C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:29 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Default A/C troubles

I have a interesting issue with my ac controller or other part, not sure how to go about checking this out.

Turned on the AC today 99 (3 dial controller) and the first two settings, 1 & 2 do not work, no air blowing. 3 to 5 blow air as they should. When i do put it on 1 and 2 i can hear something running in the engine bay just no air, and the noise doesn't sound "healthy"....

anyone have any ideas on what i can check or do?
Old 06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
nitrojunky
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the resistor pack is going. Usually the resistors are utilized in such a way that one will affect a couple speeds, so when it goes, it'll take out more than one fan speed. I've fixed this on a honda and a jeep before; I assume 'vettes w/o the fancy climate control system have the same thing. Probably $30 or so in parts.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:22 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Blower Motor Resistor Module

Originally Posted by chris308
I have a interesting issue with my ac controller or other part, not sure how to go about checking this out.

Turned on the AC today 99 (3 dial controller) and the first two settings, 1 & 2 do not work, no air blowing. 3 to 5 blow air as they should. When i do put it on 1 and 2 i can hear something running in the engine bay just no air, and the noise doesn't sound "healthy"....

anyone have any ideas on what i can check or do?
Hi, most likely blower motor resistor module is bad.
Good Luck
READ BELOW
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Replace Blower Motor Resistor Module

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blower Motor Resistor Replace. Manual AC System
Blower Motor Resistor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the front floor kick-up panel. Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.
Remove the cover from the I/P electrical center.
Remove the BLO MOT (blower motor) MaxiFuse® #49 from the I/P electrical center.
Remove the I/P lower insulator panel - RH. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Disconnect the wiring harness electrical connector from the blower motor resistor.

Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector from the blower motor.

LOOSEN the blower motor resistor forward two retaining screws (nearest the dash mat) approximately 5 mm (0.197 in). (The resistor is slotted at the forward retaining locations.)
Remove the resistor rear retaining screw.
Tilt down the rear of the resistor; use care to not damage the portion of the resistor which fits up into the HVAC module.
Remove the blower motor resistor from the vehicle.
Inspect the condition of the blower motor resistor seal; replace if necessary.
Installation Procedure

Position the blower motor resistor forward retaining slots onto the forward retaining screws and the upper portion of the resistor into the HVAC module.
Align and seat the resistor to the HVAC module.
Install the resistor rear retaining screw and drive until just secure.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Tighten all the resistor retaining screws. Tighten
Tighten the blower motor resistor retaining screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

Connect the blower motor resistor electrical connector to the blower motor.

Connect the wiring harness electrical connector to the blower motor resistor.
Install the I/P lower insulator panel - RH. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Install the BLO MOT (blower motor) MaxiFuse® #49 to the I/P electrical center.
Install the cover to the I/P electrical center.
Install the front floor kick-up panel. Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like the resistor pack .... should be GM part number 89018643 with GM list price of $48.15 ... it is AC Delco part number 15-80571

Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

awesome! Thanks for the qwik help guys, looks like i have some tinkering this weekend
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

WHAT A FREEKIN P.I.T.A.!!!!

would anyone have a pic of this resistor pack? i think i touched it but could not get the damn thing out. I'm guessing its the part thats up behind the blower motor itself that has the wire that connects into the motor??

I think it has 3 screws holding it in, if so....its the rear screw thats impossible to get to!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Default Remove Blower Resistor Module

WHAT A FREEKIN P.I.T.A.!!!!

would anyone have a pic of this resistor pack? i think i touched it but could not get the damn thing out. I'm guessing its the part thats up behind the blower motor itself that has the wire that connects into the motor??

I think it has 3 screws holding it in, if so....its the rear screw thats impossible to get to!!
Below is the way to do it. Remember to remove fuse #49 from the ip fuse panel.
Good Luck
LOOSEN the blower motor resistor forward two retaining screws (nearest the dash mat) approximately 5 mm (0.197 in). (The resistor is slotted at the forward retaining locations.)
Remove the resistor rear retaining screw.
Tilt down the rear of the resistor; use care to not damage the portion of the resistor which fits up into the HVAC module.
Remove the blower motor resistor from the vehicle.
Inspect the condition of the blower motor resistor seal; replace if necessary.

Last edited by bestvettever; 06-08-2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:50 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Default Thanks for the pic!!

yea thats the booger i couldn't get at, the right screw to be exact. Just too much crap in the way and just an awkward location to get to!!

Old 06-08-2008, 01:35 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default Blower Motor resistor module

yea thats the booger i couldn't get at, the right screw to be exact. Just too much crap in the way and just an awkward location to get to!!

Chris, remove the blower motor itself if it helps you. It's only 3 screws and a hose and a connector. Should make it easier to get to.
Good Luck
Blower Motor Removal
Remove the front floor kick-up panel. Refer to Kick-Up Panel Replacement - Front Floor in Interior Trim.
Remove the cover from the I/P electrical center.
Remove the BLO MOT (blower motor) MaxiFuse® #49 from the I/P electrical center.
Remove the I/P lower insulator panel - RH. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Lower in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Disconnect the blower motor resistor electrical connector from the blower motor.

Disconnect the blower motor cooling tube from the HVAC module.
Remove the three blower motor retaining screws.
Remove the blower motor with fan from the HVAC module.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:26 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Well, i rec' the new resistor pack module from Gene yesterday, thanks Gene

So i went back into the depths of hades and tried my attempt to finally remove the old one!!

after working on it on and off, it's rainging out... i got the b@st@rd out!!

As you can see hopefully (cam fone) it was toast!! You guys were right in thinking it was this part causing my troubles.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default Fan Resistor bad

Hi Chris, thanks for following up and letting us know what was the outcome. It helps others in the future.
Luck To All

Get notified of new replies

To A/C troubles

Quick Reply: A/C troubles