C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right front marker light out

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Warnberg

Default Right front marker light out

After my trip this weekend I lost (bulb burnt out) the right front marker light (the lights that are always on). I found the lens to be cracked and there is a little water in it.

I've looked at several other vets (C5's) and it seems to be an issue (cracked lens) on several. Is there a fix for this? What does a new marker light lens cost? How hard is it going to be the change out the bulb? Anyone else notice the cracking lens?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
IrishEd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Warnberg
After my trip this weekend I lost (bulb burnt out) the right front marker light (the lights that are always on). I found the lens to be cracked and there is a little water in it.

I've looked at several other vets (C5's) and it seems to be an issue (cracked lens) on several. Is there a fix for this? What does a new marker light lens cost? How hard is it going to be the change out the bulb? Anyone else notice the cracking lens?

Thanks

I have a 2004 and have cracks in the corner of the both lenses. Almost seems like a stress crack.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Warnberg

Well I have been looking at this car and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to get to the bulbs for the front marker lights....

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:20 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If you have cracks in the lens its pointless just replacing the bulb as it'll blow straight away when the water gets in.

You need to pull the lamp housing and try to seal the cracks or replace the whole assembly. Best way to get at it is to pull the bottom panel underneath the nose of the car and go in from below. Once you have the panel off you can see how the unit is held in place. The fixing screws are inside.

Quite a few members have used silicon sealant to fix the holes. If they're on top that'll work. If they're on the outside it would look bad. Depends how bad the cracks are. You can get replacements from the Forum vendors or there are some clear units on E Bay.

Last edited by DeeGee; 09-04-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:01 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

There are two different problems.
Some people have cracks in the top of the housing, likely due to overheating from the bulb. And some people have stress cracks, likely due to installation of the housing.

First, the correct method to access the bulbs and remove the whole housing is to remove the lower access panel between the spoiler extension and the front of the wheel well on each side. Note that the housing is only held in by screws along the bottom edge and is spring loaded against the bumper cover at the top.

I had stress cracks in the rear corner of the lenses on my 04 Z06 which I think were the result of installing the housing too tightly up against the bumper cover. I got new housings under warranty, and installed them myself, making sure that when I tightened the housing bolts the rear corner was not forced into the bumper cover at the rear corner. The cracks have not come back. The mounting holes for the housing are not really made to be adjustable, but there is enough slack in the holes to allow some inward adjustment. I adjusted mine so that I could still slide a piece of paper between the housing and the bumper without it dragging.

The other problem with cracks letting in water from the top has been repaired several ways, as outlined in previous posts. One involved removing the damaged plastic and replacing it with a sealed metal plate.

Oh, and I think the housings are about $60 each if you have to buy them.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 09-04-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Warnberg

Thank you... I'll pull it up on the ramps tomorrow and see what I can do.

Get notified of new replies

To Right front marker light out

Quick Reply: Right front marker light out