C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel rail powder coating?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rail powder coating?

I've searched the forum on this topic but can't find any info on this. I have a '99 Coupe with the stock LS1 engine. Anyone ever taken the fuel rails out to have them powder coated? If so, does the Damper come apart so the seals can be removed (if there are any) or are there any other seals/O-rings that are hidden? Just curious, as I am about to do that but it appears the Damper is pretty well sealed and the oven used for powder coating may damage the internals? Thanks for any input guys.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM
BigJayDee
Cruising

I have done several types of fuel rails but I have never done any on a Corvette so I can not tell you anything about them. I will tell you that if there are any seals or diaphrams in those rails then you will not be able to coat them, they will not be able to with stand the heat and will ruin your seals and or diaphram.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have seen where people have had theirs chromed. Apparently a different process and not too expensive. Anything would be better than nasty looking thing on there now.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
BigJayDee
Cruising

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have seen where people have had theirs chromed. Apparently a different process and not too expensive. Anything would be better than nasty looking thing on there now.
There is no severe heat in the chroming process unlike powder coating process.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:30 PM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

The fuel regulator is held in with a c-clip and can be removed. The fuel rail is made up of several thinwall stainless steel tubes that that are braised together. Some powdercoaters offer low heat cured coatings so you can ask them if it's safe for braised tubing. I went for chrome.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

It can be removed. I had my 98 rails powdercoated when I did my conversion. Remove the C-Clip and the dampner comes right out.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
TinyTimm
Intermediate

Default Fuel rail powder coating

Originally Posted by Fastbird
It can be removed. I had my 98 rails powdercoated when I did my conversion. Remove the C-Clip and the dampner comes right out.
Thanks all, I had it powder coated starlight red the other day. I removed the Shraeder valve and the Damper (that's what gmpartshouse said it was called - I believe the fuel regulator is inside the fuel filter). If you do this, good luck finding a replacement o-ring for the damper - I ended up buying a new damper ($89) but figured since I had it all apart, I'll do it right and put a new Shraeder valve & Damper in it. I'll post pics once I figure out how to do it.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel rail powder coating?

Quick Reply: Fuel rail powder coating?