C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 vert, toneau cover rubbing when putting town up/down

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default 2000 vert, toneau cover rubbing when putting town up/down

Anyone else have this problem? B asically when you raise the toneau cover, fold the top up and start to close the toneau cover to set the back of the top onto the cover it rubs the roof section which is now vertical. This didn't used to happen and nothing has changed. The top is tight and closes fine like it always have. Anyone have any suggests? I cant move the toneau cover any and the top cant really go forward. What i'm doing for the time being is pushing the top forward some while I lift the toneau cover and close it again to keep it from rubbing too badly.

Any opinions are welcome .

Dave
Old 09-27-2010, 01:10 AM
Buggyman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave, I am glad you posted this... I have exactly the same problem while my buddy with a identical convert clears the toneau cover easily. In my case the top when down does not lower as much as his ie. when down his cover will litterly fall into place while in my case I have to press my top down and then shove the toneau cover down pretty hard to get it to close.
Mike
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

I also have to slam my tonneau cover
Old 09-27-2010, 10:21 AM
tomringo
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

I have an 03 vert, and there's a rub strip put on the area where the cover slightly rubs on the top, looks like 3" or so wide black tape strip. It doesn't rub much at all, just a like touch. I also have to close the top cover frimly although my top seems to go down all the way. Sounds like maybe its simalr on most to some degree.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
Anyone else have this problem? B asically when you raise the toneau cover, fold the top up and start to close the toneau cover to set the back of the top onto the cover it rubs the roof section which is now vertical. This didn't used to happen and nothing has changed. The top is tight and closes fine like it always have. Anyone have any suggests? I cant move the toneau cover any and the top cant really go forward. What i'm doing for the time being is pushing the top forward some while I lift the toneau cover and close it again to keep it from rubbing too badly.

Any opinions are welcome .

Dave
If it didn't do it before and now it does, SOMETHING had to change, or it still wouldn't.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

I've got that strip as well but the rubbing is bad enough that itll take off the paint soon

Last edited by T_Vert; 09-27-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I found the same thing and do two things, first I move the top slowly past this point and second I squeeze the top together (front to back) to minimize the rub. Sometimes it will actually clear doing this.

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 vert, toneau cover rubbing when putting town up/down

Quick Reply: 2000 vert, toneau cover rubbing when putting town up/down