C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken axle boot? How to repair??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:44 PM
titus40
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Default broken axle boot? How to repair??

Well I looked under the car today and found this. The axle boot on the drivers side has a pretty big slit in it and now the brake components and everything on that side is full of grease.
My question is. Should I replace the boot only? I have not done this task on a corvette but have on other vehicles and it was a pain. Or should I just replace the axle. I found a new one at kragen for like 70.00. Boot is 15.00. I think it might just be easier to replace the axle then deal with the boot cause there was a lot of grease that came out and I don't want to deal with greasing it back up and knowing how much to put or not. Any other advise? Does this happen quite a bit? I can't image what could have caused this. Below are some pictures.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For $70 it is remanufactured. Is the store a local one? If so, it may not a bad gamble as it may be easier to deal with them than an on-line parts place. I bought two from an on-line parts store, one leaked at the dif and the other had a hole in the outer boot. The reason there may be issues is that there can be ware or refinishing to the half shaft that will make it too small in diameter to seal with the diff. I cut my losses and found a local remanufacturer that has a good rep. My two half shafts are doing great now If you want to replace I’d look for a local remanufacturer or buy a real new one. I do not think there is a real reason to replace unless you have other issues besides the boot. The half shafts should last the life of your Vette. I replaced mine because my boot came apart at the track and it had damage to the cv joint, I doubt you have damage.

Replacing the boot is a good idea. If you currently don't have any other issues like a leak at the diff, then it would be the option that has the least risk to it. I.e. less chance for new leaks. Low miles? Have access to the crimping tool to secure the boot? Check, you might be able to rent a crimping tool. IMO it is a good idea just to replace the boot in most cases.

Both jobs require about the same amount of effort. Here are a couple of links, I could not get cajundude's to work right now, so maybe try latter or do some searches on output shaft seal install.

http://www.jakelatham.com/C5/misc/C5...el_Bearing.doc
http://www.cajundude.com/outputshaftseal.htm

Last edited by MattB; 01-30-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add some links
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
titus40
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I guess I'll just get the boot replaced. I actually called a few auto parts places locally and they don't carry a boot. Does anybody know were I can get a good replacement at a good price besides getting one from the dealership. Looks like they are about 50.00 new at the dealership. Thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 11:21 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jegs.com
Old 01-31-2009, 02:36 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by titus40
Well I guess I'll just get the boot replaced. I actually called a few auto parts places locally and they don't carry a boot. Does anybody know were I can get a good replacement at a good price besides getting one from the dealership. Looks like they are about 50.00 new at the dealership. Thanks
Corvetteforum vendor Fichtner Chev
1-800-234-5284

Ask for Bob in parts.

HTH
Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Corvetteforum vendor Fichtner Chev
1-800-234-5284

Ask for Bob in parts.

HTH
Bob's awesome
Old 01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

"For $70 it is remanufactured."

Not necessarily, I just purchased a New half shaft from Advance Auto parts for the same price.
The boot will cost around $50.00 then $20.00 for the grease then clamps and tools, time.
It is a no brainer...........
Yes it's mfg. offshore but then where was your stock one made?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Corvette Don
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a universal boot kit w/ lube from a site (cant remember) for $20 shipped and changed the boot out my-self (I love tearing into things and saving money) after going through 2 remans from a auto store that was causing my diff to leak from the seal (seal was replaced 2 times). Its not that hard to do, I can have the axle out of the car in 20 mins now that I have done it 5 times. Try to at least find a good used one on the forum if you can.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I've been down this road. I would not trust the quality of the after market half shalf. I also done the universal boot kit and they are crap. I've also bought a OEM boot repair kit from the deal with a discount and it cost me 70 bucks but the boot is in great quality from the OEM one. The only thing about the OEM kit it has these omega claps that are a pain in the *** to install. I screwed both of them up and bought some after market claps and they never sealed so I bought a new shaft for the dealer for $270 but no more leaking grease.

Get notified of new replies

To broken axle boot? How to repair??

Quick Reply: broken axle boot? How to repair??