C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers do they really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:36 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Headers do they really make a difference?

I was wondering why on the LS1 do headers make a big difference? or if they really do? I have a corsa catback with Z06 open air lid/K&N filter and a custom made ram air setup similar to the vararam. I was thinking of doing another mod then getting a good tune. Lots of guys mentioned headers, I was going to do this on my 90 and the first step was I bought a bigger front Y pipe and eliminated the pre-cats. I thought just like headers with the more air flowing through it, that I would pick up some horses. Instead it felt like I lost some. I lost a lot of torque with that and the noise level was unbearable. I ended up going back to stock.

So back to my question.
What should my next mod be that will give me a nice horsepower gain?

Like I said: I did the airbox and did the catback exhaust.
What should be a good next mod?

Jeff

Last edited by XtremeVette; 10-07-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 AM
RrCoX22
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LT's up the scavenging effect for each exhaust port therefore gaining in more hp and tq... your y-pipe on your 90 is usless as it only hurt your exhaust since you are sufficating it by using stock headers... it needs to breath which is all in the headers
Old 10-07-2007, 07:19 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Lots of people have headers and love them, with a tune they deliver modest power gains.

With L98 C4's the worst thing you could do is change back pressure, they were not high revving engines by any stretch of the imagination and relied on back pressure to maintain their torque curve. By 4500-5000 in stock form their power was gone.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

LT headers, High Flow Cats, ( or no cats) great X-pipe flow and low resistant exhaust, along with CAI and tune, your car will pick up quite a few ponies, run much smoother and quicker. The downside ( or may be not) it will BE LOUDER.

Free flowing exhaust produces more hp and noise.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
LT headers, High Flow Cats, ( or no cats) great X-pipe flow and low resistant exhaust, along with CAI and tune, your car will pick up quite a few ponies, run much smoother and quicker. The downside ( or may be not) it will BE LOUDER.

The LS1 loves to breathe. With the above noted mods, I went from 302 to 327rwhp on my 2k A4 Vert. You do have to like the sound of power.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Max Grip
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking about LG headers as well. My coupe is stock, and I want a better sounding exhaust, but I don't want to loose low end TQ which frequently happens when going with a freer exhaust.

So I'm thinking about headers with my stock exhaust, or maybe headers and a Z06 Ti exhaust. I figure it will sound better (no too loud, just better) and I'll pick up some grunt. What do you think?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:32 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

LTs dont loose low end tq too much, the wrong cam and tune will.

LG LTs will have lots of low down tq. Keeping the stock exhuast will defeat the purpose of putting on LTs.

The T1 exhaust is OK, but still not unleash your cars potential and still restrict the LG or any other LTs.

Do a full exhaust with High flow cats - x-pipe and Borla mufflers.

The challenge many ppl find is they want the HP of the LTs, but not the sound. Or then they complain about the throttle lag.

IMO dont put on LTs, without doing a FULL free flowing exhaust.

Now a compromise would be stock headers and cats. Then free flowing x-pipe and Borla, Corsa or GHL ( there are others too) mufflers system.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Blorton
Pro

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above poster about having to tolerate a loud muffler setup to see gains with a full longtubes/x pipe setup.

On my car, I initially had the GHL's on with the stock manifolds and x-pipe. (The GHL's are basically a straight-through glass-pack design.) When I installed the full kooks system with high flow cats, I picked up a real nice boost at all rpms. It sounded great, but for my own tastes, there was just a little more cabin noise than I care for. I swapped in the Z06 Ti cans and found those to work very well. It's a lot closer to stock muffler volume levels at low rpms, but still flows very well and makes great noises when you get on it. A bonus is that they are very light.

Hope that helps! IMO, long tube headers should be the first mod any vette gets. The improvement in low end torque really helps in daily driving and any other flow mods you do will just be that much better.

Dan
Old 10-07-2007, 02:36 PM
JesseB
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

get some headers man!
Old 10-07-2007, 03:16 PM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Its PEWTER
I am thinking about LG headers as well. My coupe is stock, and I want a better sounding exhaust, but I don't want to loose low end TQ which frequently happens when going with a freer exhaust.

So I'm thinking about headers with my stock exhaust, or maybe headers and a Z06 Ti exhaust. I figure it will sound better (no too loud, just better) and I'll pick up some grunt. What do you think?
I'm running what you want to install and they sound great..no inside drone...nice idle and at WOT a nice bark to them. Nice RWHP gain, SOTP feel also.
Go for it..
Old 10-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Javier@DIDRACE.COM
Instructor

we use LG's LT's on most cars.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Blorton
I'm going to respectfully disagree with the above poster about having to tolerate a loud muffler setup to see gains with a full longtubes/x pipe setup.

Yup, full LT exhaust with stock Z06 Ti's is the best exhaust on the planet. There are members here putting down 500-600 hp with ti's. No drone and excellent exhaust note.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Lots of people have headers and love them, with a tune they deliver modest power gains.

With L98 C4's the worst thing you could do is change back pressure, they were not high revving engines by any stretch of the imagination and relied on back pressure to maintain their torque curve. By 4500-5000 in stock form their power was gone.
??? I put long tube headers and borla's on my L98 C4 and it made one hell of a differance.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:33 AM
LF97C5Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, full LT exhaust with stock Z06 Ti's is the best exhaust on the planet. There are members here putting down 500-600 hp with ti's. No drone and excellent exhaust note.
A 500-600 HP car would almost definately see a gain from a more free flowing exhaust system... Ti's may not be much of a restriction, especially in Lower HP engines - but even a slight restriction is still a restriction...

I bet a 600HP car would pickup HP w/ straight pipes, vs Ti's...

As for the OP...

If you're not planning on going Forced induction - and you don't want a ridiculously loud car. (Not that LTs + Ti's are very loud...) You can always go for a set of 4.10s in the rear. The SOTP difference was much greater after the 4.10 install than the Long Tubes, Hi Flow Cats, and X-pipe.... And the Price is fairly similar...

-Dan
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Huh? LTs are a great mod on a L98 and NO engine relies on back-pressure. Heck, replacing the stock cat-back on a L98 is usually worth 10rwhp. The TPI intake is the source of restriction for the powerband. I will agree that running a L98 over 5000RPM was a waste of time.

Here's a pic of my ol' 1990 'vert with a mild 383:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Now this I will agree with. The Z06 Ti cans are light, flow well and sound great with or without LTs.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 PM
GreyGT-C
Racer

on my Maggie 112 equipped vette, i saw a 7 rwhp gain by opening the electric exhaust cutouts right in front of the TI exhaust. To me , the TI exhaust is pretty quite, and when i *need* the power... an open exhaust is only a flip of a switch away.

Get notified of new replies

To Headers do they really make a difference?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have them, no regrets, do it
Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 PM
edcmat-l1
Melting Slicks

We routinely see 40+ RWHP gains with LTs, free flowing exhaust and a tune. Thats a chunk, for not opening up the engine. Def power you can feel.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Mpwr
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So worth it!

Quick Reply: Headers do they really make a difference?