C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another P1221 + Reduced Engine Power Issues thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Robs98Z28
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another P1221 + Reduced Engine Power Issues thread

guys,

lately on my car i have been getting the p1221 code frequently while driving around. I will start with some info on the car, then move to whats been happening, then state what I think, then ask for help.

The car is a 97 coupe (36k miles) with a maggie, corsa exhaust, HID headlights, HUD, Z06 wheels, AVIC D3, and all factory options except auto climate and sport seats.

Whats been happening is when I drive around I am getting the P1221 code accompanied with the "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" messages. If i turn the car off, and turn it back on, it will sometimes go away for a while but then come back on. Lately, its been happening very frequently. It happened 4 times today.

After reading the forum, I have gathered alot of information. I know the issue is that the 2 TP sensors are not agreeing. I did try cleaning the factory ground connector on the drivers side frame rail in the engine bay but that didnt seem to help (I saw this mentioned on the forum.) Now, I'm thinking about buying a new throttle body assembly and swapping out the old one.

FWIW, everything else on the car works perfectly, so I dont think I have a grounding problem.

What I was thinking was trying to check the voltage across the individual TP sensors. I would have to track down which wires they are in the TB connector but that shouldnt be to hard. Its either this or get a new throttle body.

Anyone that has successfully gotten rid of this problem, please let me know how you did it and what you did to fix it.

TIA for any help
Old 11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever happened with this? I'm experiencing the same thing right now and it's driving me up a wall...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Robs98Z28
Instructor

I installed a new throttle body and the problem seemed to go away until lately.

Been getting the same thing again lately.
Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Robs98Z28
guys,

lately on my car i have been getting the p1221 code frequently while driving around. I will start with some info on the car, then move to whats been happening, then state what I think, then ask for help.

The car is a 97 coupe (36k miles) with a maggie, corsa exhaust, HID headlights, HUD, Z06 wheels, AVIC D3, and all factory options except auto climate and sport seats.

Whats been happening is when I drive around I am getting the P1221 code accompanied with the "reduced engine power" and "service traction control" messages. If i turn the car off, and turn it back on, it will sometimes go away for a while but then come back on. Lately, its been happening very frequently. It happened 4 times today.

After reading the forum, I have gathered alot of information. I know the issue is that the 2 TP sensors are not agreeing. I did try cleaning the factory ground connector on the drivers side frame rail in the engine bay but that didnt seem to help (I saw this mentioned on the forum.) Now, I'm thinking about buying a new throttle body assembly and swapping out the old one.

FWIW, everything else on the car works perfectly, so I dont think I have a grounding problem.

What I was thinking was trying to check the voltage across the individual TP sensors. I would have to track down which wires they are in the TB connector but that shouldnt be to hard. Its either this or get a new throttle body.

Anyone that has successfully gotten rid of this problem, please let me know how you did it and what you did to fix it.

TIA for any help
When you swapped out the throttle body, did you install a new TPS or did you use the old one? Also, what checks have you done per the service manual using a DMM?
Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Robs98Z28
Instructor

I used the TPS from the new Throttle Body. I didnt change them out. What do you mean by DMM? I havnt done any checks.

I am going to get out my autotap tomorrow and see if I can get the voltage on the sensors.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Robs98Z28
I used the TPS from the new Throttle Body. I didnt change them out. What do you mean by DMM? I havnt done any checks.

I am going to get out my autotap tomorrow and see if I can get the voltage on the sensors.
DMM= Digital Multimeter. Pretty much what your down to here....using the schematics and a DMM to isolate the issue.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Robs98Z28
Instructor

I just went outside and happened to look at the front passenger side by the throttle body and found some wires that are damaged. Is it Okay to wire nut in a new section of wire to replace the current one, or should I actually solder in a new section of wire?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:43 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NO WIRENUTS, Splice it, solder it and heat shrink it!
Old 07-19-2009, 12:39 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by byronhunter
NO WIRENUTS, Splice it, solder it and heat shrink it!

Get notified of new replies

To Another P1221 + Reduced Engine Power Issues thread

Quick Reply: Another P1221 + Reduced Engine Power Issues thread