C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap electronic throttle for cable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_C5
Hey everybody! How much of a pain in the **** would it be for me to swap my electronic throttle body for a cable style one off of like say... an 04 GTO. Any more info would be appreciated.

-Scott
PLEASE tell me this is motivated by the Toyota fiasco.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:07 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The electronic throttle is an integrated part of the car's electronics and it would be a major pain in the *** to get rid off since you break a bunch of other functions. Since there is nothing wrong with the electronic control this really is a dumb idea.

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Wonder how even cruise control will work?
No cruise, traction control or active handling.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Another cobbed up car that will be foisted off on an unsuspecting buyer in the future.

Bill
It won't matter, it will probably end up totaled once the traction control and active handling is permanently disabled.

Peter
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by lucky131969
How does the painless harness correct the class 2 serial input to the PCM from the TAC...and vice versa?
Only kits I found by Painless were for refitting an LS1 into a non LS1 car.

Might work but at $1,330, why???

Item Number: 15106

Painless® Performance's PERFECT PowerCom Engine Management System is the ideal ECM/Harness package for anyone transplanting a late-model fuel injected engine into a classic or specialized vehicle, just plug in the harness and mount the ECU. The PowerCom system represents the state-of-the-art in fuel injection engine management technology. This second generation PERFECT system comes fully programmed for an unmodified stock engine or it can be easily reprogrammed using simple Windows-based software available from Painless. Part 15106 is for installation of an LS1 with a mechanical throttle without an electronic transmission.

Danchuk has the largest selection of quality 55, 56, 57 parts for your classic Chevy project.

Retail Price: $1,330.00 EA
Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

There was a time I wanted to try that. Last summer I had Chuck COW tune my car and I have to tell you, if the throttle was any more positive, I'm not sure it would be very drivable. I asked him to give me all the throttle control he could and he did that. It's great now compared to stock but now I have to wonder what it would be like with a cable. I honestly think it would be too touchy. So I now have ditched that idea of going to a cable throttle. Just get a Chuck COW tune and u will be happy with it.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:20 AM
Rohan
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Thanks to those who helped and thanks for nothing to those who didn't.

To all the guys that supported me on this and said they were interested in it as well, I thank you. To all the guys that just had smart *** comments for me... keep in mind that the 04 GTO has a CABLE not an electronic throttle body and maybe you all don't really know as much as you think you do. Nd4spd2 - Thank you for the advice. I believe you are correct in saying that it will probably be too touchy with a cable. I am contacting Chuck CoW this morning to see about getting a tune. I had never heard of that before and didn't realize it was that easy to get more response out of my throttle. You probably saved me tons of money and time.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Y-Body
Burning Brakes

Location: Member since May 99 (Before 99 CF Crash & Burn) Georgia
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... keep in mind that the 04 GTO has a CABLE not an electronic throttle body ...
The Pontiac also does not have the computer-controlled engine/drivetrain feedback loop electronics of the Corvette.
... and maybe you all don't really know as much as you think you do. ...
Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

To all the guys that supported me on this and said they were interested in it as well, I thank you. To all the guys that just had smart *** comments for me... keep in mind that the 04 GTO has a CABLE not an electronic throttle body and maybe you all don't really know as much as you think you do. Nd4spd2 - Thank you for the advice. I believe you are correct in saying that it will probably be too touchy with a cable. I am contacting Chuck CoW this morning to see about getting a tune. I had never heard of that before and didn't realize it was that easy to get more response out of my throttle. You probably saved me tons of money and time.

Cheers
I still don't understand what the possible upside is to this insanity anyway. What's the problem with the response of the factory setup?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:07 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A real canidate for the dumbest mod ever!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Nver2loud
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have faith that Lucky will have something awesome to say about this..Sometimes its the best part of my day to see what he conjures up about some really "interesting" questions that people ask

Cheers
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nver2loud
I have faith that Lucky will have something awesome to say about this..Sometimes its the best part of my day to see what he conjures up about some really "interesting" questions that people ask
I AGREE. Lucky is like 2 people, #1-he is excellent Help, #2-a good laugh every day.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Nver2loud
Seems like it took the OP about a week to come to his senses.......probably just PMS.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Think he also took most of the info out of is profile too.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I still don't understand what the possible upside is to this insanity anyway. What's the problem with the response of the factory setup?
If you are talking about how it's set up from the factory, are you kidding me. If you already have a tune, then I agree. Have you seen the throttle tables for how much throttle you are actuall getting compared to what you are asking for??
Old 04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
If you are talking about how it's set up from the factory, are you kidding me. If you already have a tune, then I agree. Have you seen the throttle tables for how much throttle you are actuall getting compared to what you are asking for??
Feels better to me stock than any carb'ed car with a cable I ever drove or even injected for that matter.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Corvette Electronic throttle.....

The Corvette Electronic throttle.....IS NOT VERY RESPONSIVE.

For anyone that has driven one of my C5 tunes, the throttle response is AMAZING....or can be made to be whatever you want it to be.

The fact is that when your foot is down 25% on the gas....The throttle blade is only like 3 o4 4% open.... When your foot is down 50% on the gas pedal....The throttle is only about 15% open.... Not very fun.

For those of you that use the TC button or the competitive modes, THE THROTTLE BECOMES EVEN LESS RESPONSIVE WHEN USING THOSE MODES!

I can make it sooooo aggressive you can't even drive it...or sooooo lame that your kinds won't wanna drive it when they're home from college.

Call me.... I'll make it whatever you want.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-07-2010, 04:05 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
The Corvette Electronic throttle.....IS NOT VERY RESPONSIVE.

For anyone that has driven one of my C5 tunes, the throttle response is AMAZING....or can be made to be whatever you want it to be.

The fact is that when your foot is down 25% on the gas....The throttle blade is only like 3 o4 4% open.... When your foot is down 50% on the gas pedal....The throttle is only about 15% open.... Not very fun.

For those of you that use the TC button or the competitive modes, THE THROTTLE BECOMES EVEN LESS RESPONSIVE WHEN USING THOSE MODES!

I can make it sooooo aggressive you can't even drive it...or sooooo lame that your kinds won't wanna drive it when they're home from college.

Call me.... I'll make it whatever you want.

Chuck CoW
The throttle response feels no different to me on my C5 than my last 2 Vettes that had CABLES, 1 with a carb and the other with Throttle body injection. If anything it feels more responsive than those other 2.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

The throttle response feels no different to me on my C5 than my last 2 Vettes that had CABLES,
So?

Any of them can be made to be more or less sensitive to throttle input. It's just much easier to change with ETC cars.

The difference between idle (no pedal) and WOT (pedal floored) doesn't have to be a linear scale, in fact it's not linear in stock form.

Chuck's point was, this can be easily changed.

Get notified of new replies

To Swap electronic throttle for cable?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you....and YES...

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
So?

Any of them can be made to be more or less sensitive to throttle input. It's just much easier to change with ETC cars.

The difference between idle (no pedal) and WOT (pedal floored) doesn't have to be a linear scale, in fact it's not linear in stock form.

Chuck's point was, this can be easily changed.

Thank you....and YES... I can make the ETC throttle FASTER than a cable throttle.

Chuck CoW
Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

The throttle response feels no different to me on my C5 than my last 2 Vettes that had CABLES, 1 with a carb and the other with Throttle body injection. If anything it feels more responsive than those other 2.
Well, since you haven't filled out your profile, I don't know where you are located. If you were close, I'd show you the difference between factory and my Chuck COW tuned car.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Cheers
Well, if you had asked about the throttle response and how to change it then you would have got a reasonable answer.

But, you asked a dumb general unspecific question and you got answers you didn't want. Not really a big surprise.

FYI, the 04 GTO is NOT a C5 Corvette. Another FYI, the 4th gen Camaro's came with LS1 and cable throttle long before the 04 GTO ever showed up.

And in both cases, SO WHAT? they both are still not a C5.

Peter

Quick Reply: Swap electronic throttle for cable?