C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to torque lower ball joint nut on rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 03:53 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Default How to torque lower ball joint nut on rear?

How do you torque the lower ball joint nut on the rear suspension? The factory service manual simply says "torque to X ft-lb" as if there is clearance to get a socket and torque wrench over the bolt. There is no way there is enough clearance because the axle shaft interferes.

I already have the ball-joint seated, and nut is hand-tight, and not spinning on the ball-joint stud. So, I have it tight, but I am **** and like to torque everything to spec, and just don't see how a torque-wrench will fit on here.

Do I need a different style torque wrench? Or what am I missing???
Old 04-05-2008, 09:18 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JCOB2
How do you torque the lower ball joint nut on the rear suspension? The factory service manual simply says "torque to X ft-lb" as if there is clearance to get a socket and torque wrench over the bolt. There is no way there is enough clearance because the axle shaft interferes.

I already have the ball-joint seated, and nut is hand-tight, and not spinning on the ball-joint stud. So, I have it tight, but I am **** and like to torque everything to spec, and just don't see how a torque-wrench will fit on here.

Do I need a different style torque wrench? Or what am I missing???
Only way to do it would be with a crows foot open ended wrench end that has a 3/8" socket square.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:27 PM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always gut hit it with my 1/2 air gun and an impact swivel
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM
JCOB2
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 69 Posts

Oooh... genious! That would do it, but it will require recalling high-school TRIGONOMETRY!

Maybe someone who remember this poopie can chime in.

So, if your torque wrench is coming straight off of the crows-foot, then the torque reading should be true. But if you don't have room with the long torque wrench, and you have to insert the wrench onto the crow-foot at angle X, then the actual torque on the bolt would have to be calculated using some sin(x) or cos(x) equation that is way beyond anything I remember. I'm sure it simple, I just don't remember how to do it.

The "wrench it 'till it feels tight" approach sounds good about right now.

Now I just need to go buy a 21mm crows-foot. Don't have a set of them!

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Only way to do it would be with a crows foot open ended wrench end that has a 3/8" socket square.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 PM
thetaxman
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

torque wrench

Get notified of new replies

To How to torque lower ball joint nut on rear?

Quick Reply: How to torque lower ball joint nut on rear?