C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Redline Void Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 09:09 PM
DAP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Redline Void Warranty?

Does Redline Void the factory Warranty?

Has everyone had good experiences with it?
Old 11-02-2001, 09:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (DAP)

Can't say for sure, but it might. The reason I say this is because of the lack of the GM Spec being shown on their container(s). I was out of warranty when I first used it so it was not a problem for me. As far as my experience? So far so good. I really like it, especially their D4ATF. My MN6 shifts much smoother now. :D
Old 11-03-2001, 12:13 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

I don't know but there web site says the D4ATF is/has/equal to Dexron III as per what the warranty requires.. So, Its going in on saturday! :D

here is what I copied from there web site. If I have problems I will tell the dealer to check their web site.

>>>
D4 ATF - synthetic Dexron III and Mercon fluid meeting the requirements of most transmission manufacturers, while satisfying GL-4 gear oil requirements. Superior stability allows high-temperature operation without varnishing valves and clutches. Also provides tremendously improved shifting in cold weather. The best low-temperature shiftability for manual transmissions and transaxles which require ATFs.
<<<

Robert
Old 11-03-2001, 12:33 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (Bluewasp)

So long as fluids meet the specifications in the manual no problem.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:36 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (wallstAL)

My trans/diff gasket is wet but not leaking. I've had it looked at by the dealer. Surprise they said it didn't need to be replaced.

I was waiting to put my Redline synthetic in until they replaced the gasket. Now I'm in limbo.
Old 11-03-2001, 02:02 PM
jetskifast
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (Gary2KC5)

Gary2KC5
Redline D4 ATF is Dexron 111 approved which GM requires for trans fluid. You will have no warranty problems. I have been using D4 ATF in my 6 speed for the last 20,000 miles with great results:)
Old 11-03-2001, 07:07 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Just a clarification. In your original post you were not specifying which category of Red Line product you were talking about. My comment regarding possible warranty denial was specifically referring to Red Line's motor oil. Unless there has been a recent change that I may not be aware of, their oil does not indicate that it meets the particular GM Spec called for. I have no doubt that Red Line's oil is very good or else I would not be using it, however if MY car were still under warranty, I would stick with Mobil 1 motor oil, and go with Red Lines D4 which DOES meet Dexron III requirements.:)

Old 11-03-2001, 07:20 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (Tx99FRC)

...and I think you'd be right...factory fluids 'till the warranty runs out or the other manufacturers make their claims on the bottles! :cheers:
Old 11-04-2001, 10:05 AM
DAP
Pro

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (silversport)

Sorry, I was speaking of the Trans and Diff Oils :crazy:
Old 11-04-2001, 10:49 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (jetskifast)

I put in Redline D4ATF in mine yesturday.... I notice a big difference. I could shift gears so much smoother. Less sound as well.

Robert
Old 11-04-2001, 01:19 PM
ScreaminDemon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The law allows you to use any brand you choose provided it just meets wieght and vescocity specs required for your vehicle.It would be against the law for GM to require a specific brand, (they would make alot of money in that stock!!). Mobil One is there suggestion, just make sure it's certified, and of course, fully synthetic. It would probably be hard to find a difference between two fully synthetic fluids with the same numbers. Mobil One and Red Line are both excellent. Mobil One is just more convenient. :cheers:
Old 11-04-2001, 01:25 PM
Lashtal
Le Mans Master

I really do not think so. I switched to Red Line fluids at 500 miles and have not regretted it since. :D

:cheers:
Old 11-04-2001, 02:45 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Are the Redline Fluids SAE certified?

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 11-04-2001, 04:45 PM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (ScreaminDemon)

It is against the law for them to do that. GM just makes the recommendation of which brand to use. However, since they make the car and warrantee it, they get to decide what levels of refinement, viscosity and the like that have to be met. I didn't see the seal of approval on Redline Motor Oil (perhaps an old bottle) so until my warranty is up...factory recommended fluids for me...tougher to deny a claim if the same stuff the factory uses is used.
Old 11-04-2001, 05:54 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (vetterdstr)

They are not API certified. You can go to the API web site and find out which companies are. I have used their oil and also their D4. I have the D4 in three of my present cars and it was in my 90 Vette which I just sold. Also was using their 75-90 diff fluid in the Vette. Only problem I had was when I switched my Suburban to Redline it started leaking. I think it cleaned the front pinion seal and it just started to leak.
Old 11-04-2001, 07:51 PM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red Line has excellent products, and they certify the quality and viscosity of the oil in their containers NOT the SAE (Soceity of Automotive Engineers) or the API (American Petroleum Institute). The SAE sets viscosity standards and nomenclature, and the API sets QUALITY standards like "Service SJ/CF" and DEXRON-III. GM also set quality specs like GM4718M for their engine oils.

Technically, if your not using a specified oil in your car it would void the warranty, but realistically, how in the blazes would GM prove it wasn't a specified oil. It would likely take thousands of $$ of testing. Hope this is of some assistance. :) :)
Old 11-04-2001, 08:10 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (jetskifast)

jetskifast,
I've had the D4 ATF on the shelf for a couple of months. I've been watching this "wet gasket situation and waiting to see if the dealer would replace it. Then I could have them put the Red line it for me.

On the other hand, if I replace it and then the gasket starts to leak then the dealer will dump my new ATF out and If I don't get it replaced in time I'm stuck with the GM fluid.

So I'm evaluating what this gasket is going to do.

Thanks for you info on the warranty issue though...I wasn't sure if it was cool with the warranty issue, although Jim 47 has a point...how would they tell?

[Modified by Gary2KC5, 6:12 PM 11/4/2001]
Old 11-04-2001, 08:18 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (Jim 47)

Technically, if your not using a specified oil in your car it would void the warranty, but realistically, how in the blazes would GM prove it wasn't a specified oil. It would likely take thousands of $$ of testing. Hope this is of some assistance. :) :)
As far as engine oil goes, because I do my own oil changes the dealer wanted to see my receipts for oil filters to verify the frequencies of changes. I gave them the receipts for oil too.
Old 11-04-2001, 08:50 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Default Re: Does Redline Void Warranty? (Jim 47)

Well said Jim 47. Also, Mobil 1 is not the only oil that meets GM's 4718M spec. :) :)
Red Line has excellent products, and they certify the quality and viscosity of the oil in their containers NOT the SAE (Soceity of Automotive Engineers) or the API (American Petroleum Institute). The SAE sets viscosity standards and nomenclature, and the API sets QUALITY standards like "Service SJ/CF" and DEXRON-III. GM also set quality specs like GM4718M for their engine oils.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Redline Void Warranty?

Quick Reply: Does Redline Void Warranty?