C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:13 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Did mine today. My car is a 2000 with the newer board.
Attached Images      
Old 10-16-2014, 01:41 AM
silk69
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine today. Worked like a charm. This site is priceless!!
Old 11-04-2014, 05:00 PM
fuseboxer
2nd Gear

Default C5 LCD or LED desplay problems

Thanks for your support on the repair needs for the poor solder joints on the climate control display on my 2003 Vet. The repair I made was good and the only suggestion I have is for most people to send the unit to the rebuild shop listed on E bay for $65.00. Most people do not have the soldering skill to repair 3mm resistor parts. I had to pin the component resisters down with a pointed probe to make the solder fix. I had 8 resistors and 16 tiny solder points. One of my resistors took off skidding across the circuit board until I changed my technique. THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT.

It is hard for me to believe that GM and its Tier One Suppliers failed to fix and or stand behind the problem and let it go on for years. In 2003 the Quality was the responsibility of the tier one supplier who made the circuit board. The unit was probably assembled in Delphi Kokomo or at a Denso Detroit location. The circuit board suppliers were and are held to high quality standards. QS9000 certification and later other standards were and are used to make sure this type of problem never happens. Delphi no longer has any manufacturing in the USA and probably the same is true with Denso. Today I hope their Delphi/Denso quality control standards are better in circuit board and final component assembly in Mexico. --fuseboxer
Old 11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
GRNNREG
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Thanks to All

I would like to thank all who contributed to this thread. I took care of the Climate Control dim readout at the same time I was dressing up the interior of the car with some goodies from Vette Essentials.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:24 AM
AZ Roadrunner
Heel & Toe

Default Climate Control Lens Available?

Is a replacement front lens for the C5 climate control available? Mine is a bit scratched/foggy from wear and I would like to replace it while I have the unit apart for bulb replacement.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AZ Roadrunner
Is a replacement front lens for the C5 climate control available? Mine is a bit scratched/foggy from wear and I would like to replace it while I have the unit apart for bulb replacement.
NO! Only the complete module. No parts are available for any module. You can however polish the plastic lens back to new if its not scratched deeply.

BC
Old 12-01-2014, 01:07 AM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody ever try this fix and make it worse?

I did this fix and went from half lit to no light at all. I pulled it again and re soldered but no change. Did I blow all the little bulbs?
Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by brplatz
Anybody ever try this fix and make it worse?

I did this fix and went from half lit to no light at all. I pulled it again and re soldered but no change. Did I blow all the little bulbs?
Unlikely that your re-soldering did this (unless it was extremely sloppy or you used too much heat). A more likely scenario is that you missed plugging something back in. Recheck your work and of course, test before you button the whole bezel/console area up. Good luck. If I was nearby, I'd be glad to assist.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:42 AM
brplatz
Instructor

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Unlikely that your re-soldering did this (unless it was extremely sloppy or you used too much heat). A more likely scenario is that you missed plugging something back in. Recheck your work and of course, test before you button the whole bezel/console area up. Good luck. If I was nearby, I'd be glad to assist.
'

I agree I dont think my resoldering did much. This isnt the first time I have soldered surface mount stuff, but who knows.... All the other functions work, but now no backlight. Weird
Old 12-17-2014, 07:14 PM
gitarman47
7th Gear

Default Another Satisfied Customer!!

Just got my 2004 Coupe and the CC was working but no "screen". Decided to invest in the cold solder tool, as you suggested and give this fix a try.

Cracked the unit open...and sure enough, I had the OTHER STYLE BOARD. So THANK YOU for posting pix of that.

I soldered the resistors, just like that guy did. Didn't hold out a lot of hope, because I'm an electronics rookie, pretty much. Plugged it in and SURPRISE...BEAUTIFUL BLUE LIGHTS for CHRISTMAS.

Not sure if the "Passenger" adjustment works. Doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the ****, but I haven't even started the car yet. I'm just happy to have it LIT UP and WORKING! GREAT INSTRUCTIONS!!

Thanks!!

Scott
Old 12-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The passegers adjustment **** will only change the passengers vent temp +- 10% of what the driver side is set to.

Use the DIC and read the DTCs and you will see if there are any HVAC errors/issues.

BC
Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM
gitarman47
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The passegers adjustment **** will only change the passengers vent temp +- 10% of what the driver side is set to.

Use the DIC and read the DTCs and you will see if there are any HVAC errors/issues.

BC
Many thanks for that, Bill! This is my first Vette, and reading the Owner's Manual is...well...you realize that it is not written for an engineer...or even someone with technical prowess. So, I really do appreciate you telling me about the finer points.

Merry Christmas!

Scott
Old 12-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Shiner6
8th Gear

You guys are Einstein's! Have had my new to me 02 coupe for about a month now...and this site is fantastic! Repaired my display per the provided instructions - the wife assisted holding the 241's and despite my poor solder techniques, the display works like new! Bought a cold-heat gun at Radio Shack but could not get the hang of it, so I pulled out the 35 year old heat gun and made a successful mess!

BTW, have used the forum to understand other common issues with my 02 and repair them myself...and that's a lot more fun and cheaper than paying someone else to solve my problems.

Thanks again all!

s/f
Shiner6
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Great thread.. I am a certified Micro Solder Technician by the US Navy and you guys are doing great work, one thing I would do extra is get some acid brushes from lowes or home depot and some rubbing alcohol and clean up the Flux ( oranges residue) left on the board, and componants. Over time that stuff will eat right through the solder and even the circuit board. Just my .02cents, otherwise well done and I will be doing this myself.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by slow-v6
Great thread.. I am a certified Micro Solder Technician by the US Navy and you guys are doing great work, one thing I would do extra is get some acid brushes from lowes or home depot and some rubbing alcohol and clean up the Flux ( oranges residue) left on the board, and componants. Over time that stuff will eat right through the solder and even the circuit board. Just my .02cents, otherwise well done and I will be doing this myself.
THANKS FOR SERVING Brother!

Retired FTCS (SS)

Took my HVAC into work and used the Weller Solder Station and the BIG Magnifing Glass.

Isnt it nice saving a few hundred dollars

Bill
Old 12-20-2014, 08:34 AM
slow-v6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
THANKS FOR SERVING Brother!

Retired FTCS (SS)

Took my HVAC into work and used the Weller Solder Station and the BIG Magnifing Glass.

Isnt it nice saving a few hundred dollars

Bill
Thank you for your service as well senior chief. I only did 9-1/2 years.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:03 PM
TimSmith
3rd Gear

Default New to the forum

Just wanted to thank you guys for the info.
I was introduced to the forum yesterday by a friend with an older Vette. I have a noise in the passenger side rear end, and he told me to check it out. While hunting around I came across this article. My display has been out for a while now, and I decided to tackle it after reading it. I'm not a mechanic or do much with electronics, but thought, what's the worst that can happen. In a total of about 1 1/2 hour, I had the display out, re soldered and back in, working perfectly.
It truly is an easy fix, and would encourage anyone to try it.
Big Thanx
Tim Smith

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix

Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 AM
Stuelke
Navigator

Default Thanks!

Bought my 02 coupe last month and was dreading trying to buy a new unit. This fix actually worked! Went to radio shack and bought a cold soldering iron; it was junk.... ended up using my old weller 40 watt in short, quick bursts. I didn't feel like I accomplished anything, but It actually did the job.

While I had it apart, I decided to change the bad bulbs (radio shack only had 6 in stock) by the time I got it back in the car, all but 1 of the original bulbs were out, so I drove to the next town and bought more bulbs from another radio shack. So, if I were you guys, I would listen to the people when they say change all 14 bulbs at once.

Until the I did this repair, my display was completely black, so I had no clue what was what. Now that I have it working, it seems that my passenger temp **** does nothing at all. is it supposed to display 2 temp settings when you turn that ****? everything else is working properly.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:20 AM
Koiler
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stuelke
Bought my 02 coupe last month and was dreading trying to buy a new unit. This fix actually worked! Went to radio shack and bought a cold soldering iron; it was junk.... ended up using my old weller 40 watt in short, quick bursts. I didn't feel like I accomplished anything, but It actually did the job.

While I had it apart, I decided to change the bad bulbs (radio shack only had 6 in stock) by the time I got it back in the car, all but 1 of the original bulbs were out, so I drove to the next town and bought more bulbs from another radio shack. So, if I were you guys, I would listen to the people when they say change all 14 bulbs at once.

Until the I did this repair, my display was completely black, so I had no clue what was what. Now that I have it working, it seems that my passenger temp **** does nothing at all. is it supposed to display 2 temp settings when you turn that ****? everything else is working properly.

Passenger temp **** does not change anything on the display. It adjusts the passenger temperature relative to what the drivers side is set to. If the driver is set to 72 and passenger adjusts hotter, it's relative to 72.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Stuelke
Navigator

Originally Posted by Koiler
Passenger temp **** does not change anything on the display. It adjusts the passenger temperature relative to what the drivers side is set to. If the driver is set to 72 and passenger adjusts hotter, it's relative to 72.
I guess this calls for a celebration! Next up, the passenger door lock.....

Quick Reply: C5 Climate Control dim/dark display fix