C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside jacking technique for lowered car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Roadside jacking technique for lowered car?

Hey guys my car is lowered with not runflats on it. I bought a 12 volt pump and a plug kit. I need to get a jack. What kind of jack do you guys in my situation carry and or what is involved in getting the car up. And before you say AAA I have it plus towing with State Farm but I just want to be prepared for anything.

Last edited by VLVETTE; 12-29-2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-29-2006, 11:18 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just use a scissor jack commonly found in other cars for changing the spare. they fold down real flat and will slide under a lowered car no problem. I use the one form my S10 pickup.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

You've got a major problem, as we all do..

I have the low-profile Mercedes aluminum jack, as well as an air pump and plug kit, along with tire sealant that will ruin the TPS units.

The issue is with the coil-overs installed, I can barely get the jack under the front lifting point with a fully inflated tire; once it goes flat, no way in hell anything will fit in the stock jacking location. What's worse it's highly likely the panels will actualy be sitting in the dirt if you pull off the pavement.

Other than going back to run-flats, not a lot of good options here. If you are going on an extended road trip, bring along some wood blocks as well.

Watch where you drive, good luck be with you.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-29-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I found an aluminum scissors jack on EBAY...weighs very little and will collapse down to about 3.5"...came from a Mazda RX7, but also came on Porsche.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also put a couple of blocks of wood to drive up on, to give you clearance, in one of your back storage containers.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 PM
fixvet
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VLVETTE
Hey guys my car is lowered with not runflats on it. I bought a 12 volt pump and a plug kit. I need to get a jack. What kind of jack do you guys in my situation carry and or what is involved in getting the car up. And before you say AAA I have it plus towing with State Farm but I just want to be prepared for anything.
Vinny, give me a call and stop by and I'll show you my Mercedes jack I got from C5Frederick. Works great......and low!
Old 12-29-2006, 06:44 PM
DirteeDave
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by brookman
You could also put a couple of blocks of wood to drive up on, to give you clearance, in one of your back storage containers.

That's what I did along with a scissors jack, repair kit and compressor.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

You can easily plug a tire without jacking the car up, or removing the wheel from the car. Just roll the car until the nail or puncture is accessible.

I picked up a screw in one of my rears once, and even though I noticed it at home, I just rolled the car until the nail was facing straight back, removed it, plugged it, and aired it up. Even though I had a jack and full toolbox only a few feet away, it was the quickest and easiest way to go about it.

Instead of worrying about a jack, tools to remove lug nuts, etc, just pack a large blanket to sit on in the event you need to plug a tire roadside, and more importantly. make sure you have the tools needed to remove a screw or nail from the tire, ie: a few different types of pliers..
A plug kit does you little good if you can't get the item that caused the puncture out of the tire.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM
muncie21
Melting Slicks

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I keep a low profile aluminum hydraulic jack that I picked up from Harbor Freight in the center compartment of my couple. It fits even with the CD changer in there.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Red903L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
I found an aluminum scissors jack on EBAY...weighs very little and will collapse down to about 3.5"...came from a Mazda RX7, but also came on Porsche.

I agree completely!! Got Mazda jacks for both cars.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
You can easily plug a tire without jacking the car up, or removing the wheel from the car. Just roll the car until the nail or puncture is accessible.

I picked up a screw in one of my rears once, and even though I noticed it at home, I just rolled the car until the nail was facing straight back, removed it, plugged it, and aired it up. Even though I had a jack and full toolbox only a few feet away, it was the quickest and easiest way to go about it.

Instead of worrying about a jack, tools to remove lug nuts, etc, just pack a large blanket to sit on in the event you need to plug a tire roadside, and more importantly. make sure you have the tools needed to remove a screw or nail from the tire, ie: a few different types of pliers..
A plug kit does you little good if you can't get the item that caused the puncture out of the tire.

This is the most reasonable way to go in my mind

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Roadside jacking technique for lowered car?

Quick Reply: Roadside jacking technique for lowered car?