C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 automatic to manual conversion-who can do this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default c5 automatic to manual conversion-who can do this for me?

Now that I have two other vehicles, the vette is pretty much a toy, and I don't require it be automatic any more. I am entertaining the idea of converting the transmission to manual, for HPDE's.

Does anyone know of a group/persons capable and willing to do this work (1999 c5), that are close enough to the Huntsville Alabama area, where I can drive the car to the shop, and maybe rent a car to drive back home?

What am I likely to pay for these services? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:09 PM
JD's C5
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There really is only one place to go to have this done. I had Rodney and group at RPM transmissions now located in Daleville, Indiana do mine last year. It takes some serious know how to do this right-lots of people can do it.
Rodney put in a Z06 rpm build micropolished trans, new heavy duty clutch, Z06 differential, parts torque tube, pedals, reflash pcm etc. with trade of my automatic and parts was a total $2,500. It was well worth the drive. RPM does the best work and stands by their work. Any member of the forum that has done business with them will echo this information.
I liked my car before-a 2000 vert-but I like it a lot more now
Old 01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JD's C5
There really is only one place to go to have this done. I had Rodney and group at RPM transmissions now located in Daleville, Indiana do mine last year. It takes some serious know how to do this right-lots of people can do it.
Rodney put in a Z06 rpm build micropolished trans, new heavy duty clutch, Z06 differential, parts torque tube, pedals, reflash pcm etc. with trade of my automatic and parts was a total $2,500. It was well worth the drive. RPM does the best work and stands by their work. Any member of the forum that has done business with them will echo this information.
I liked my car before-a 2000 vert-but I like it a lot more now
the price sounds great, and I'd been referred to them (him) before, but when I called him last year, he told me that they (or he) were too busy for that kind of work. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Wouldn't it be easier to just trade cars?
Bill
The following users liked this post:
bigthaw (01-19-2021)
Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
JD's C5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
the price sounds great, and I'd been referred to them (him) before, but when I called him last year, he told me that they (or he) were too busy for that kind of work. Thanks.
Rodney moved into a bigger shop a few months ago. I was down there in December and he said since they have the room now they are going to start doing these conversions. Last April when I had it done it was difficult because they were cramped for space. Now he has multiple lifts etc. If I was you I would give him a call. Bill Dearborn's advice on just getting a different car has a lot of merit. For me I had done some other things to my car and didn't want to sell or trade. On top of that in Michigan you pay another 6% on the cost of the sale of the car and you don't get to deduct any trade so it was more than worth it to me to have this done. Good luck.
Jim
Old 01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Wouldn't it be easier to just trade cars?
Bill
Maybe if you didn't already have a vararam, stainless brake lines, long tube headers, custom fitted/welded removable roll bar/mounts, and a full z06 suspension on that said car....

I spent countless hours/days/weeks fabricating a special roll bar that would accomodate my large frame (6'8") comfortably. I wouldn't wish the job of removing/re-installing the gas tanks on anybody.

Last edited by 2000BSME; 01-22-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sounds like a decent price from RPM - well worth checking it out.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:04 PM
torchvette10
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Sounds like a decent price from RPM - well worth checking it out.
Yep! And RPM rocks! his trannies are unbelievable
Old 01-22-2007, 05:25 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
(6'8")
Well I see why you bought a convertible.

I like the picture in your profile where you can see your helmet above the windshield.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2000C-5
Well I see why you bought a convertible.

I like the picture in your profile where you can see your helmet above the windshield.
no you can't!!! [in denial]
Old 10-31-2014, 09:59 AM
auto04
3rd Gear

Hey I hate to revive something that's so old but the info is worth-while; I just emailed RPM the other day and here was their response:

we still do driveline conversions on the C5. To swap your car to a manual transmission with our entry level 4 transmission and stage 2 differential you are looking at about $8500.00 for parts and labor. To swap to a manual everything from the engine back to the rear differential needs to be changed. Flywheel, clutch, belhousing, torquetube, transmission, rear differential, wiring harness to the rear of the car, clutch and brake pedals, shifter assemblies and some wiring inside the car along with a reflash of the computer

So the either the price has some up substantially or we're talking apples and oranges
Old 11-02-2014, 11:46 AM
GoatKart
Instructor

Originally Posted by auto04
Hey I hate to revive something that's so old but the info is worth-while; I just emailed RPM the other day and here was their response:

we still do driveline conversions on the C5. To swap your car to a manual transmission with our entry level 4 transmission and stage 2 differential you are looking at about $8500.00 for parts and labor. To swap to a manual everything from the engine back to the rear differential needs to be changed. Flywheel, clutch, belhousing, torquetube, transmission, rear differential, wiring harness to the rear of the car, clutch and brake pedals, shifter assemblies and some wiring inside the car along with a reflash of the computer

So the either the price has some up substantially or we're talking apples and oranges

apples to oranges...

your talking over $4000 dollars in parts alone just in the lvl 4 trans and stage 2 differential. Plus the cost of a new clutch and flywheel (1000+ easily), plus cost of stock parts like torque tube etc, plus labor and tuning, and no credit for take off parts. Which he may or may not want to deal with anymore...

So yeah, that sounds like the ballpark for built units plus labor and tuning.

That said, RPM is still THE place to deal with.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 PM
Heriberto Rodriguez
1st Gear

Default Auto to manual trans on my c5

Those anyone's know some one in The San Antonio Tx, that do this job.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 automatic to manual conversion-who can do this for me?

Quick Reply: c5 automatic to manual conversion-who can do this for me?