C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Header Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Kryckter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Kooks Header Noise

I recently installed Kooks headers and Off Road X-Pipe on my 99.
Every since the install, I have noticed a faint tick coming from the driver side. You cant hear the noise from the engine compartment, For instance, when the hood is up. You can only hear it when the hood is closed. It sounds like its coming from underneath the vehicle.
I finally jacked up the vehicle to listen to it, It sounds like its coming directly from the header tubes on the Driver header. It sounds like a light ticking coming from the tubes about 12" from the collector.
Anyone have a similiar noise from their headers, or should I be looking into other areas?
I listened closely to the motor and etc. and it doesnt sound like its internal or even coming from the motor. It sounds like its directly the headers tubes. And I have checked numerous times for leaks...All good

Thanks in advance

Joseph
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 AM
Darkhalf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kryckter
I recently installed Kooks headers and Off Road X-Pipe on my 99.
Every since the install, I have noticed a faint tick coming from the driver side. You cant hear the noise from the engine compartment, For instance, when the hood is up. You can only hear it when the hood is closed. It sounds like its coming from underneath the vehicle.
I finally jacked up the vehicle to listen to it, It sounds like its coming directly from the header tubes on the Driver header. It sounds like a light ticking coming from the tubes about 12" from the collector.
Anyone have a similiar noise from their headers, or should I be looking into other areas?
I listened closely to the motor and etc. and it doesnt sound like its internal or even coming from the motor. It sounds like its directly the headers tubes. And I have checked numerous times for leaks...All good

Thanks in advance

Joseph

Do you have your AIR system hooked up?
You may want to check your check valves, they could be toast causing the ticking noise. Very common when adding headers.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Remember. Headers actually amplify valvetrain noise. It MAY just be a noise thats always been ther, you just didnt notice it until you had the headers.

I actuayyl had the same problem. Mine was the #7 cyl leaking. Thats the one that is so hard to see cause its under the brake booster.
It was leaking on the very end of the header.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:15 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
Remember. Headers actually amplify valvetrain noise. It MAY just be a noise thats always been ther, you just didnt notice it until you had the headers.

I actuayyl had the same problem. Mine was the #7 cyl leaking. Thats the one that is so hard to see cause its under the brake booster.
It was leaking on the very end of the header.

I have Kooks and do hear more valve train noise then before...but its equal on both sides...I have high flow cats, so they may actually cut down on some under car sounds....the sounds I hear are under hood only...
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
c-5-steve
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an old guy who messed around with cars along time this sounds like something very common to header installs. I believe you have a header leak. These do make a ticking sound. I would try a different gasket, many people say use the original metal gasket from GM. is best.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are hearing most likly valve train noise this is coomon with addition of headers you can call me at 631 586 9002 ext 308
Old 12-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I had a header leak at the #7 cylinder after pulling the pipes to install a clutch and it's most definately noticable and different than normal header ticking noises. When I'd get into the gas under load you could really hear it.

When I first fired up my car after installing the headers I thought I might have gotten a cam =)
Old 12-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Kryckter
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done some more looking of the car,
The sound is coming from the header tubes, about a foot from the collector. It sounds like a faint ticking coming from the tubes, There are no leaks, It is only hearable at idle, If you hold the RPM's at 1200 or so, the noise is not there, When I put a load on the motor, there is no ticking.
You can not hear it inside, or if the hood is up, Only when the hood is closed and you can hear it coming from underneath the car.
I am lead to believe it is just the noise of the exhaust going through the tubes....

Joseph
Old 12-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR@kooks
You are hearing most likly valve train noise this is coomon with addition of headers you can call me at 631 586 9002 ext 308

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks Header Noise

Quick Reply: Kooks Header Noise