C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

" Charging System Fault " Flashes on my DIC. What do I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default " Charging System Fault " Flashes on my DIC. What do I do?

Happened yesterday and today. I start the car in the am and the DIC says "Charging System Fault" and then goes away.

I have a new red top battery and the volt meter says it is fine.... Any ideas what this could be?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Red5
Happened yesterday and today. I start the car in the am and the DIC says "Charging System Fault" and then goes away.

I have a new red top battery and the volt meter says it is fine.... Any ideas what this could be?
Alternator maybe?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Mine was the altenator. My lights would also dim for a quick second at night.

Others have mentioned checking all the connections to your battery to make sure that they are all clean. I assume with the battery replacement you have done that, but it might be the place to start.

BTW - after I changed the altenator all problems went away.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Red5
Safety Car

I'll check all connections. Then I guess I will test the alternator. When an alternator fails does it fail in an obvious way or will it be an intermittened thing that will be hard to find?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The L-terminal circuit from the generator is a discrete circuit (a discrete circuit has no splices and only one source and destination) into the PCM. The PCM applies ignition voltage to the generator L-terminal circuit. A small amount of current flows from this circuit through the generator windings to ground to create a magnetic field which starts the generator process. When the generator is at operating speed and producing voltage, a solid state switch for the L-terminal circuit in the generator opens and the PCM detects that the initial startup current flow has stopped.

The PCM expects to detect low voltage on the L-terminal circuit prior to the generator rotating at operating speed and conversely expects the circuit to be at ignition voltage potential when the generator is operational. When the PCM detects a fault (circuit shorted to ground, or circuit shorted to voltage), the Driver Information Center will display Charging System Fault.

The generator has an input to the PCM called the F Terminal to indicate the percentage of total capacity that the generator is producing. This signal is detected by the PCM as a duty cycle from the generator and displayed on the scan tool as a percentage. The PCM can monitor the generators output under all conditions to determine if it is functioning normally.

When there is low demand from the electrical system on the generator, a low duty cycle percentage will be displayed. As more accessory load is placed on the generator, the duty cycle output detected by the PCM will approach 100 percent. A normally functioning generating system will never reach 100 percent as indicated on the scan tool.

The L and F terminals are the red and grey
Old 02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
The L-terminal circuit from the generator is a discrete circuit (a discrete circuit has no splices and only one source and destination) into the PCM. The PCM applies ignition voltage to the generator L-terminal circuit. A small amount of current flows from this circuit through the generator windings to ground to create a magnetic field which starts the generator process. When the generator is at operating speed and producing voltage, a solid state switch for the L-terminal circuit in the generator opens and the PCM detects that the initial startup current flow has stopped.

The PCM expects to detect low voltage on the L-terminal circuit prior to the generator rotating at operating speed and conversely expects the circuit to be at ignition voltage potential when the generator is operational. When the PCM detects a fault (circuit shorted to ground, or circuit shorted to voltage), the Driver Information Center will display Charging System Fault.

The generator has an input to the PCM called the F Terminal to indicate the percentage of total capacity that the generator is producing. This signal is detected by the PCM as a duty cycle from the generator and displayed on the scan tool as a percentage. The PCM can monitor the generators output under all conditions to determine if it is functioning normally.

When there is low demand from the electrical system on the generator, a low duty cycle percentage will be displayed. As more accessory load is placed on the generator, the duty cycle output detected by the PCM will approach 100 percent. A normally functioning generating system will never reach 100 percent as indicated on the scan tool.

The L and F terminals are the red and grey

Thanks Evil twin.

So I should be looing for a grounded circuit?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks Evil twin.

So I should be looing for a grounded circuit?
a momentary charging system fault can sometimes occur. Clear any codes and and try to note what kind of voltage you are seeing... are you seeing this charging system fault on a regular basis, or it was a one time thing?

Get notified of new replies

To " Charging System Fault " Flashes on my DIC. What do I do?

Quick Reply: " Charging System Fault " Flashes on my DIC. What do I do?