C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to purchase a ruined shortblock????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Default How to purchase a ruined shortblock????

Here is what I got for $2500 from The Home of Late Model Performance. Only 200 miles after rebuild and no refund. This has got to be the most expensive set of Callies rods on the planet.

Who else thinks that these walls are trashed? The entire driver side bank is like this.

Here are some more pics for your viewing pleasure. Who else thinks these pictures "make it look worse than it really is?"

Cylinder # 1

Cylinder # 3

Piston # 4 showing a pit from detonation

Cylinder # 7

And my favorite Cylinder # 5

Some crap that on a lot of the walls but this is the worst.

All of these scuffs are on the driver side bank. The detonation pit is on the passenger side. NONE OF THE CYLINDERS HAVE ANY KIND OF CROSSHATCHING. NOT EVEN A REMOTE MEMORY. This is how I received the engine from Daniel Raff who is the owner of Late Model Performance. I didnt want to out anyone because I hate it. But after not responding to my PMs and ignoring my phone calls I have no choice.

Pulled # 5 out and this is what it looks like.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

What's the full history here?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

The original shortblock was built by LME. Then he purchased it from the original owner and rebuilt it. I purchased it after he put 200 miles on it with 125 shot and a few 225 shots. he told me the shortblock was great. I recieved it and saw the grooves on the walls. he told me that it was fine that he didnt have problems. I requested a refund but he refused because he had spent the money already. So then we decide that he will send me an other LS1 block (who knows how long that would take). SO I proceed to take it apart and notice the damage on the skirts. After I sent him the pictures of the pistons he is MIA.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Did you use a credit card and did this happen fairly recently? If so, the card company should help you out.

Peter
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I was gonna guess that the engine suffered piston scuff at one time and after you pulled the pistons, sure enough. That engine is garbage. I think you were sold a piece of junk.So sorry for your problems. I guess the world is full of dishonest people. Good luck to you.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

It could be converted into a nice cocktail table, short of that it's junk. Sorry to hear about your issue. I hope you come to some type of satisfaction....."already spent the money" doesn't seem like a strong excuse to pimp out on you...
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
warriorp
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was trying to burn a piston...typically from a lean condition, n2o doesnt help that lol...the pits on top of the pistons were prob from debre...it also has staining from water in the cylinder walls...block needs to be honed to the next oversize and a new set of pistons intalled provided its in rebuildable condition...sorry you got took on this deal but it prob be salvaged...good luck on the build...to bad this has turned into another cautionary tale of buying used parts...buyer beware
Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Yeah I started a claim with my cards and BBB. Just wanted to get this out there that its difficult to trust anyone. Even a shop. I def will never buy used again.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
DeltaBravo
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Did it at least come with a jar of vaseline?
Old 05-01-2010, 04:03 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
The original shortblock was built by LME. Then he purchased it from the original owner and rebuilt it. I purchased it after he put 200 miles on it with 125 shot and a few 225 shots. he told me the shortblock was great. I recieved it and saw the grooves on the walls. he told me that it was fine that he didnt have problems. I requested a refund but he refused because he had spent the money already. So then we decide that he will send me an other LS1 block (who knows how long that would take). SO I proceed to take it apart and notice the damage on the skirts. After I sent him the pictures of the pistons he is MIA.
OK, I'm still unclear on the engine's history. Does the "he/him" mentioned in the first couple of sentences refer to the owner of LME?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

I am referring to Daniel Raff, owner of Later Model Performance. He rebuilt the engine 200 miles ago. The original shortblock was built by LME like 2 years ago.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeltaBravo
Did it at least come with a jar of vaseline?
It was pretty dry.

Once Im done with him no one will get ripped off by this shop again.

Get notified of new replies

To How to purchase a ruined shortblock????

Quick Reply: How to purchase a ruined shortblock????