C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warm air from vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:39 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Warm air from vents

When I have the system set to just bring in outside air, not with the AC on I get warm air coming in. Even on a day when it's 60 degrees out the air coming through the vents is warm once the car gets up to normal operating temp. The AC works fine, blows nice cold air, but when it's just outside air it's always warm. Is this just due to the need to re-index the vents as I've read about people doing or is it just a normal function of our C5's?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:27 AM
bluvette79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i assume you have the temp all the way down in manual mode? the auto temp control will warm the air to the set temp even in manual mode but it wont boost the fan. i hope it is that simple because i only know simple stuff!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:01 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

C5Lou, that sounds like what I have in my stock, low-mile 2003 Coupe. It irritates me in the summer because I never use the A/C (except to exercise it) and that slightly warm air blowing on me bugs me. I think it is normal--like you, my system seems to work properly otherwise. There is a tiny little air outlet around your right knee that I plug with a soft rubber thingy in the summer and that helps. Perhaps the C5 runs all its air through or near the heater core and it picks up heat there. Crappy vent system, when you cannot under any circumstances get cool non-A/C air through the vents.

Maybe I'm off-base, 'tho--perhaps others will come in with more/better info.

Regards, Ralph Boineau in central South Carolina
Old 10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
C7LOU
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. I almost never use the AC, but it would be nice if the outside air came in at the temp it really is instead of as if the heater were on.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:59 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question. I have often wondered why I can't get the outside air (cool) to come through the vents without the AC on, as with you guys, its just warm. It was a lot easier when they use to have the manual vents down below. I think a lot of cars have the continuous AC circulation and I'm not sure you can really get the outside air flow anymore, anyway it seems that way. I wish I knew the answer, and probably will before this thread is through.

Last edited by dmarkshark; 10-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
bluvette79
Pro

i was in mine tonight and the air from the vents wasn't cool until the outside temp was below 70. i also think that the engine bay and air handling ducts are so hot that it takes a while before they are cool enough to let cool air come through the vents. of course, my auto temp is at 60. nobody commented so i guess it was dumb for me to suggest that the air temp set be checked to make sure it was at 60 because it will warm the air to whatever is set regardless of the auto set not being engaged. oh, well, i tried. sorry for the dumb answer!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:42 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not dumb, I'll have to check that one out. I was reading the manual and there were a few suprises for me as to how the system actually worked. A lot of times it is cool 60 ish and I just want the outside air temp., but haven't figured it out, maybe just too impatient and need to wait more.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:55 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

I have the temp set down as low as possible and I still get warm air. Again, my AC works fine, blows nice cold air, but when it's set for outside air and no AC the air turns warm once the car is up to full temp. It seems to be just normal for our cars.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 AM
bluvette79
Pro

i think i agree. i don't think i have ever owned a vette that ran cool inside just with fresh air vents. nature of the beast!
Old 11-29-2023, 06:50 PM
Resist
Instructor

Reviving this old thread because today I pulled my 2003 Z06 out of being stored for many years. It was 68 degrees outside, so I set the temp to 60 degrees and the AC came on so I turned it off and shortly after heated air was coming out of the vents. I think I remember having this issue years ago, either way it seem ridiculous to be designed this way. I rarely ever used the AC when I drove it all the time in the past because I didn't want it to suck out engine power. Oh well, this must just be a Corvette thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Warm air from vents

Quick Reply: Warm air from vents