C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:24 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

Is the pump motor that is stalled internal to the BPMV or is it motor that is externally mounted to the BPMV on the driver side of the BPMV? If it is the external piece, is there some way to get it open?

David in AZ
Old 05-16-2007, 07:12 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

It's internal, the part your looking at on the left side of the engine compartment is actually 2 parts that are bolted together, one is the EBCM and the other is the BPMV.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
pdgourno
Racer

But attached to the BPMV, on a 2000 MN6, is what appears to be a small motor.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/simons...cd.jpg&.src=ph

If I did this right, the link takes you to a picture. Inside the yellow box is the EBCM, inside the purple box is the BPMV and inside the green is a small motor or pump attached to the BPMV. Is it the motor/pump inside the green that is stalled?

Thanks

David in AZ
Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same code on my '02 Z06. I had already replaced the EBCM due to different codes but no luck so I went to the dealer ...something I NEVER do and they "exercised" the pump with a Tech 2 ...sure enough no problems for the last 500 miles. My thanks to Cauley Chevrolet in Bloomfield Hills, MI. NO CHARGE. My faith restored. I had expected to replace the BPMV at a cost of $1300.00.
Good Luck
Old 05-17-2007, 07:46 AM
pdgourno
Racer

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

David
Old 05-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

You need to check the grounds and other connections to the BPMV.

When the pump motor relay is grounded by the EBTCM, it closes and provides battery voltage to operate the pump.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTC C1243 can be set when the pump motor relay has been commanded off after the pump motor has been on. A malfunction has occurred if the pump motor was on, and the EBTCM sensed a stuck or slowly turning pump motor.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
ABS/TCS/Active Handling (if equipped with RPO JL4) are disabled.
• Indicators that turn on:
o ABS indicator
o Car Icon (TCS indicator)

• Messages displayed on the DIC:
o Service ABS
o Service Traction System
o Service Active HNDLG (if equipped with Active Handling RPO JL4)

Conditions for Clearing the DTC
• Condition for DTC is no longer present and scan tool clear DTC function is used.
• Fifty ignition cycles have passed with no DTCs detected.
Diagnostic Aids
• It is very important that a thorough inspection of the wiring and connectors be performed. Failure to carefully and fully inspect wiring and connectors may result in misdiagnosis, causing part replacement with reappearance of the malfunction.
• An intermittent malfunction can be caused by poor connections, broken insulation, or a wire that is broken inside the insulation.
• If an intermittent malfunction exists refer to Testing for Electrical Intermittents in Wiring Systems.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to step numbers on the diagnostic table.
3. Checks for good pump motor ground.
5. Checks for good pump motor ground through the BPMV.

DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled
Step
Action Value(s) Yes No
2 Is DTC 1217 also set as a current DTC? -- Go to DTC C1217 Pump Motor Relay Contact Circuit Open Go to Step 3

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2. Using the J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the pump motor ground stud and a good chassis ground.
Is the resistance within the range specified in the value(s) column? 0-2 ohms Go to Step 4 Go to Step 9

1. Disconnect the EBTCM connector.
2. Remove the EBTCM from the BPMV.
3. Inspect the EBTCM to BPMV connector for conditions which could cause intermittents, such as damage, corrosion, poor terminal contact, or presence of brake fluid.
Is connector OK and cavity free of brake fluid? -- Go to Step 5 Go to Step 6

1. Install the J 41247 Pinout Box to the BPMV connector.
2. Using the J 39200 DMM, measure the resistance between the J 41247 terminal 8 and the pump motor ground stud.
Is the resistance within the range specified in the Value(s) column? 0.2-10 ohms Go to Step 7 Go to Step 8

1. If connector corrosion or damage is evident, replace BPMV and/or EBTCM as necessary.
2. If brake fluid is present, replace BPMV and EBTCM.
Is the replacement complete? -- Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS --

7 Replace the EBTCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement .

8 Replace the BPMV. Refer to Brake Pressure Modulator Valve (BPMV) Replacement .

9 Repair open or high resistance in CKT 1250. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.
Is the repair complete? -- Go to Diagnostic System Check - ABS --

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-17-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

YES,,,,thats the pump motor. There are connections that connect the motor to the EBTCM and a GROUND!! The ground lug on the motor connects to chassis ground G-101 on the drivers side frame right next to where the hood support connects to the body. See my ground sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Check the grounds, check the EBTCM connection 12 VDC supply for the motor and i would also remove, inspect and clean the main EBTCM connection.

There are ways that you can exercise your own pump motor. Once you check all the connections and it that doesn't clear the problem up,, disconnect the wire that feeds the motor and apply 12 VDC to it! If it wont run then, its time to replace the BPMV. $$$$$$
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 PM
pdgourno
Racer

Default BPMV Testing

Thanks for the input. I am out of the country for a few weeks but will continue checking and testing when I return. My batting average is pretty low at the moment but the education has been good.

David of AZ in Shanghai
Old 05-18-2007, 10:09 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
YES,,,,thats the pump motor. There are connections that connect the motor to the EBTCM and a GROUND!! The ground lug on the motor connects to chassis ground G-101 on the drivers side frame right next to where the hood support connects to the body. See my ground sticky:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=896875

Check the grounds, check the EBTCM connection 12 VDC supply for the motor and i would also remove, inspect and clean the main EBTCM connection.

There are ways that you can exercise your own pump motor. Once you check all the connections and it that doesn't clear the problem up,, disconnect the wire that feeds the motor and apply 12 VDC to it! If it wont run then, its time to replace the BPMV. $$$$$$
Zackly what I was thing too Bill. That direct hook up "smoke test" should tell the story.

Get notified of new replies

To DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

Quick Reply: DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled