C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter Replacement ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:27 PM
VA 98 VETTE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filter Replacement ?

On a 98, are those two plastic inserts surpose to come out before you insert the disconnect tool?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a while so I'm not sure, but I didn't use a disconnect tool, just plyers to remove those plastic inserts. Once they were out, I was able to remove the filter.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Just replaced mine on my 97 last Saturday. I used one like the silver one in this picture:

I basically clamped the tool around the two tabs, then squeezed the tool, and pulled the filter and line apart at the same time. This was kinda difficult so I turned the tool and on its side trying to get a better grip. As soon as I got it hooked on the tabs and put pressure on the tool, it slipped off and in the process, it must have grabbed both tabs perfectly and the fuel filter slid right off the tube…then the other side became easier as I was able to move the filter into a better position. I removed the front quick connect first since that tube is more rigid than the one at the back.

So to answer your question: Use the disconnect tool to pinch the light blue tabs together while pulling the tube out of the filter. Make sure the tubes are clean and any old seals are removed from the old filter. The new filter should supply you with new light blue clips.

To get it off took 20 minutes. To put it back on took 2. The dealer wanted 100+ to do the job. The filter cost me 15 bucks.

To clarify, I smelled fuel super strong in my garage so I crawled under the vehicle to see a light coating of fuel on the filter. During my exhaust install the previous owner we welded the exhaust flanges and welded right over the bolt. I figured id pull the dremel out but then I remembered the fuel on the exterior of the filter and that the welds I needed to grind on were 5 inches away! Kinda forced me to do the fuel install first, and then the exhaust! My fuel filter was all screwed up. After I removed it, the rubber oring was still connected to the female tube, and when I tipped the filter on its side, two more plastic rings fell out of it…it’s a no-wonder the damn thing was leaking…I checked the new one before I stalled it.

Before you do any of this though, you are supposed to relieve the pressure at the fuel rail. On the left rail, at the very front of it is a screw off cap, with a valve behind it. Simply get some paper towel, and a screw driver. If your system is leaky like mine, there wont be much pressure there. Obviously, you'll want the car off during all of this and disconnecting the battery isnt a bad idea.

After you pull the filter and lines a part, fuel will leak down but it isnt much and i didnt worry about trying to catch it...i just soaked it into a towel...also,dont immediately start the car after you change the filter. turn the key to the on position but dont start it. It should prime the pump, thus forcing fuel into the filter. Service manual says put it into the on position for 2 seconds, remove the key for 10, put it in for 2 and check for leaks. If its good, take it for a drive.

Last edited by Stealthy4; 03-23-2006 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
VA 98 VETTE
Racer

Thanks for the info...guys. However, I'm still a little confused in reference to the lt. blue tabs. Mine has 2 white in color inserts (one in each end of the filter). The new filter came with only one (white insert) for the front end of the filter. I was also told by someone today, that if you damage these plastic inserts, I will need a new fuel line.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by VA 98 VETTE
Thanks for the info...guys. However, I'm still a little confused in reference to the lt. blue tabs. Mine has 2 white in color inserts (one in each end of the filter). The new filter came with only one (white insert) for the front end of the filter. I was also told by someone today, that if you damage these plastic inserts, I will need a new fuel line.
White or light blue...they are the same thing....

My fuel filter had one already attached to the filter in the box. the other was just loose in the box...check and see if this is the case...

If not...take the filter back and get another one with two new clips in it. These clips are replaceable. the old ones are useless and i actually bent mine slightly to get them off the fuel line...

Also, like i said...after removal of the old, the o-ring was still attached to the female tube (shouldnt be) and a plastic ring was still attached to the tube...i just removed them as the new filter has all that inside of it....

when i get home tonight...ill send you the exact stuff out of a service manual for my 97...which should be the same as your 98!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
VA 98 VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by Stealthy4
White or light blue...they are the same thing....

My fuel filter had one already attached to the filter in the box. the other was just loose in the box...check and see if this is the case...

If not...take the filter back and get another one with two new clips in it. These clips are replaceable. the old ones are useless and i actually bent mine slightly to get them off the fuel line...

Also, like i said...after removal of the old, the o-ring was still attached to the female tube (shouldnt be) and a plastic ring was still attached to the tube...i just removed them as the new filter has all that inside of it....

when i get home tonight...ill send you the exact stuff out of a service manual for my 97...which should be the same as your 98!
Thanks...appresiate it!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Filter Replacement ?

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Replacement ?