C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
ddcarter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by bcarp
I looked at that but the tables were not the same. When it is full it shows empty then when it gets a gallon or two out of the tank it will show 3/4 then when it gets to about 1/3 tank it shows empty again. I haven't taken it much lower but once and I think it showed 1/4 and it was almost empty.
Is that similar to what you saw?
The values in my 411 computer were slightly different. I think this is because the tanks volumes are different. I ran out of gas because it still said that I had some.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:48 PM
MADDOX45
Heel & Toe

Default 1998 pcm to 99-2003 pcm

Originally Posted by chuck cow
hey guys.... Good job on the conversion.... Everything i read was pretty much on target....

However, i wanted to step in with some information that will save some of you major heartache when attempting this mod.

I can try to spare you the grief i suffered on a similar conversion into a camaro.

One of the things i found wrong was a statement that all computers are the same. 97-98 are same and 04 corvette is by itself and is sometimes found in trucks up to 06 from what i have seen.

Corvettes from 99-03 are also the same, but are not necessarily the same as a camaro cause the camaro pcm has a chip in it that controls the idle air control solenoid on the "non electronic throttle" of the camaro. When you look at the vette pcm and where it is installed, there is always a "throttle actuator control" or little box that piggybacks the pcm in the fenderwell.

I've installed "corvette" pcm's in camaro's and the pcm flashed normally and started and ran, but the throttle controls would not work....quite frustrating to say the least. I'm not 100% sure if the same problem can happen in reverse with the vette, but.....check your part numbers.

Do yourself a favor when buying an "ebay" computer for your project, call the dealer first and get a list of the "correct" part numbers available for the pcm in the vette with "etc"....then work off of that....

I got some lumps on my head from that one.
Chuck cow
mechanic convinced me i needed it
my 1998 pcm handled 20 psi, now i am down to 10 psi
i get several dtc's that are annoying
otherwise it works
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
bcarp
Pro

Default dcarter

Thanks for sending the fuel settings, I tried it but I still have a problem and I am getting a P1433 code. I am guessing the sending unit has a problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also still sets 1433 on a fill up. However, the 97 settings made my gauge work down to empty (rather than going nuts under 1/3 a tank).

I might try a seg swap into an EFI COS and see if that clears the problem, or might just replace both tank pumps and senders and see if that works with the existing tune (I think this is necessary unfortunately).
Old 12-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi recently my 98 vette A4 pcm got a P0601 code which pretty much means its dead. Cranks but no start.

It seems like a pretty common failure on the 98 pcm. If i repin my harness based on your instructions and plug in my 2001 tahoe computer without the custom vette program can i at least get the car to start?

If not can you please give me some guidance as to who i can ship a 99-02 computer for a custom program that would eliminate the fuel pressure sensor codes and allow my fuel gauge, speedo and tranny to operate correctly on my 98 vette.

Thanks,
Rafael
786 252 5271
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Did the PCM just DTC out or was it caused by a failed programming attempt?
DTC outline:

DTC P0601-P0607, P1600, P1621, P1627, P1680, P1681, P1683, or P2610
Description
This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the control module. This diagnostic also addresses if the control module is not programmed. The following DTCs are diagnosed in this DTC table:

DTC P0601
DTC P0602
DTC P0604
DTC P0606
DTC P1683
Diagnostic Aids
For complete details on programming the PCM, refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .

Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

A DTC P0602 indicates the PCM that is not programmed.

DTC P0601-P0607, P1600, P1621, P1627, or P1683 Step
Action
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Is DTC P0602 set?
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 5

Program the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .

Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 6

Ensure that all tool connections are secure.
Ensure the programming equipment is operating correctly.
Ensure the correct software/calibration package is used.
Attempt to program the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .
Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 6
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Does the DTC run and pass?
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 2

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Bill thanks for the help. It was not a failed program attempt. I got that code along with three other codes just during normal vehicle operation.

I don't have the other codes right now with me. I did your diagnostic procedure and it suggests i replace my PCM.

When I replace my PCM don't I need to have the password of the BCM matched to the PCM with a Tech2 to allow the vehicle to start. Yesterday i spoke with Mike which is forum member "lucky131969" and apparently according to the dealer manual this password match between the two modules must take place before a successful start up with a new pcm.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Did the PCM just DTC out or was it caused by a failed programming attempt?
DTC outline:

DTC P0601-P0607, P1600, P1621, P1627, P1680, P1681, P1683, or P2610
Description
This diagnostic applies to internal microprocessor integrity conditions within the control module. This diagnostic also addresses if the control module is not programmed. The following DTCs are diagnosed in this DTC table:

DTC P0601
DTC P0602
DTC P0604
DTC P0606
DTC P1683
Diagnostic Aids
For complete details on programming the PCM, refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .

Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

A DTC P0602 indicates the PCM that is not programmed.

DTC P0601-P0607, P1600, P1621, P1627, or P1683 Step
Action
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Is DTC P0602 set?
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 5

Program the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .

Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 6

Ensure that all tool connections are secure.
Ensure the programming equipment is operating correctly.
Ensure the correct software/calibration package is used.
Attempt to program the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Programming .
Does DTC P0602 reset?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6

Replace the PCM. Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 6
--

Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
Start the engine.
Does the DTC run and pass?
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 2

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List
System OK

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Rconce01
Pro

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread, I tried shooting you a PM and your inbox was full. I am looking into repining my harness on my 98 A4 to use the 99-02 pcm. I have several issues.

1. Who can custom flash the computer to remove the fuel pressure codes, and ensure correct operation of my fuel gauge?

2. Does the new PCM need to be matched to my car's BCM? They have said something about a Tech2 tool needed for this match to allow the car to start.

Give me a call if you can 786 252 5271.

Originally Posted by euro@EFIAlchemy.com
We have researched the viability of doing something like this. The main problem that proves very cost ineffective is the male connectors, it seems the company who made them no longer produces them, so the only way to get them is to take them off of PCM's.

The best way to provide this service through the mail as i said is to just send the entire engine harness, its so easy for us to sit down at the table in the Air conditioning and do the swap comfortably

DIYnoob, thanks for all the kind words, doing this to my Vette was a very big leap for us, scary for certain to do the R&D and make it work, but we got it done and im thouroughly convinced this was the best mod i have done to my car by far
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rconce01
1. Who can custom flash the computer to remove the fuel pressure codes, and ensure correct operation of my fuel gauge?
Any tuner with HPT or EFI.

2. Does the new PCM need to be matched to my car's BCM? They have said something about a Tech2 tool needed for this match to allow the car to start.
You don't need a Tech2.

What happens that the Vehicle Antitheft system (VATS) requires the PCM know a password that the BCM holds. When you swap to a new PCM, the new PCM has to learn password from the BCM. Your tuner can speed up this process, or you can follow the 30 minute version (search for VATS relearn on CF or in your service manual)

If you are keeping the A4, the process is exactly as described above.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Hello!

!
how about trade the car in for a 2000 model instead?

Last edited by Ikester; 12-16-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Rconce01
Pro

So basically the car need to be towed to a location with programming capabilities. I can't just have someone program my computer by itself and have it shipped to me and plug it in?

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker
Any tuner with HPT or EFI.

You don't need a Tech2.

What happens that the Vehicle Antitheft system (VATS) requires the PCM know a password that the BCM holds. When you swap to a new PCM, the new PCM has to learn password from the BCM. Your tuner can speed up this process, or you can follow the 30 minute version (search for VATS relearn on CF or in your service manual)

If you are keeping the A4, the process is exactly as described above.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Rconce01
Pro

I got a better idea " dump it in a lake"

Originally Posted by Ikester
how about trade the car in for a 2000 model instead?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Try this first:

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake ID's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM. Good luck and report back on your progress.
Shirl
SD Racing Enterprises
Aguila, AZ
Coutersy of MrEracer

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM but all of your RPO options will not be retained. You will need a TECH II to program them into the new BCM.

Bill Curlee
Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Rconce01
Pro

Thanks Bill, but i am replacing the PCM not the BCM. Do i still need the Tech2 to program RPO codes into the new PCM if i am leaving in the old BCM?

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Try this first:

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake ID's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM. Good luck and report back on your progress.
Shirl
SD Racing Enterprises
Aguila, AZ
Coutersy of MrEracer

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM but all of your RPO options will not be retained. You will need a TECH II to program them into the new BCM.

Bill Curlee
Old 12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Thanks Bill, but i am replacing the PCM not the BCM. Do i still need the Tech2 to program RPO codes into the new PCM if i am leaving in the old BCM?
You do not need the Tech2. Just follow the rest of what Bill posted and you will be fine.

You can also mail your PCM to a tuner and they can write the tune (with the gas tank fix). You just have to ask them specially about the gas tank bit.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Rconce01
Pro

Hi are the fuel tables values for my fuel gauge on my 98 different from a 99-02 flash?

I wanted to order a 99-02 computer flashed from the manufactor and install it on my vette with a flash from a 99-02 vette with similar options to mine.

If i just buy a blank computer what tuner would you recommend, i'm in south florida but i am new to this "tuning thing"

You do not need the Tech2. Just follow the rest of what Bill posted and you will be fine.

You can also mail your PCM to a tuner and they can write the tune (with the gas tank fix). You just have to ask them specially about the gas tank bit.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

Yep -- the fuel system values are different. Note that you can drive it around fine without fixing them, but just have to keep track of your miles and mileage (or fill up waaaay early).

I've been gone from FL for about 3 years now, but was near Orlando anyway, so most of the tuners I know are in CFL or NFL. You can try calling EFIAcademy directly (they are just in Jacksonville IIRC, or Jeremy Formato (near Sarasota I think). Then again, I'm sure Chuck COW can hook you up and ship it all too you as well (and can probably provide the PCM with one of his suped up tunes).

Get notified of new replies

To HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette

Old 12-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Rconce01
Pro

Yep -- the fuel system values are different. Note that you can drive it around fine without fixing them, but just have to keep track of your miles and mileage (or fill up waaaay early).

I've been gone from FL for about 3 years now, but was near Orlando anyway, so most of the tuners I know are in CFL or NFL. You can try calling EFIAcademy directly (they are just in Jacksonville IIRC, or Jeremy Formato (near Sarasota I think). Then again, I'm sure Chuck COW can hook you up and ship it all too you as well (and can probably provide the PCM with one of his suped up tunes).
NICE!

PM'ed chuck cow He's got a holiday special!

Last edited by Rconce01; 12-17-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:09 AM
TurboBerserker
Burning Brakes

NICE!

PM'ed chuck cow He's got a holiday special!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default EFI LIVE won't have a problem with it......

Originally Posted by kromberg
You simply can not flash a 98 VIN into a 99+ PCM. The two PCMs have complete different table structure and layouts. LS1Edit and HPTuners will not work correctly as they will read the VIN and try to writes tables for a 98 into a 99+ PCM. That is a good way to ruin a PCM.

Keith
EFI LIVE won't have a problem with it...... The one thing you have to watch out for is that the FUEL SEGMENT of the controller is the same part # or you'll get some really goofy fuel guage info goin' on. The car will run fine, but watch out. C5's have lots of software changes made because of erratic fuel guage operation and if you're not careful, you can get burned....Another reason to use EFI LIVE is that you can modify the FUEL segment of the controller to fix your problems.

I've done this mod before.....Frankly, I can't justify the labor to make the change over...

While the 98 pcm has some limitations (like you can't use a roadrunner on these cars) There's not much benefit to warrant the effort in my book...

I've done this a few times and it's quite involved trying to get the colors and ground reference circuits right.... Circuits are called different names for the same things in different years... Quite nutty.

Looks like you did a nice job on this one...I've give you credit, it's a bitch!

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 12-17-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette