C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 03:38 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Default Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5

This is probably a stupid question but I am looking into getting a new C5 and have heard that the stock run-flat tires suck for wet/dry traction. I currently own a '98 Cobra with Bridgestone Potenza RE730s on it and they have incredible traction, especially in the wet weather which we get alot around here in different parts of the year. If I get the C5 and want to change the tires when they wear out going to a non-run-flat tire, what will happen to the tire sensors? Will they still tell me when I am losing tire pressure? How have you guys handled the potential problem of a flat with no spare? Can you buy a donut and keep it in the trunk/hatch or would you just invest in some "fix-a-flat" and maybe a jack, lug nut wrench, and air compressor? I just want to know what I am getting myself into if I ever replace the tires with something that might actually hook on the street (Pilot sports come to mind or another set of RE730s). ;) Thanks in advance! :cheers:
Old 08-31-2001, 05:14 PM
RajunCajun2001
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (2ZORNOT2Z)

The run flats aren't the best tire for the C5, but I wouldn't say they suck. Well, maybe they do suck. I hate mine at the drag strip, but I love them as a daily driver. They've saved me from being stranded when a utilty razor blade made a home in my tire. :yesnod:

I wouldn't try to get a donut tire since you'll have to get 2...one 17 and one 18". If the tire is completely flat, you'd have to get a good low profile jack to fit under the car. Fix-a-flat would probably ruin your sensors and your rims. If you don't go with the donut, jack, fix-a-flat, or run flats, will you feel comfortable driving on the rim to get the car on the flat bed tow truck?

[Modified by RajunCajun2001, 3:17 PM 8/31/2001]
Old 08-31-2001, 05:46 PM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (RajunCajun2001)

No, I wouldn't want to drive on the rim to put it on a flat bed tow truck. Good point about needing two donuts, I guess that would be true, huh? How did you get around this problem with your BFGs? What about getting some tire plug material to use in conjunction with the small air compressor instead of the fix a flat goo, I wouldn't want to ruin the sensors or the rim. Do those of you who aren't running run flats worry about being stranded with a flat? Any solutions?
Old 08-31-2001, 06:03 PM
99 Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (RajunCajun2001)

The sensors will work fine with non run flats. But I wouldn't do it. Other people have and most carry a plug kit in their car. About a week ago I got a flat in the middle of a really bad thunder storm. I would hate to have to plug a tire in the middle of that. I will be keeping my run flats I love them. If its not going to see any rain it probably wouldn't be such a pain.

Jerry
Old 08-31-2001, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (2ZORNOT2Z)

I grew to hate my Goodyear RF's after about 20K miles. They were chunking badly and had seemed to have actually hardened up. Interior road noise had gotten very annoying. I switched to Nitto 555's (stock sizes), bought a plug kit and portable compressor for emergencies, and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood! :smash: ).

The Goodyear RF's need to be optimized for the C5, which they are not. There are better RF tires on the market. I chose the Nitto's mainly for the price ($735 complete set delivered to my front door, plus another $125 for mounting and lifetime balancing).
Old 08-31-2001, 06:22 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I understand that a plug kit might void the tires speed rating. A fellow CF member recently posted a notice from GY on this very issue. In it they indicated that an improperely installed plug (without a inside patch) would void the tires speed rating. So I guess my question is why go to the trouble of replacing the tires with supposed better performaning tires if you could void the tires speed rating? Has any one out here actually contacted the tire manufacture to verify this? Before I'd take this route I'd want an answer from the tires manufacture on this and other warranty points.

Also I read all these car mag test that place the C5 at the top in many performance categories, 0-60 1/4 mile, handling, breaking etc are they running the GY EMT's or have they switched them for the test?

Just something to ponder.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 08-31-2001, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (AFVETTE)

OK guys, who here would plug a tire on the side of the road...

and then go out and drive with it @150 mph?

The only reason I'd ever use the tire plug kit I bought was to get me back on the road and to the nearest tire store to get the tire properly repaired.

As far as the road tests with Goodyear RF's. Expert drivers, multiple runs to optimize techniques, immediate manufacturer (car and tires) assistance, ad nauseum.... equals some good performance numbers.

There are better tires than the Goodyears available, both conventional and run-flat.
Old 08-31-2001, 10:22 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (PTParks)

Okay, one more time...

Plugs are temporary fixes only and write-off the tire, pure and simple. Not a single manufacture of which I'm aware accepts the use of plugs with their tires. They don't even condone driving on them, let alone warrant them. Basically, if you plug a tire, it's yours and whatever happens beyond that point is totally your responsibility. Every warrantee I've seen for any modern radial specifically states that plugging is not an acceptable patch procedure. Only removing the tire from the wheel and using the properly applied inside patch is acceptable and there are location limits to this, as well.

Sure, everyone has a story of a plugged tire that's gone a gazillion miles with no problems. It only takes once. Is the mere price of a new tire worth the risk? Carry a compressor with non-runflats and if the damage is too great for this to allow you to limp in for repairs, call for help. Or, stick with one of the several brands of runflats. Some report good results with brands other than Goodyear. Best of luck, whatever you choose to do!
Old 08-31-2001, 10:37 PM
Mike Siska
Melting Slicks

Michelin Pilot sports are supposed to be the Hot Setup for C5 Vettes :yesnod:However, if you go runFlat, Go Firestone Firehawks. You Will Not, I repeat, Will Not be disapointed :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 09-01-2001, 05:17 AM
goldman
Pro

Default Re: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5 (Mike Siska)

I would think that for an emergency & temporary use to get to a tire store,,, That a single "Donut" tire, in between the front & rear sizes would work...

I've considered this...
It would be 1/2 inch too big for the front & 1/2 inch too small for the rear, But I'm sure it would get me home and/or to a tire store!!!

I carry a plug kit & a small compressor... I've plugged one of my pilot sports on the side of the road & made it home, much easier, quicker, & safer than calling AAA... Lucky for me it was just a nail, not a big gash, or in the sidewall...
The "donut" idea sounds good to me!!!

[Modified by goldman, 6:21 AM 9/1/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5

Quick Reply: Newbie question about installing non run flat tires on a '00 C5