C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine shuts off when put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:21 AM
Fred Linden
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine shuts off when put in gear

Have owned car for 2 weeks. 02 A4 vert with 43000K miles. Very clean with no issues until last week. Started getting ABS, Traction control, active handling from DIC. Have current code 1214 which will not go away. Have checked threads here and have checked and cleaned ground connections behind headlights. Also was getting low battery message which was as low as 9.8 volts when engine off. Thought maybe this might have bearing on EBCM unit so took car to Kragan Auto to have battery tested. Guy checked battery in car when engine off, it read~12V; checked while cranking, OK: checked under load with AC, lights on, reving engine, etc and battery checked out OK. He says check contacts to be sure no corrosion. I bring car home, remove cables from battery--they are very clean but I go over bolts and metal parts with wire brush and reconnect. I check codes again and still have ABS, etc but now have service column lock warning and "pull key-wait 10 sec". I turn off, pull key and check again and start engine. When I put car in gear to pull into garage engine shuts off. I try this several times in both drive and reverse, same thing. Engine shuts off. I go to manual under service column lock & it says this is issue for Manual tranny, mine is auto. Reading down further re "pull key-wait 10 sec" (also for manual tranny) it says if you attempt to operate vehicle without removing key, your fuel system will shut-off when you reach 1.5 MPH. Take it to dealer! Am I missing something here. Apparently disconnecting battery caused this to happen. Anybody have a suggestion on how to put this right? Thank you for some help
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

These cars a very sensitive to low batteries, I would recommend either charging the battery overnight or just replacing it altogether.

I had a friend who left his 01 Z06 at my house for 4 months with a bad transmission and by the time he rounded up the cash for parts and we put his car back together his battery was dead, we jump started the car and the battery voltage showed normal and the alternator was charging but he had several faults includeing the 1214 code, this all went away when he charged the battery.

As far the the column lock, I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong but I think the cars with automatic transmissions had coumn lock up through the 02 model years, in other words it was deleted on domestic cars in 2003, all of the imports, auto and manual still had column lock installed.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:22 AM
cenzo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by runamuk
These cars a very sensitive to low batteries, I would recommend either charging the battery overnight or just replacing it altogether.

As far the the column lock, I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong but I think the cars with automatic transmissions had coumn lock up through the 02 model years, in other words it was deleted on domestic cars in 2003, all of the imports, auto and manual still had column lock installed.
Not so, my 2004 MN6 has column lock.
Recalls remove the locking plate from A4s but the fuel system shut-off remains under certain conditions. I believe GM's latest CL recall removes the locking plate from 6 speeds also, but only AFTER you experience a "problem."
Lots of experts on this subject here.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
bobc997615
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Column lock issues when I first bought my used '99. After charging the battery, the column lock issue disappeared.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

The column lock "should" not be an issue with 2001 and up A4's
Old 11-29-2007, 01:11 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mystery cut off

Originally Posted by Fred Linden
Have owned car for 2 weeks. 02 A4 vert with 43000K miles. Very clean with no issues until last week. Started getting ABS, Traction control, active handling from DIC. Have current code 1214 which will not go away. Have checked threads here and have checked and cleaned ground connections behind headlights. Also was getting low battery message which was as low as 9.8 volts when engine off. Thought maybe this might have bearing on EBCM unit so took car to Kragan Auto to have battery tested. Guy checked battery in car when engine off, it read~12V; checked while cranking, OK: checked under load with AC, lights on, reving engine, etc and battery checked out OK. He says check contacts to be sure no corrosion. I bring car home, remove cables from battery--they are very clean but I go over bolts and metal parts with wire brush and reconnect. I check codes again and still have ABS, etc but now have service column lock warning and "pull key-wait 10 sec". I turn off, pull key and check again and start engine. When I put car in gear to pull into garage engine shuts off. I try this several times in both drive and reverse, same thing. Engine shuts off. I go to manual under service column lock & it says this is issue for Manual tranny, mine is auto. Reading down further re "pull key-wait 10 sec" (also for manual tranny) it says if you attempt to operate vehicle without removing key, your fuel system will shut-off when you reach 1.5 MPH. Take it to dealer! Am I missing something here. Apparently disconnecting battery caused this to happen. Anybody have a suggestion on how to put this right? Thank you for some help

I have similiar problem but mine is resolved by my second set of keys. If one set failed with a cut off I use the other set and there is no cut off. I do not know the problem but at this time the solution is to carry my second set of keys. Tried cleaning the chips in the keys but it continues so I carry my spare set of keys.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:09 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by cenzo
Not so, my 2004 MN6 has column lock.
Recalls remove the locking plate from A4s but the fuel system shut-off remains under certain conditions. I believe GM's latest CL recall removes the locking plate from 6 speeds also, but only AFTER you experience a "problem."
Lots of experts on this subject here.
The key word there being MN6, if you reread my post I was talking about cars with an automatic transmission
Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by 87SAM
The column lock "should" not be an issue with 2001 and up A4's
Ok, thanks

So it looks like the column lock was eliminated in 01 for C5's with an automatic transmission and were for domestic delivery. Imports still had column lock with all either transmission.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Depends whether or not the recall was performed on the car. First thing you should do is disconnect and reconnect the battery again. I haven't had the column lock removed on my 03Z and this last summer I had a major battery problem. To get the car started I had to jump start the battery but as soon as I put it into gear the car would stall. The tow truck operator started the car with his carry along starter battery and he was to put the car into gear and move it. All that happened was the column lock electronics getting confused and out of synch due to the original power failure. Disconnecting the battery and reconnecting resynchronized the electronics and the car could move. Try it you don't have anything to lose.
Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Engine shuts off when put in gear

Quick Reply: Engine shuts off when put in gear