C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 09:40 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Default HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads

I know, it's not C5 specific, but I think its applicable, and I'm in trouble! I'm also going to post this in the C4 Tech section, because I'm looking for all the advice I can get. I've got two exhaust manifold bolts broken off, both on the #7 exhaust. Looks like one has been broken for quite some time (maybe before I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago), while the head of the other one popped off this week.

As tight as the other bolts have been coming out, there's no way I see other than pulling the head to get these babies out. But, once I have the head off, how do I go about getting them out? My Helms manual was of NO help (first time it's totally let me down). The customary answer is that you use heat to loosen up a joint, but that advice has always been for steel on steel joints. What about aluminum on steel? What about warping the head?

I do virtually all the work on my car, but I'm not sure I'm up to this one.

Thanks for any help,
Mike
Old 03-30-2002, 09:56 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads (VetteDrmr)

Mike,

If you are pulling the heads, take it to a reputable machine shop. They can get the broken stud out of the head. I wouldn't attempt this one myself as getting a steel bolt out of aluminum can be very tricky without the proper tools and fixtures. Good luck, hope it turns out OK.
Old 03-30-2002, 10:18 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads (vettenuts)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm definitely pulling the driver's side head. I was thinking about helicoiling the two studs. Is this what you're describing a machine shop as being able to do? Or, do they have some other capability that I don't know of?

Thanks again, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 03-30-2002, 11:00 AM
MDT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads (VetteDrmr)

VetteDrmr,

Every situation's different. Sometimes the portion left in the head is not very tight.

In any case, the way I have always handled this is to carfully center a pilot hole with a small drill bit and drill through the broken stud. Then go to a little larger bit and drill through the stud again until the hole is nearly as large as the stud. Then buy a proper sized E-Z Out and place in the hole and see if it will allow you to unscrew the portion of the stud that is still in the head.

The Hele-Coil procedure is always a last resort if the above procedure isn't fruitful. If you don't want to mess with the E-Z Out, I don't think that a machine shop will charge too much to get the broken studs out.

Good luck.
Mark
Old 03-30-2002, 11:46 AM
pjazz
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Years ago I broke off an exhuast manifold bolt. I took the head to a machine shop and they took it out no problem. I never really asked how they did it, but it was a cast iron head. If you get a reputible shop I'm sure they could do it no problem.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:33 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads (MDT)

Every situation's different. Sometimes the portion left in the head is not very tight.

In any case, the way I have always handled this is to carfully center a pilot hole with a small drill bit and drill through the broken stud. Then go to a little larger bit and drill through the stud again until the hole is nearly as large as the stud. Then buy a proper sized E-Z Out and place in the hole and see if it will allow you to unscrew the portion of the stud that is still in the head.

The Hele-Coil procedure is always a last resort if the above procedure isn't fruitful.
Use left handed drill bits and sometimes it comes out without the ez out.
Also, inserts usually work far better than heli-coils.
my.02
:cheers:
Old 03-30-2002, 01:44 PM
indyblue98
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If You are going to attempt this Yourself ,, the one additional item I would suggest along with the other items above.. before You start with the drilling on the old broken bolt go to the parts store and buy a can of penetrating oil
and position the head on a bench or whatever it takes so that gravity will
help the oil to work around the bolt. Let it set for at least 4 hours. Lastly try to use a reversing drill motor and get a left hand turning drill bit., then use the e-z out as mentioned already. Even if You end up having to get a shop install the heli-coil ,This proceedure will only cost about $10-15 and You maybe one of the lucky ones. I have done this before and actually had a bolt come out as I was trying to drill the hole for the e-z out. Fingers crossed :seeya
Old 03-30-2002, 02:17 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads (indyblue98)

I attempted this once without the proper jig. Drill slipped and of course it cuts through aluminum like butter.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads

Quick Reply: HELP!! I've got 2 exhaust bolts broken off in my LT-1 heads