C5 Scan & Tune Corvette Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, Fuel Management, Tuning Software, LS1 Edit, AutoTap, Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

PCM swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default PCM swap issues update

Here is my latest (OF MANY) tunes on my swapped out PCM. I'm having issue with
1. car flaring on start, then settling back around 500 rpm (on 725 command) and shutting of
2. When I place the trans in D or 3, it slips like it is actually in 3rd, but the scanner says it is in 1

See summary below
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
TC5newpcm15.hpt (464.1 KB, 718 views)

Last edited by Blow Torch; 04-21-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Default PCM issue update

UPDATE of issues

I have posted parts of this issue, but here is the completed version. I REALLY need some answers to be able to continue.
I swapped out a 98 PCM for a 01 on my 98 Corvette. I repined per a sheet specific to a corvette, then verified by another one. When I started having issues, I pulled it back apart and verified all of the wires were in the correct location per the pin-out sheet. I downloaded the tune, then purchased credits and "bought" the tune. I selected a 2bar and did a write entire to the car. The OS table still has "applied for" on it. I swapped most of my settings over, and the car would not crank. I did the "attempt crank, ign. on 11 mins, off 30secs" relearn, and the car will crank, although it does not idle well.
The real problem is the trans appears to be in Limp mode. If I put it into D or 3, it barley moves. It works fine in reverse.
When I down load a tune, I get codes 1016,1064, 1096 (I believe), but if I clear them and fire up the car, I only get 102, 103. I have a SD tune.
Do I need to change my VIN (I didn't think the 98 and 01 were compatible) or just what.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Blow Torch; 04-21-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:01 PM
daws222000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
UPDATE of issues

I have posted parts of this issue, but here is the completed version. I REALLY need some answers to be able to continue.
I swapped out a 98 PCM for a 01 on my 98 Corvette. I repined per a sheet specific to a corvette, then verified by another one. When I started having issues, I pulled it back apart and verified all of the wires were in the correct location per the pin-out sheet. I downloaded the tune, then purchased credits and "bought" the tune. I selected a 2bar and did a write entire to the car. The OS table still has "applied for" on it. I swapped most of my settings over, and the car would not crank. I did the "attempt crank, ign. on 11 mins, off 30secs" relearn, and the car will crank, although it does not idle well.
The real problem is the trans appears to be in Limp mode. If I put it into D or 3, it barley moves. It works fine in reverse.
When I down load a tune, I get codes 1016,1064, 1096 (I believe), but if I clear them and fire up the car, I only get 102, 103. I have a SD tune.
Do I need to change my VIN (I didn't think the 98 and 01 were compatible) or just what.
Any ideas?
I did the same pcm swap and im having some issues different ones though, i had to swap vins so i could pass my state inspections. I dont believe you can do that with hpt, thats why i had to use efi live. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Its odd how this seems to be a straight forward swap, with so many people having NO issues, and now you're the third to say they DID have some issues. (one guy said he had to put his 97 back in, which is what Im on the border to do)
I've also heard that any VIN issues seem to be easier to address with EFI
Old 04-23-2015, 06:44 PM
daws222000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
Its odd how this seems to be a straight forward swap, with so many people having NO issues, and now you're the third to say they DID have some issues. (one guy said he had to put his 97 back in, which is what Im on the border to do)
I've also heard that any VIN issues seem to be easier to address with EFI
I was almost there switching back, i ordered a 2001 wire harness and a new cluster to switch over if i cant figure it out, also im gonna hook up to a tech 2. Im pretty sure mine is in the cluster though not the wiring. This has been a huge stopper for me but im gonna figure it out one way or another. My car seems to run fine just issues with my cluster not working oil pressure, trans temp and traction control. When i log them they are showing up on EFI. I had my frame painted so could be bad ground i also switched out my cluster. Mybe i just have high hopes lol. Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:27 PM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I just swapped my 98 PCM today for the 99-up
I am using 2002 OS
It fired right up and took it for test run all good
I used the 2002 pin out
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by veneno
I just swapped my 98 PCM today for the 99-up
I am using 2002 OS
It fired right up and took it for test run all good
I used the 2002 pin out
I'm glad you had good luck, but it just makes mine more confusing.

Mine would not fire up until I did the security relearn
Now that it fires up, it will not idle without giving it throttle
It will barely move forward (apparently in 2nd gear/limp mode)

I have checked and rechecked that the pins are in the correct location, and all looks good, but the car is dead in the water and it looks like I will be spending more $$$ on it to get someone to figure it out
Old 04-27-2015, 11:52 AM
douniasg
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

I did the swap on my brother's (veneno) vette. I will pm you when I get home the diagrams I used and his tune. Maybe you can figure something out with that.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM
veneno
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I will ask my brother goes by douniasg on the forum to post some info
maybe he can help you out. He did a lot of the work
Sounds like it's either a problem with the tune or incorrect placement of the iac and transmission wires. I purchased the pcm and custom tune from LSXtuning on LS1tech and he disabled the VATS so that's why my car started right up. Using 2002 Operating system and 2002 pin out for reference. Yours is a 1998 as well? I had 3 left over wires not being used
Old 04-27-2015, 03:43 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Thanks Guys
It is a 98 A4 and I swapped in a 01 apparently (by its settings) from a manual. I have checked and rechecked the wiring pin-out. The IAT works, as well as the fuel gauge. There were a few wires that I didn't connect, per the instructions someone gave me that had done a Vette and run into fuel gauge issues.
Is your car a A4 or manual? I haven't been asking, but I wonder if the guys having issues are the ones with A4s, and the successful swaps are manuals
Old 04-27-2015, 03:54 PM
douniasg
Pro

I attached the 2 pin outs I used. I didn't follow the function name cause they were different. I went by the the circuit No. and all the wires matched except c1 red pin 24 and c2 blue pin 24 they are both sensor ground jumper I left them out. Also c1 red pin 69 evap purge vacuum switch signal I left out. For 2002 pin out the only pins that didn't get used was c1 blue pin 35 cpp switch signal, c2 red pin 45 evap canister vent solenoid control, c2 red pin 64 fuel tank pressure sensor signal.I installed the new pcm with the custom tune that I didn't do and the car fired right up and drives like it should. I also attached the tune. Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
98 pcm.pdf (187.5 KB, 170 views)
File Type: pdf
2002 pcm.pdf (189.7 KB, 210 views)
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
2002 c5 98.hpt (458.0 KB, 142 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:09 PM
douniasg
Pro

It's a 98 A4
Old 04-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Thanks for your help guys. This has definitely been a strange situation.
I will download these and see what I can find .
Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 PM
78GEN3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the swap on my 97 using GM diagrams. If I remember correctly there were a couple of wires that were listed on the diagrams incorrectly. I made the appropriate changes and didn't have any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To PCM swap issues

Quick Reply: PCM swap issues