C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lets talk Flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk Flywheels

I will be doing mostly street driving and drag racing, with maybe the occasional road race. My car has the A&A vortech kit and long tube headers. I plan on putting in the centerforce dual friction clutch.

1) Should I go with a stock LS7 flywheel, billet steel flywheel, or
lightweight aluminum flywheel?

2) Would a Spec billet steel flywheel work with the centerforce 12"
DFC?

3) Does a billet steel flywheel offer significant gains over a stock
flywheel?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:50 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Ilovechevymusclecars
I will be doing mostly street driving and drag racing, with maybe the occasional road race. My car has the A&A vortech kit and long tube headers. I plan on putting in the centerforce dual friction clutch.

1) Should I go with a stock LS7 flywheel, billet steel flywheel, or
lightweight aluminum flywheel?

2) Would a Spec billet steel flywheel work with the centerforce 12"
DFC?

3) Does a billet steel flywheel offer significant gains over a stock
flywheel?
I'm pretty sure centerforce recommends a steel flywheel with this setup. Have you contacted them?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm running a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel with my Dual Friction and had no problems. It revs quick and grabs great .
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I compromised, Tex billet steel.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by Brandon619
I'm running a Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel with my Dual Friction and had no problems. It revs quick and grabs great .
Do you drag race at all, or do you do mostly street driving?

I have seen that centerforce doesnt recommend an aluminum flywheel, but I have seen a couple people running them...
Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by vettenuts
I compromised, Tex billet steel.
The tex billet steel flywheel is $400, do you think that it is any better that the spec billet steel flywheel that is $225?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

The tex billet steel flywheel is $400, do you think that it is any better that the spec billet steel flywheel that is $225?
^^^
Old 03-09-2008, 02:30 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go aluminum....

For good all around performance your total flywheel/clutch package should ideally weigh (IMO) 35-40 lbs (dont forget when I say total Im referring to the entire flywheel, pressure plate, and disc(s) assemly). That total figure will work well to free up some horsepower, allow for quicker rev's, and still have enough inertia that our lightweight Vette's wont need a lot of RPM leaving a traffic light, stop sign, etc.

Ive even driven a 32 pound assembly that I honestly felt drove fine (more than acceptable for a dual purpose street machine) but it needed a little more throttle from a light to smoothly pull away (rev'ed quickly however which I liked).

A heavy stock LS7 set-up will rob you of 12-14 RWHP over a clutch assembly that weighs what I described above (35-40lbs) with notacably more lethargic throttle response....not ideal IMO

GM does that so the non performance oriented public can lift their foot off the clutch and the car gets smoothly rolling with practically zero added throttle (it has more mass and inertia to allow that to happen). Downside is when you want to accelerate now you also have to accelerate all that extra mass....its always there and never goes away. Its the equivalent of bolting on a set of rims and tires that are 10 pounds heavier at every corner (engine must accelerate more mass)....those that have experienced that know the feeling. Of course that also degrades ride quality which would not be related to the clutch analogy...

Clutch diameter also plays into the inertia game....a 40lb dual disc assembly with 9" discs (and a small diameter pressure plate) will have less inertia (and more "zing") than a 34 lb. single disc 11" set-up because a good portion of the weight is further from crank centerline with the single disc assembly (distance from crank centerline has more of an impact on inertia than total weight but both are important and need to be considered for an "ideal" set-up). Either choice however is worlds better than say the LS7 set-up because the LS7 set-up is big diameter and very heavy....the worst of both situations.

Hope this info helps....

Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-09-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Go aluminum....

For good all around performance your total flywheel/clutch package should ideally weigh (IMO) 35-40 lbs (dont forget when I say total Im referring to the entire flywheel, pressure plate, and disc(s) assemly). That total figure will work well to free up some horsepower, allow for quicker rev's, and still have enough inertia that our lightweight Vette's wont need a lot of RPM leaving a traffic light, stop sign, etc.

Ive even driven a 32 pound assembly that I honestly felt drove fine (more than acceptable for a dual purpose street machine) but it needed a little more throttle from a light to smoothly pull away (rev'ed quickly however which I liked).

A heavy stock LS7 set-up will rob you of 12-14 RWHP over a clutch assembly that weighs what I described above (35-40lbs) with notacably more lethargic throttle response....not ideal IMO

GM does that so the non performance oriented public can lift their foot off the clutch and the car gets smoothly rolling with practically zero added throttle (it has more mass and inertia to allow that to happen). Downside is when you want to accelerate now you also have to accelerate all that extra mass....its always there and never goes away. Its the equivalent of bolting on a set of rims and tires that are 10 pounds heavier at every corner (engine must accelerate more mass)....those that have experienced that know the feeling. Of course that also degrades ride quality which would not be related to the clutch analogy...

Clutch diameter also plays into the inertia game....a 40lb dual disc assembly with 9" discs (and a small diameter pressure plate) will have less inertia (and more "zing") than a 34 lb. single disc 11" set-up because a good portion of the weight is further from crank centerline with the single disc assembly (distance from crank centerline has more of an impact on inertia than total weight but both are important and need to be considered for an "ideal" set-up). Either choice however is worlds better than say the LS7 set-up because the LS7 set-up is big diameter and very heavy....the worst of both situations.

Hope this info helps....

Tony

Thanks alot Tony. I have seen several people on the forum that have the centerforce dual friction/aluminum fidanza flywheel combo, yet centerforce recommends a steel flywheel. Should I be worrried about buying an aluminum flywheel with the centerforce dual friction clutch? Also, will any brand of aluminum or billet steel flywheel built for the LS1 fit the centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate?
Thanks!
Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Do you drag race at all, or do you do mostly street driving?

I have seen that centerforce doesnt recommend an aluminum flywheel, but I have seen a couple people running them...
Some street racing sometimes I've launched hard on it a couple of times but mostly street driving.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Thanks alot Tony. I have seen several people on the forum that have the centerforce dual friction/aluminum fidanza flywheel combo, yet centerforce recommends a steel flywheel. Should I be worrried about buying an aluminum flywheel with the centerforce dual friction clutch? Also, will any brand of aluminum or billet steel flywheel built for the LS1 fit the centerforce dual friction clutch/pressure plate?
Thanks!
Buy a Fidenza aluminum wheel (or the equivalent). As long as the centerforce attaches their pressure plate in the stock mounting bolt locations of the wheel (highly likely), any aftermarket aluminum wheel would work as they would obviously have the stock mounting holes as well.

Confirm thats the case with the centerforce unit you like and then go buy the aluminum flywheel of your choice. I dont think you have very many choices though. Fidenza probably makes that wheel for most of the other companies advertising one.

Tony

PS....Assuming you do the aluminum flywheel set-up, make sure you weigh the total assembly when your done and report back after you've driven it. Another Internet wives tale is that you cant run an aluminum wheel on the street and you have to rev the engine alot if you do blah, blah, blah.....its NOT the case. Your going to love the reduced inertia and extra response. Report back in this thread....it would be a nice way to wrap it up with real world independent results.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 03-09-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Buy a Fidenza aluminum wheel (or the equivalent). As long as the centerforce attaches their pressure plate in the stock mounting bolt locations of the wheel (highly likely), any aftermarket aluminum wheel would work as they would obviously have the stock mounting holes as well.

Confirm thats the case with the centerforce unit you like and then go buy the aluminum flywheel of your choice. I dont think you have very many choices though. Fidenza probably makes that wheel for most of the other companies advertising one.

Tony

PS....Assuming you do the aluminum flywheel set-up, make sure you weigh the total assembly when your done and report back after you've driven it. Another Internet wives tale is that you cant run an aluminum wheel on the street and you have to rev the engine alot if you do blah, blah, blah.....its NOT the case. Your going to love the reduced inertia and extra response. Report back in this thread....it would be a nice way to wrap it up with real world independent results.
Thanks alot. I should have the clutch installed in the next 2 weeks, so I'll be sure to post a review.

Should I go with the ARP flywheel bolts instead of new GM bolts, or does it really make a difference?

Also, how much clutch fluid do I need to buy to fill it back up?

Last edited by Ilovechevymusclecars; 03-09-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Thanks alot. I should have the clutch installed in the next 2 weeks, so I'll be sure to post a review.

Should I go with the ARP flywheel bolts instead of new GM bolts, or does it really make a difference?

^^^
Old 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

^^^
Old 03-09-2008, 09:35 PM
RrCoX22
Pro

confused on which size the 9" or 12" centerforce DF to go with to provide more "inertia" and what exactly does this equate to with an aluminum flywheel?

im assuming the 12 inch for more grab? ...plan on doing this clutch swap with a aluminum flywheel and getting insight
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
confused on which size the 9" or 12" centerforce DF to go with to provide more "inertia" and what exactly does this equate to with an aluminum flywheel?

im assuming the 12 inch for more grab? ...plan on doing this clutch swap with a aluminum flywheel and getting insight
I believe that the 12" will have more inertia because of the larger diameter. If you planned on forced induction, I would go ahead and get the 12" because it holds up to 675 rwtq. It looks like I am going to go with the Centerforce 12" clutch, new slave, master, remote bleeder, fidanza flywheel, gm flywheel bolts, and a new pilot bearing. Also, I am going to have the setup balanced of course.

I don't already need the flywheel bolts when I take it to a machine shop to get it zero balanced, right?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
RrCoX22
Pro

ya thats the exact setup that i will be doing... including all the replacements

wouldn't it already be 0 balanced from centerforce though? where are you purchasing your centerforce clutch from? straight from centerforce?

Get notified of new replies

To Lets talk Flywheels

Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by RrCoX22
wouldn't it already be 0 balanced from centerforce though?
He's mating it to a different flywheel.

If you buy a complete clutch/flywheel kit as a package, they generally come balanced.

If you buy a clutch from vendor A, and a flywheel from vendor B....it's best to mate the parts and get the whole assembly balanced as a set before installing.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Ilovechevymusclecars
Racer

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
He's mating it to a different flywheel.

If you buy a complete clutch/flywheel kit as a package, they generally come balanced.

If you buy a clutch from vendor A, and a flywheel from vendor B....it's best to mate the parts and get the whole assembly balanced as a set before installing.

Do they all have to be bolted together? Do I need to order any bolts before taking them to the machine shop? Sorry, this is my first clutch install fiasco.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 AM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Better check compatibility of the 12" set-up with the aluminum wheel. Make sure the flywheel has the holes for the pressure plate in the correct location (they will be outboard of the 10.5 and 11 inch set-ups). You may be forced to get a Centerforce flywheel depending on compatibility....perhaps they sell an aluminum version.

Tony

Quick Reply: Lets talk Flywheels