C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 body 200mph capable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Default C5 body 200mph capable?

As you know, the C5 coupe is one of the most aerodynamic Corvettes, or cars, ever made and Im sure that with enough power it will hit 200mph. My question is, will it do it safely with no body mods? You know, no excesive shaking or floating. Most exotics have front and or rear spoilers, but stock body and suspension with enough power and gearing, 200mph? (I know the windows seals will pop, forget that)
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in the day, lingenfelter's twin turbo C5's hit 220+ mph with little to no body mods. I'd be more concerned with tires/brakes.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Hmm... good point. I wonder how long W(168 mph) rated tires would last at those speeds? Anyone know what hp it takes for a C5 to hit 200mph with 3.42 gears?
Old 08-18-2008, 12:17 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Send a PM to user Jeffyvette and ask for his input ..... he has done 200+ in his prepared C4. He can also tell you that tires are an important issue ... this is what his C4 looked like when a tire went at 204 mph ...... notice it not only took out the rear of the car .. it also destroyed his front end .....

http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/Blowout.jpg

200 is not something you just go out and "do" .... it takes preparation of the car, experience, and a place to do it "safely" .... it takes several miles to get up to that speed ..... there are very few places you can legally do this. Here's one way to consider driving at 200 mph legally ....

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Good luck,

Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

the c6 z06 with 505hp and 3.42 gears does 199mph.. it has slightly better aerodynamics
0.28 vs 0.29.. c6Z makes about 440-450 rwhp. I would think a C5 with 475-480 rwhp would get you there
Old 08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Send a PM to user Jeffyvette and ask for his input ..... he has done 200+ in his prepared C4. He can also tell you that tires are an important issue ... this is what his C4 looked like when a tire went at 204 mph ...... notice it not only took out the rear of the car .. it also destroyed his front end .....

http://www.boomspeed.com/jeffyvette/Blowout.jpg

200 is not something you just go out and "do" .... it takes preparation of the car, experience, and a place to do it "safely" .... it takes several miles to get up to that speed ..... there are very few places you can legally do this. Here's one way to consider driving at 200 mph legally ....

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

Good luck,

Im not saying Im going to go out and do it just like that. Ive been looking at some open road racing clubs and events, especially the 1 mile top speed challenge. I know my car needs a lot more prep to get there but I wanna know whats the min that I would need so I can go from there. Thnx for the input though.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:20 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I am also curious about my 99 convertible. My son has driven it up to 143 MPH, and he said it felt like the roof was about to blow off!
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 PM
r1ver_rat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csdunaway
I am also curious about my 99 convertible. My son has driven it up to 143 MPH, and he said it felt like the roof was about to blow off!
I have a 99 Vert too. Had her to 145 in 5th and more RPM to go. My roof felt fine. My steering wheel started to feell soft though!!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:14 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Im not saying Im going to go out and do it just like that. Ive been looking at some open road racing clubs and events, especially the 1 mile top speed challenge. I know my car needs a lot more prep to get there but I wanna know whats the min that I would need so I can go from there. Thnx for the input though.
What I'd recommend you do is look at the requirements of the sanctioning body that you want to run with.

For example, if you look at the link I gave you for the Silver State Classic, you can download their rule book .... which includes the minimum equipment requirements for the "Unlimited" class ... defined as over 180 mph.

Full roll cage is required, and so is a fuel cell .... ouch .... the only fuel cell I've heard of for the C5 is made by ATL ... and sold through Pratt & Miller (the guys who build the C6.R for GM racing)

http://www.atlfuelcells.com/

http://www.prattmiller.com/

last time I heard a price you are looking at over $6k for a fuel cell for a C5.

Not trying to rain on your parade ... just providing the "facts" as I understand them.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F.Y.I.,East Coast Timing Assn. (ECTA)sponser's The Maxon Mile at an airport in or near Maxon N.C. it has two events a year. I think it's a timed mile , contact ECTA F/details
Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r1ver_rat
I have a 99 Vert too. Had her to 145 in 5th and more RPM to go. My roof felt fine. My steering wheel started to feell soft though!!
At speed our cars, especially lowered ones, have no place to get rid of the air the front dam picks up for the radiator. It packs under the hood and provides lift on the front end, one of the reasons I bought a VIS Extractor hood. It not only lets the air out of the engine compartment, but gives a little down force while doing so.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:19 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Add enough HP to your car the right tires/gearing and 200 MPH wont be a problem at all.

FWIW, my car can do 200+ mph... Problem is... my angels don't fly that fast.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:21 PM
wawazat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is another good place I have planned to take my next car (looking very hard at some C5s).

http://www.texasmile.net/
Old 08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I have ran out my speedo in 5th without much trouble. The car is lowered on after market bolts and that's all for areo when I did that.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
What I'd recommend you do is look at the requirements of the sanctioning body that you want to run with.

For example, if you look at the link I gave you for the Silver State Classic, you can download their rule book .... which includes the minimum equipment requirements for the "Unlimited" class ... defined as over 180 mph.

Full roll cage is required, and so is a fuel cell .... ouch .... the only fuel cell I've heard of for the C5 is made by ATL ... and sold through Pratt & Miller (the guys who build the C6.R for GM racing)

http://www.atlfuelcells.com/

http://www.prattmiller.com/

last time I heard a price you are looking at over $6k for a fuel cell for a C5.

Not trying to rain on your parade ... just providing the "facts" as I understand them.

Yeah, thats a lot of work and money! Maybe I'll do that to my '88 GTA in a few years but I like my vette for the street. I guess I'll have to find some open road in Mexico.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tiojames
At speed our cars, especially lowered ones, have no place to get rid of the air the front dam picks up for the radiator. It packs under the hood and provides lift on the front end, one of the reasons I bought a VIS Extractor hood. It not only lets the air out of the engine compartment, but gives a little down force while doing so.
Yeah, I heard about that problem. Someone told me that some guys remove the plastic piece where the windshield wipers so the air releives itself through there but I havent seen that. Those VIS hoods are nice, all carbon fiber huh? Must be worth the money, they look like they fit perfect too.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Benpup
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Used to drive rails and they are prepared very well, and that is for just a short run.
200 mph takes a lot of consideration. Tires and suspension being the number one. You would not want to find out your ride is out of like at 197 mph as things happen very fast at that speed. The ones used at the salt flats are usually a lot of rubber and a little air. Some are solid steel and no rubber. Road racing goes from 10 mph to 200+, but it is not a constant. Besides there are not to many people capable at doing 200 for too long, unless it's in an F-16.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 body 200mph capable?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:25 PM
nickolbag
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tiojames
How does that hood fit? Are the edges clean? Carbon fiber rolled instead of cut? Did you paint it or not? If not is it fading in the sun?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:59 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear Hood Sear Removal

Yeah, I heard about that problem. Someone told me that some guys remove the plastic piece where the windshield wipers so the air releives itself through there but I havent seen that. Those VIS hoods are nice, all carbon fiber huh? Must be worth the money, they look like they fit perfect too.
Removing the rubber seal at the edge of the hood is a bad idea. The C5 develops a low pressure area the the edge of the hood near the windshield. Removing this seal will actually increase the high pressure area developing under the hood. The effect is similar to that of rain drops sliding back on a cowl hood as a vehicle is in motion. I have been setting my car up for a 200mph pass as well and have consulted EVILTWIN on a few occasions regarding aerodynamics and the building high pressure area under the hood. He was on the C5 platform design team at GM. I trust the advice of the man who designed my car. I'll forward you some of the PM's he's sent me on the matter if you think it will help you, as well as some advice of his on reducing drag.

I'm still wresteling with ideal gear ratios--and shift points. So I'm very curious to hear advice from those running A4's who have been there.
-97C5
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Hmm... good point. I wonder how long W(168 mph) rated tires would last at those speeds? Anyone know what hp it takes for a C5 to hit 200mph with 3.42 gears?
about 600 rwhp.

plus most race organizations wont let you go that fast until you prove yourself at 150 mph level fist.

Which also means full roll cage, fire suppression, fire suit, brakes to handle the stopping ect ect ect.

I have talked to many ppl who want to do 200+ mph. I just say OK, get in strap in, and keep quite.

On a road race course when I hit about 120 mph, they are turning green when we hit 150, they are about to puke ( code brown - code brown )

then when we get back to the pits and paddock most say, maybe I will start at 125 mph and learn to be safe from there.

This is not for a few secs as in drag racing, but sustained 125+ mph on road race course.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: C5 body 200mph capable?