C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have a question about Defrost and A/C Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM
dwoodvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have a question about Defrost and A/C Light

Now for those of you who have had corvettes since you could drive this might sound like a dumb question but I dont know if this is normal or not.
When I turn my defrost on my A/C light comes on when I push the a/c button to turn it off it blinks three times and then stays on. Will someone tell me thats screwed up or thats normal before I take it to chevy and have them laugh me out of the place.
Thanks and have a good day!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Completely NORMAL. The DEFROST cycle works more efficiently when the air is dehumidified. The AC runs to condense the moisture in the air and the heat warms the air. So, you get warm dry air thru the defrost vent to more efficiently clear the windshield. The reason it flashes at you is to tell you that your trying to do something illogical (according the GM)

On another note. If the outside air temp is below 32 deg, the AC Compressor will not run. Its cut out by the PCM to prevent AC Compressor damage. The light will just just flash at you three times and then shut off.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Completely NORMAL. The DEFROST cycle works more efficiently when the air is dehumidified. The AC runs to condense the moisture in the air and the heat warms the air. So, you get warm dry air thru the defrost vent to more efficiently clear the windshield. The reason it flashes at you is to tell you that your trying to do something illogical (according the GM)

On another note. If the outside air temp is below 32 deg, the AC Compressor will not run. Its cut out by the PCM to prevent AC Compressor damage. The light will just just flash at you three times and then shut off.
Also explained in the owners manual.

Get notified of new replies

To Have a question about Defrost and A/C Light

Quick Reply: Have a question about Defrost and A/C Light