C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does exhaust mod void warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
bigsteff
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Does exhaust mod void warranty ?

Does installing cat-back exhaust void GM factory warranty? Do any of the common mods void the factory warranty? GM techs and service managers please advise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Generally speaking any after market mod will void a factory warranty! Unless you pull it off before you take it to the dealer to get repaired. They will try to use the modification against the Vette in question in order to get out of the warranty repair.

Your purchase contract should have the details as well as your warranty contract as to what restrictions you have!

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 AM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Best to ask your service manager........if he's a decent guy he'll ok certain things. Mine has no problem with longtubes, vortex, hi flows, etc.... I have the GMPP and his attitude is what does that have to do with an alternator...........
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 AM
ILM-Express
MFIC
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as it does not affect the part in question for repair, the answer is no.

Some dealers will fight you, my advice take it somewere else.

Originally Posted by bigsteff
Does installing cat-back exhaust void GM factory warranty? Do any of the common mods void the factory warranty? GM techs and service managers please advise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting- what if you have a Corsa catback and x-pipe that was installed by GM and is licensed to be sold by GM?

That's what I have on my 00....when I asked they didn't say it would...but anything that needed repair and was associated to the mod could be voided...I.E. long tubes heated something up etc...this is why I will wait until my GMPP is up before I do ANYTHING to the car...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:24 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I took my 03 in a few weeks ago for the leaking drivers rear diff seal and leaking clutch master cylinder warranty work someone walked by the car, glanced at my tires up close and then went over and told my service writer I had Nitto track tires on the car. She then said "do you track the car and race it". I said non of your business. Nothing else was said and they did the work, BUT several days later my drivers side cat back practically fell off the car from all the bolt nuts falling off or left off. Coincidental??? I THINK NOT!

They also left one helluva brake fluid mess in the footwell changing the clutch master. They didnt even clean up the mess they made and from a month of leaking on my shoe.

Last edited by briann510; 08-10-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Generally speaking any after market mod will void a factory warranty! Unless you pull it off before you take it to the dealer to get repaired. They will try to use the modification against the Vette in question in order to get out of the warranty repair.

Your purchase contract should have the details as well as your warranty contract as to what restrictions you have!

Thanks,Matt

That is not 100% true. The modded part and the failed part have to have some relationship for it not to be covered. Thus if you replace the cat-back and the H-pipe blows up that would not be covered, but if your alternator fails that would be covered.

It does help to have a mod friendly dealer that might overlook some stuff.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by briann510
When I took my 03 in a few weeks ago for the leaking drivers rear diff seal and leaking clutch master cylinder warranty work someone walked by the car, glanced at my tires up close and then went over and told my service writer I had Nitto track tires on the car. She then said "do you track the car and race it". I said non of your business. Nothing else was said and they did the work, BUT several days later my drivers side cat back practically fell off the car from all the bolt nuts falling off or left off. Coincidental??? I THINK NOT!

They also left one helluva brake fluid mess in the footwell changing the clutch master. They didnt even clean up the mess they made and from a month of leaking on my shoe.

your choice of tires has nothing to do with the failing of their parts. I cant believe they even asked you. BTW your response were perfect....

Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
your choice of tires has nothing to do with the failing of their parts. I cant believe they even asked you. BTW your response were perfect....

My car has been in there before (I bought it from my brother in law) with major rear end troubles before (they replaced the whole diff 2 times, and fuel pump once) and they asked him how much he raced it also. I dont think it mattered for the warranty work itself, I think they were just curious.

Last edited by briann510; 08-10-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:23 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your dealer gives you a hard tim quote him this law im sure he will change his tune
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

For more info if you're really interested - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

QUIMBO SEEYAAAH
Old 08-10-2006, 10:35 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quimbo
If your dealer gives you a hard tim quote him this law im sure he will change his tune
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.3128) administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.

For more info if you're really interested - http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm

QUIMBO SEEYAAAH

I am pretty certain my GMPP paperwork states no aftermarket or race parts - claims would\can be voided...I just looked at this earlier as I dropped the car off for a bad HVAC actuator.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by byte_me
I am pretty certain my GMPP paperwork states no aftermarket or race parts - claims would\can be voided...I just looked at this earlier as I dropped the car off for a bad HVAC actuator.
That is not 100% true. The modded part and the failed part have to have some relationship for it not to be covered. Thus if you replace the cat-back and the H-pipe blows up that would not be covered, but if your alternator fails that would be covered. This means if your having trouble with lets say your turn signals and the dealer finds that your hazard swith is the reason or if the turn signal wand is to blame they cant say because your engine is modded they will not cover that repair!! They have to clearly prove that your mod caused the failure.

Quimbo SEEYAAAH
Old 08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quimbo
That is not 100% true. The modded part and the failed part have to have some relationship for it not to be covered. Thus if you replace the cat-back and the H-pipe blows up that would not be covered, but if your alternator fails that would be covered. This means if your having trouble with lets say your turn signals and the dealer finds that your hazard swith is the reason or if the turn signal wand is to blame they cant say because your engine is modded they will not cover that repair!! They have to clearly prove that your mod caused the failure.

Quimbo SEEYAAAH
cool! I was avoiding getting LT headers because I didn't want them to blame them for any future repairs...as it might lead them to believe I track the car or something...

Learn something new every day!

Get notified of new replies

To Does exhaust mod void warranty ?

Quick Reply: Does exhaust mod void warranty ?