C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVAP system small leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default EVAP system small leak

I think the code I got was P0442 C H if I remember correctly, description is EVAP system small leak, aparently there is a different code for major leak! anyway, my car's got it, what do I do?

I cleared it out and it came back about a week later. I'm wondering if something didn't get put back together properly after I had Ed do a UDP, cam and tune on it. I e-mailed him about this when it first happened but haven't heard back, I'll have to try to contact him again now that its happened twice. is this something which I may be able to find and fix easily? what should I look for? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 03-16-2008, 12:41 AM
Russ K
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First check that the gas cap is clicked on tight. Also check to make sure that the gas cap seal is in good shape. Then try a new gas gap.

I've also had leaking EVAP vent solenoids (on the inside right frame rail by the trans). They are about $45.00 CDN.

Russ Kemp
Old 03-16-2008, 11:11 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the help!

from the service manual I guess the car pressurizes the fuel tank to prevent evaporative emissions from leaking out to the environment. if it pressurizes the tank and the pressure falls too fast it throws the code saying there's a leak. I'll check the fuel cap. I'm almost out and need some fuel today anyway. if that doesn't work how serious is this problem anyway? fuel evaporating isn't going to make any kind of noticeable drop in fuel economy since the amount evaporating its negligible. I know that fuel vapor is flammable, but I don't think we're talking about much at all.

so I guess my question is is this a dangerous kind of thing? if it doesn't fix easily by tightening the fuel cap or even replacement can I just have my tuner turn off this particular code and just ignore it?
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Most likely cause is the gas cap. I cant tell you how many of those codes I see at work.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

I fueled up the car and made sure the cap was tight, I guess it will take about a week or so of normal driving to see if that code comes back. with all the electronics in a C5 you would think they could put a notice on the DIC that your cap is loose, just like door ajar etc. oh well.

I inspected the cap and did notice a lot of cracking in the seal in the cap. it pretty much looks like any piece of rubber which is exposed to heat, freezing temperatures, water, dust fuel etc for 7 years. if the code comes back I'll replace it.

thanks for all the help!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM
Ram907
Heel & Toe

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Crossover tube between tanks will sometimes leak, as was the case with mine. Tank has to come out!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:31 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram907
Crossover tube between tanks will sometimes leak, as was the case with mine. Tank has to come out!
This is an 11 year old post !!...yikes !!
Old 11-30-2020, 01:44 PM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

For the same reason why newbies want to post on a 1.5 year old reply of a 11 year old resurrection.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:23 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyjee
So you’re roasting me because I’m new? Wow. This forum is really welcoming. 😂 im glad the previous guy commented on this old post as it helped me immensely during my search for my issue. As an old grouchy member you’re probably used to telling the newbies “USE THE SEARCH TOOL!” haha. Just kidding buddy. Happy thanksgiving.
New members posting in years old threads is a rite of passage on the Corvette forum apparently
The following users liked this post:
frc319 (12-16-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM
bonesbrakr
Pro

Received 212 Likes on 126 Posts

Dude youre the newb. We can read but obviously you have a problem with comprehension. Its OK. Most children nowadays do. Youre not special.

Get notified of new replies

To EVAP system small leak

Quick Reply: EVAP system small leak