contemplating cutting a section out of the garage floor and making a pit just for undercar work.

Regards

Jim

Would probably be cheaper to get a lift if your ceiling will allow it.. And, you can take it with you when you move...

JCR_Indy
Old 12-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,306 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not nuts at all. Sounds like a great way to clean the underside of the car - at least it would get some of the easily removable dirt off. As far as the pit, I would think that is may hurt the resale a bit, unless the potential buyer is a car nut themself. Plus, you'd have to be careful not to drop a wheel off into the pit by accident.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I really Nuts?

Quick Reply: Am I really Nuts?