C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Champion Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:20 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Champion Plugs

Why the bad rep for Champion Spark Plugs. I bought set of 9405 Iridium and people start telling they wouldn't use Champion in their lawn mowers. What gives?

TIA
Old 09-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I wouldn't use chumpimums in YOUR lawn mower. There are better QUALITY plugs out there. Delco Iridiums, NGK Iridiums, Years ago,Champions were BOTTOM of the barrel. They had some dependability issues. I think those issues have been addressed. I still refuse to use them. It took them a LONG time to admit to the issue.

Basically,,,if you have a STOCK (pretty near stock) C5/C6,,,any rare metal plug is VERY good. The rare metal just makes them last longer and maintain emissions standards for the full OEM warranty period. No performance advantage is seen from rare metal vrs standard plugs.

If you have a significantly modified N/A C5/C6, a good quality copper plug is recommended (it will not last as long as a rare metal plug)

So,,,,,,,,,,,there you have a good base for your selection.

As long as you getting an opinion on good bad... An EXCELLENT plug wire is the stock GM "RED" performance plug wire. The QUALITY of the wire is excellent. The performance of plug wires is NOT a factor. DO NOT purchase plug wires for performance HYPE! The GM secondary ignition system is excellent and OEM Stock plug wire will support in excess of 700 HP without issue.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-04-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, I learned something today.....champion still makes spark plugs. Does Pioneer still make a Supertuner?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Wow, I learned something today.....champion still makes spark plugs. Does Pioneer still make a Supertuner?
Yeah I think it's the Super tuner XXVIII
Old 09-04-2009, 10:43 PM
SargeZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I wouldn't use chumpimums in YOUR lawn mower. There are better QUALITY plugs out there. Delco Iridiums, NGK Iridiums, Years ago,Champions were BOTTOM of the barrel. They had some dependability issues. I think those issues have been addressed. I still refuse to use them. It took them a LONG time to admit to the issue.

Basically,,,if you have a STOCK (pretty near stock) C5/C6,,,any rare metal plug is VERY good. The rare metal just makes them last longer and maintain emissions standards for the full OEM warranty period. No performance advantage is seen from rare metal vrs standard plugs.

If you have a significantly modified N/A C5/C6, a good quality copper plug is recommended (it will not last as long as a rare metal plug)

So,,,,,,,,,,,there you have a good base for your selection.

As long as you getting an opinion on good bad... An EXCELLENT plug wire is the stock GM "RED" performance plug wire. The QUALITY of the wire is excellent. The performance of plug wires is NOT a factor. DO NOT purchase plug wires for performance HYPE! The GM secondary ignition system is excellent and OEM Stock plug wire will support in excess of 700 HP without issue.
Well you can't get any better advice than that. Thanks Bill. I have the GM Red performance wires. TR55 plugs are in the car now just not sure of the age. I'm going to do some data-logging tomorrow to see if there is any knock.

Thanks again.

Sarge
Old 09-04-2009, 11:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by SargeZ06
Why the bad rep for Champion Spark Plugs. I bought set of 9405 Iridium and people start telling they wouldn't use Champion in their lawn mowers. What gives?

TIA
If you're happy with them, then don't worry what others say. Just to try something other than Delco or NGKs (which for some reason everyone seems to worship), I came across a good deal on some Autolite XP Fine Wires and have been running them for at least 6 months or so. I've had no problems with them at all.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 AM
El Zappo
Instructor

Location: Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 6 minutes. The average response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 fps.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeZ06

TIA
Sounds like those are the same people that won't use Pennzoil in their lawn mower. Probably the same logic.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Years ago,Champions were BOTTOM of the barrel. They had some dependability issues.
And years, before that Champion plugs were some of the best. 20 years or more ago Bose made one of the best home speakers on the market (the Bose 901), but today their stuff is far from "top of the line" like it used to be. Plextor CD drives for computers 15 years ago were the best and most expensive. Today they are junk. And just look at GM.

It just goes to show you just because a company's product was great or poor years ago doesn't hold much weight today. If you don't know its best to ask, most of the guys on this forum know what they are talking about.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Autolite is another good spark plug.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:13 AM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not install champion plugs in anything I own or anybody else owns!

Get notified of new replies

To Champion Plugs

Quick Reply: Champion Plugs