C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds then Engine Shuts Off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 09:42 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds then Engine Shuts Off!

Got the "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" warning.

Did so then car started. After driving about 5 feet car shut down as if I had shut it off with the key.

Then I turned the key off and restarted then it but it did the same thing again - shut off after doing 5 feet.

Anyone ever heard of this? What is the fix?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:47 PM
IFLUBYU
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the "Column lock bypass" sticky at th top of the tech thread listings. All will be clear!
Old 08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
C6Velocity
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Read that, but it doesn't address this situation.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
mbella2000
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mine did the same thing this morning, and last week. What is with these cars? Are they all lemons? Every single vette has the same problems. Wipers not working correctly, ecm codes going off, pull key wait 10 secs, seat tracks worn and rocking, a/c accuator going bad with warm and cool air, passenger side air not adjustible, steering column problems.. Mine had/has them all. You would think GM would know how to fix these common problems in the year 2000 plus! Especially, when its the most expensive american made car there is.
My 86 and 85 never had these problems!

Why does this pull key wait 10 seconds happen? Mine is now doing the same damn thing and stalling. My car is an embarrassment for it having 37,000 miles on it. My girlfriend laughs at it and tells me to go buy 2 bmw's like hers, for the price of my 1 corvettes that is breaking down every other week for the same things that all you guys are having. I cant get 2 normal driving weeks outta my $25,000 used vette. Am I driving a fiat or what? Anyone help us with this problem were now having...again

Thanks for your help in the past guys, my car is now running after replacing my BCM, but now there are more troubles ! Should I put the car outta its misery and sell it? Is 97 a bad year to own? damn this car is worse than a wife in a bad mariage. You wannt get rid of it but you cant!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
PA_BLUE_C6
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'12, '15

I met a couple that has a 97 with 160,000 miles at the chevy meet at
Maple Grove a couple of weeks ago who have not had any problems.
Maybe there is light at end of tunnel. I wish you good luck.
Noe
Old 08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 01MilYellow
Is your wheel locked when this happens? If so, it is the column lock issue. If not, then you have a bad K-Harness (assuming your an A4) which is still really a column lock issue.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

when mine did this it was the resistor pellet on the key...its a common problem on camaros but hasnt been as prevalent in C5's I don't think. Everybody blames everything on the column lock when many times I've seen its just the resistor not connecting properly. The car will start without the resistor but it can not be moved over 1mph...thus the reason you got a few feet.

Clean the pellet lightly with some sand paper and or contact cleaner and try again, I slide my key in and out of the ignition a few times everyday before I start it and very rarely have the problem anymore.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by mbella2000
mine did the same thing this morning, and last week. What is with these cars? Are they all lemons? Every single vette has the same problems. Wipers not working correctly, ecm codes going off, pull key wait 10 secs, seat tracks worn and rocking, a/c accuator going bad with warm and cool air, passenger side air not adjustible, steering column problems.. Mine had/has them all. You would think GM would know how to fix these common problems in the year 2000 plus! Especially, when its the most expensive american made car there is.
My 86 and 85 never had these problems!

Why does this pull key wait 10 seconds happen? Mine is now doing the same damn thing and stalling. My car is an embarrassment for it having 37,000 miles on it. My girlfriend laughs at it and tells me to go buy 2 bmw's like hers, for the price of my 1 corvettes that is breaking down every other week for the same things that all you guys are having. I cant get 2 normal driving weeks outta my $25,000 used vette. Am I driving a fiat or what? Anyone help us with this problem were now having...again

Thanks for your help in the past guys, my car is now running after replacing my BCM, but now there are more troubles ! Should I put the car outta its misery and sell it? Is 97 a bad year to own? damn this car is worse than a wife in a bad mariage. You wannt get rid of it but you cant!!!!!!
Try the number 2 key fob and key. See if that corrects the problem
Old 08-04-2005, 04:45 PM
torchredfrc
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the pellet in the key; if that doesn't work... order a column lock bypass before you get really mad at GM. If you're an automatic, get the dealer to perform the recall (it disables the column lock.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by 01MilYellow
It does address it, assuming you fully understand the posts.. I appreciate that there is a ton of BS surrounding the whole CL issue.

The reason the car is shutting off when you try to move it is that the BCM (which talks to the PCM) is shutting off the fuel supply to prevent you from driving the car w/ the steering wheel locked, because it thinks your column locking pin did not retract, bringing us back to the CLB sticky.

It is also possible the issue is w/ the key as Carson suggests, although I haven't researched it. I assumed that w/o a proper resistance value from the key, it wouldn't start at all, but I haven't looked it up in my manuals to verify.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 08-04-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:55 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

CHECK OUT MY STORY ON STEERING COLUMN FACTS ON TOP OF THE C5 TECH SECTION. GOOD LUCK GETTING REIMBURSED BY THE DEALERSHIP OR GM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:04 PM
mbella2000
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My steering column is not locked. I already had the steering column lock recall done. My key is a number 2 and it is brand new (2 days old) My bcm was just replaced and I got the bcm and the pcm to learn each other after doing the whole routine with the key on for 11 mins then off ect. It starts and runs now, but sometimes I am getting the pull key and wait 10 seconds display, and the car died out on me. Imagine this happening when trading it in or selling it to a potential buyer. Try explaining all this on the forum about what is wrong. The dude will run far away... Anyone wanna buy a 97 vette? lol
Old 08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mbella2000
My steering column is not locked. I already had the steering column lock recall done. My key is a number 2 and it is brand new (2 days old) My bcm was just replaced and I got the bcm and the pcm to learn each other after doing the whole routine with the key on for 11 mins then off ect. It starts and runs now, but sometimes I am getting the pull key and wait 10 seconds display, and the car died out on me. Imagine this happening when trading it in or selling it to a potential buyer. Try explaining all this on the forum about what is wrong. The dude will run far away... Anyone wanna buy a 97 vette? lol
Check codes for a mafunction ignition switch

Get notified of new replies

To Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds then Engine Shuts Off!

Quick Reply: Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds then Engine Shuts Off!