C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken
Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:13 PM
yellowvert
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light

I have a 2003 C5 convertible. The only things I've changed are swapping out the exhaust (cat-back only) and an aftermarket sort of cone-shaped air filter. I installed that at about 6K miles and this situation started at about 30K miles. 2 months ago I had the car in the dealer for some routine work and had them check the code. Surprise! It came back that the fuel mixture was rich and they blamed it on the air cleaner, non factory, so they charged me $30 for putting it on the machine and did nothing. Within a day or two, the light went out. It came back on, it went out - days at a time. It came on the other day, I took off the visually clean filter and lightly blew it clean with compressed air and disconnected the positive battery cable for 15 minutes. Drove for 10 miles, stopped, when I restarted, the light was off. A week later, it came back on. This time I disconnected the battery lead, took off the filter again, cleaned and re-oiled (as per K&N instructions and very lightly). Drove for 10 minutes, stopped, and next time the light was off. Then earlier today (1 day later), the light came back on.

I don't know how to check what code it is and if that matters. Should I just put the stock cleaner unit on and if it continues, take it back the the shop while under warranty? Should I pull the MAF and clean it somehow? (please provide directions on how to clean it, if that makes sense).

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really care about the aftermarket air cleaner as the cars a daily driver and I did it as much for looks as anything else.

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 04:57 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn key to on (not start)

Press RESET to clear any messages on the DIC

Hold OPTIONS button in and press FUEL button 4 times

DIC will cycle through codes, write them down and I usually google each code to get to a site that will tell me what they mean. Don't include the C(Current) or H (history) when Googling.

Good Luck
Old 10-26-2006, 08:28 AM
VET IT B
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2000 Vert with 28K on the clock. My engine light came on about 3 weeks ago. If you read your manual book it says that engine light on solid ( not blinking) may have to do with bad fuel or fuel cap not on correctly.

I remembered that I had bought fuel, only 5 gallons, at a station out of town. It was 93 but not my regular Shell station. I ran the fuel out, and when I fueled it up with the good stuff the light went out and hasn't been on since.

Just some food for thought. Good luck. Mark
Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

With the filter make sure everything is snug. You would get a code if there was a leak in the system.

get the codes and then we can help you better.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:26 PM
yellowvert
Pro

I got two codes:

P0171H and P0174H

Both banks running lean.

Should I reset the system and if so, how do I do that?

Should I put the OEM cleaner back on?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2006, 05:28 PM
yellowvert
Pro

As to the fuel, I run just regular old regular gas 80% of the time. Have forever. The only time I run premium is if I'm going planning on driving hard. I just believe that the computer is smart enough not to let it knock like heck and damage anything. Did the same on my 740i without any problems. I did check the gas cap because I've done that before...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:31 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

As they are history codes, reset them, but I assume they will come back. Try to remember what you were doing (hard acceleration, braking, cruising etc) when, and if, if comes back on.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:40 PM
yellowvert
Pro

I don't know how to reset them...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:19 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by yellowvert
I don't know how to reset them...
everything you ever wanted to know about the C5 but were afraid to ask......

http://www.innernet.net/mdcc/c5secrets.html

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1514518
Old 10-27-2006, 08:28 AM
yellowvert
Pro

thanks Mowton. I had this linked once before but lost it. Very good stuff!

For what its worth, I drove the car at cruising speed (in the country 50-70 mph) to and from a HS football game last night and the ligth stayed off. I'll be back when they come back on!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 PM
yellowvert
Pro

Well, it came back on again. The light was off for more than a week. I had driven the car intermittently that day. On my way to airport, after a mix of mostly 50-60 mph driving, once I got in a traffic jam, the check engine light care on. Checked the codes today and still show P0171 and P0174 - running lean (also had code B0516 that has something to do with the speedometer - I assume this is random and/or unrelated).

I've reset the codes but looking for advice of anything I should do other than just replace the aftermarket filter with the stock one. (If so, the trick will be finding the darn OEM stuff - I know I didn't throw it out!)

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Check engine light

Quick Reply: Check engine light