C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rings Around the Brake Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM
ShawnHarding
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rings Around the Brake Rotor

I put cross drilled and slotted brake rotors on my C5 about 500 miles ago. Now the driver’s side rear rotor is creating rings like Saturn. Pictures below.

Has anyone here had this happen too? I’ve sprayed brake cleaner to try to clean the pads in case they are greasy.

1. Are the pads the issue?
2. Is there air in the line and need bleeding?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Shawn

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/42909901@N02/4907516515/[/IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4290990...n/photostream/

Last edited by ShawnHarding; 08-19-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

What pictures ?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnHarding
I put cross drilled and slotted brake rotors on my C5 about 500 miles ago. Now the driver’s side rear rotor is creating rings like Jupiter. Pictures below.

Has anyone here had this happen too? I’ve sprayed brake cleaner to try to clean the pads in case they are greasy.

Shawn

You mean SATURN, Jupiter has no rings! And your pics don't show up by the way.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

that is from CRAP in the holes. scrapping on the brake pads.

Clean out the holes.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
ShawnHarding
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Links inserted

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
What pictures ?
Links inserted, uploading pics from flickr wouldn't work.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Clean out the holes.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:37 PM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShawnHarding
I put cross drilled and slotted brake rotors on my C5 about 500 miles ago. Now the driver’s side rear rotor is creating rings like Saturn. Pictures below.

Shawn

[IMG]http://www.flickr.com/photos/42909901@N02/4907516515/[/IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4290990...n/photostream/
Those are machined, uh, less than optimally. While cleaning out the holes will help in the short-term, that drill pattern and edge chamfer technique will wear your pads unevenly and the grooving will persist. Different pads or bleeding will not change a thing. Sorry.

Chris
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Only thing to stop this is to get rid of the Drilled rotors.

groves, slots and holes in rotors are doing just that, scrapping the brake pad as they were designed to do.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Only thing to stop this is to get rid of the Drilled rotors.

groves, slots and holes in rotors are doing just that, scrapping the brake pad as they were designed to do.
I don't know if you know this but I have drilled and slotted rotors I may have even posted a picture of them once or twice My drilled and slotted rotors are 8 years old and have 70,000 miles on them... I could probably find a picture of them if I looked hard enough.,.. I wonder sometimes if you don't have some rings around youranis ( the planet ) LOL
Sorry , its this freekin screen name... seriously the amount of rings are commensurate with the number of holes. the simple fix to make them look purdy is to polish them out, and wire brush the slots.. coat them with some silver header paint and they will be Purdy again.. don't ask me how I know this

[insert purdy photo of your rotors here] Warning : this photo has been used far beyond its right, or the forums band width.

Did he say 8 years old and 70,000 miles???? Yup

Bill aka ET
Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I don't know if you know this but I have drilled and slotted rotors I may have even posted a picture of them once or twice My drilled and slotted rotors are 8 years old and have 70,000 miles on them... I could probably find a picture of them if I looked hard enough.,.. I wonder sometimes if you don't have some rings around youranis ( the planet ) LOL
Sorry , its this freekin screen name... seriously the amount of rings are commensurate with the number of holes. the simple fix to make them look purdy is to polish them out, and wire brush the slots.. coat them with some silver header paint and they will be Purdy again.. don't ask me how I know this

[insert purdy photo of your rotors here] Warning : this photo has been used far beyond its right, or the forums band width.

Did he say 8 years old and 70,000 miles???? Yup

Bill aka ET
If the rotor in your picture has 70k on it, your rear pistons must be siezed in the retracted position.

Shawn:

1. Are the pads the issue? Nope. It's the holes. Holes work like cheese grater on the pads. The grooves in the pads won't knock the rust off the rotors.
2. Is there air in the line and need bleeding? No. Air in line would give you a spongy pedal.

Last edited by UstaB-GS549; 08-20-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
If the rotor in your picture has 70k on it, your rear pistons must be siezed in the retracted position.
If the rear pistons were seized, wouldn't that put an extra load on the front rotors making them discolored from the extra heat?They certainly would not look as purdy as they do.
Shawn:

1. Are the pads the issue? Nope. It's the holes. Holes work like cheese grater on the pads. The grooves in the pads won't knock the rust off the rotors.
2. Is there air in the line and need bleeding? No. Air in line would give you a spongy pedal.
Sorry these rotors do have 70,000 miles on them and they are 8 years old the car has 80,000 miles on it and its 11 years old. Front a rear calipers work perfectly, as does everything else on the car.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-20-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

ET I think yours are the abnormal. they Look great.

what brand rotors are those, if you can remember BACK THAT FAR

and the brake pads you have? ( Again an other brain strain)

back you for that planet comment
Old 08-21-2010, 09:09 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ET remembers EVERYTHING.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Ummmmmmmmmm how can I forget, I am an expert on some very specific things about this car, in other things I can make an educated guess,and qualify it as an educated guess and some things I know very little about, and stay out of those threads. The funny thing is many many people PM me and think I know everything about this car, which is very far from the truth. I have seven designs in these cars, and involved and colaborated in many others through F.M.E.A.'s One trick and a very old and **** guy is this : This is a life secret, when you learn it, you should never forget it..

The only reason I remember some of this stuff is I have to keep it fresh in my head.. One of the reason the Corvette forum had to increase their band width was because i was posting these brake and rotor Photos daily. Troy Emailed me and said that those photos daily was forcing them to buy more band-width, I explained I was old and he said OK.. he was about to send me the Bill. LOL its true, and I'm sticking too it.
IN any event because its so fresh in my Mind I will tell you the story, sorry Troy....
Way back when I was involved with Baer brakes engineering ( 9 years ago after retiring ) involved in a 2 piece application for a C5 with Larger rotors for the rear and an offset caliper bracket. These rotor became a go. the Baer EradiSpeed plus 2 's, not the larger rotors, they came about 18 months later. The design was in and they were waiting for the components to be built from Australia.. to make a long story extremely long , I received the first pair of Baer plus 2 that came into this country from Australia.( I paid for them too and they were not delived on time, not like we did with the C5) ) It took almost a year from its inception. Rick Elam from Baer and I worked closely on this offering. So they are the original Baer EradiSpeed 2 piece rotors. The pads are the original compound AcDelco . And if you ask if they are ceramic, I will hunt you down, no matter what the cost. LOL. I don't know what I will do once I find you, but it wont be pleasant, I'm thinking a bag of flaming poop on your doorstep. Is that still a threat?
The End

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-21-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:58 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Flaming bad of Poop? not in my neck of the woods. That is an invitation to a BBQ after the hog shoot

anyway good to know. ie Rotors do make the differnce
Old 08-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Flaming bad of Poop? not in my neck of the woods. That is an invitation to a BBQ after the hog shoot

anyway good to know. ie Rotors do make the differnce
They work in my application and they are indeed purdy... Here is another piece of trivia.. Ive owned hot rods all of my life, been driving since I was 16. I've never had a ticket.. NEVER... ! Not even a parking ticket. Ive been stopped about 10 times, but always managed to be warned,( 3 times) or they just wanted to check out the car. Always courteous, the LEO.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Clean out the holes.
Put that " Crap in a bag and set it on fire,"
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Bring the Marshmellows . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Rings Around the Brake Rotor

Quick Reply: Rings Around the Brake Rotor