C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fixed My Gas Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Fixed My Gas Gauge

The other day the gas gauge went to zero and stayed there. I got on the forum and found out about dumping a bottle or two of Techron in the tank and I did that. (2 bottles) No change. Today, still no change, so I used the forum's instructions on how to enter the DIC and clear all the codes. As soon as I was finished with that the gas gauge came back on as good as new. Did the Techron just happen to kick in or did clearing the codes bring the gauge back. I don't care as long as its fixed, I just wanted to know.
The following users liked this post:
RonneeB (03-25-2021)
Old 03-07-2007, 04:46 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s good to know, I been using Tectron for 15 years or more in all of my vehicles as preventative maintenance. I try to use it at least twice a year regardless of the miles between.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:06 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

When this happens to the fuel gauge, does it effect the reading on the HUD as well?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Jeeves_C5
2nd Gear

Default Gas Gauge

Hey, i'm new to forum. Bought my first Vette 6 months ago.
I had this same problem last week, while traveling to Ill. to pick up a 95' corvette for my buddy. I beleive now it had to do with bad gas. We stopped and filled up at some local station on the road about 60 miles later the gauge was gone, and the check light was showing in the HUD. I ran the codes from the DIC and reset them. It continued to fault on off until I filled up again. Its been over a week and is still working fine. I will be more carefull where I get gas from now on.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I hate to rain on your Parade but for most the Techron is not a permanent repair, just an ongoing one. The combination of Techron on a regular basis and Tier 1 gas kinda keeps it under control.
There have been members who have had the senders changed, it works for a while but seems to return. I believe the problem is poor engineering design of the senders and reaction to high Sulfur content in fuel.
As for clearing codes, Codes will clear if you follow the steps, but if the underlying problem is not Cured the codes will return. Of course there are codes that are just an anomaly. Clear them and they are gone for good.
Barrier
JWM (03-25-2021)
Old 03-07-2007, 06:45 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put my faith in Techron fixing the problem. I say that because I have had the fuel gauge problem and have cleared the DIC while driving and only result was that the "check gauges" light went out and the gauge needle staid on E.
But after adding 1 bottle of Techron to a 1/2 tank and letting the car set for a couple of days (to dilute and soak the sending unit on the driver's side) then add another bottle, then top off the tank. This has seemed to be the procedure to fix the problem. As mentioned be careful of the brand of gasoline used because of the high sulfur content in some gas cause the sending units to corrode causing the fuel gauge malfunction. My $.02
Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
redvette777
Pro

Default The Hud

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
When this happens to the fuel gauge, does it effect the reading on the HUD as well?
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT BUT MY GAS ON THE HUD WAS SHOWING
3/4 FULL AND MY GAS GAUGE SHOWED FULL. I HAD JUST FILLED MY CAR UP SO I KNEW THE NEEDLE WAS GOOD BUT THE HUD SHOWED 1/4 LOW. SO I REPROGRAMED MY HUD TO JUST SHOW SPEEDO AND RPM.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Some DTC when set will not allow the module that is malfunctioning to function correctly. Yes! You may need to clear the DTC for the gage to function again. I use to just clear it to see where the level was and then it would error out again! Three or four treatments of Techron and one of sea foam cured mine.

BC
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Last C5
The other day the gas gauge went to zero and stayed there. I got on the forum and found out about dumping a bottle or two of Techron in the tank and I did that. (2 bottles) No change. Today, still no change, so I used the forum's instructions on how to enter the DIC and clear all the codes. As soon as I was finished with that the gas gauge came back on as good as new. Did the Techron just happen to kick in or did clearing the codes bring the gauge back. I don't care as long as its fixed, I just wanted to know.
no, you are correct. clearing the DIC will resume the gauge reading but the fuel sending units are still prone to dirt buildup that causes guage problems
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Vassili
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearing the codes won't bring the gas guage back up. I've used the Techron and it works well, but I would still have the problem. I then used a bottle of Seafoam and I havn't had a problem for over a month.
Rustydawg (06-24-2021)
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 PM
4DRUSH
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's bad gas
I put $10.00 worth of no name gas in a very empty tank, just to get me to a name brand station. The gauge stayed on empty till I filled up with good gas. Gauge went to full and never had any problems since.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
ABWANA
Cruising

Default low fuel light gas guage empty

I followed the advice to put techron, 20 oz. in my tank and filled up with shell 93 octane. When I drove out of the filling station the gas guage worked. I now keep two bottles of techron with me.
This ws the best ande cheapest advice I have received from participants in the forum.
Larry
Old 03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
berryj
Drifting

Yep, I've been alternating Techron w/ Seafoam in my gas tank which seems to be working well. I do one or the other each oil change.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 PM
C5GARY
Racer

Default It'll get better

Guys,
They all have this problem and the best thing to do is.. NOTHING
GM has never found a good fix. In my '99 all you have to do is turn it off and turn it back on again. Rest the computer. The problem comes from the two sensors slightly hanging up, they must move in the correct sequence and in the right time frame or the computer flags it and shuts down the gauge because it thinks you MAY have a real problem.
You can pour in Techron until the engine starts running bad, you can buy the most expensive gas you can find but it isn't going to fix it.
I will tell you what WILL fix it and that is just time and miles. As the hinge points on the sensors wear they won't hang up anymore! At now >100K, I can't remember the last time mine had the problem, and I am still using the absolute cheapest gas and running the same sensors that were put in in April 1999 at the factory. JUST GO DRIVIN!
Gary
Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5GARY
Guys,
They all have this problem and the best thing to do is.. NOTHING
GM has never found a good fix. In my '99 all you have to do is turn it off and turn it back on again. Rest the computer. The problem comes from the two sensors slightly hanging up, they must move in the correct sequence and in the right time frame or the computer flags it and shuts down the gauge because it thinks you MAY have a real problem.
You can pour in Techron until the engine starts running bad, you can buy the most expensive gas you can find but it isn't going to fix it.
I will tell you what WILL fix it and that is just time and miles. As the hinge points on the sensors wear they won't hang up anymore! At now >100K, I can't remember the last time mine had the problem, and I am still using the absolute cheapest gas and running the same sensors that were put in in April 1999 at the factory. JUST GO DRIVIN!
Gary
but such a nuisance
Old 03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

All the above sounds like the way to go: Techron and Top Tier gas. Also try not to let the vette sit too long with close to an empty tank. If I drive the vette and find that I'm close to 1/2 or less when I get home and I know I won't be driving it again for a few days, I make sure that I fill up before parking it.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:30 PM
atsugidad
Instructor

Default Gas Guage Service Bulletins (and Others)

Take a look at thisweb site for some Service Bulletins on Gas Guage problems and other issues.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/....php?qstId=483

Here is one on 99-2002 Models. There is another listed for 97 - 2000.

I've been having the problem for awhile now too. Haven't checked with dealer about reprogram. Has anyone ever had this done? What Results??

1999 - 2002: Service Bulletin: Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
Subject: Erratic Fuel Gauge Reading (Reprogram the PCM)
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Technical Service Bulletin
Number: 02-06-04-010A - (06/27/2003)
Models: 1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the Correction and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-010 (Section 06- Engine).

Condition:

Some owners may comment about the fuel gauge intermittently indicating an empty reading and then return to the correct fuel level indication.

Cause:

This condition may result when fuel blends containing aggressive sulphur compounds react with the fuel sender assembly, which may result in voltage spikes being induced on the fuel level signal to the PCM. Use of another fuel blend may reverse this reaction and return the system to normal operation.

Correction:

Reprogram the PCM with the new service calibration which is available in the June 2003, Techline® TIS release sent to the dealers on 6/28/03. Use the TIS Version 7 or later data update.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To Fixed My Gas Gauge

Old 03-09-2007, 06:40 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vassili
Clearing the codes won't bring the gas guage back up. I've used the Techron and it works well, but I would still have the problem. I then used a bottle of Seafoam and I havn't had a problem for over a month.
I have been battleing a fuel gae for 6 months. I bought a sending unit from Beans and while I was waiting for parts I took a long trip a ran two tanks of good fuel and seafoam. Now the gage works fine. Good luck with yours
Old 05-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sorry to dig this up... but on the way to CI-8 my gas guage has gone nuts.

I use techron w/ every oil change... and in the past I've had it randomly go to empty and throw the code, but whenever I fill up it always works again.

Well this time it's different... the gauge went to E at an accelerated rate... so I stop to get gas at what I think is 1/8th of a tank... car only holds 9 gallons.

I fill it until it overflows... then the car only reads 5/8ths on the gauge. I drive for about 30 min then it goes to E and "check guages" comes on.... then over the next few hours of driving the guage is all over.

So... I get some techron in there and top off w/ Chevron gas... then it fixes itself and is fine until the ride home today and it goes nuts again... so I got more Techron and topped off again.

No change yet... I hope the 20 gal treatment sitting in there tonight will help some.

I have my car tuned.. can they do the PCM update w/o affecting the engine tune for my Cam etc?

And for the guy that says drive it more.... I have 75,xxx on the car now.. drive the **** out of it... and am just now getting truly screwy things

Anyone know what's involved in replacing the sending unit if it comes to that?

I'm going to keep using seafoam and techron to see what happens.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
docbrew
Instructor

Quick Reply: Fixed My Gas Gauge