C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voltage draw

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Jake T
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Voltage draw

My battery started going dead in my '99 vette if left unattended for a few days. I did a voltage draw test and found I indeed have some component drawing off the battery when everything is shut down. Has anyone had this problem. Any ideas where to start looking.
I do hear a slight buzzing somewhere in the frontend of the car when testing for voltage draw. I'm thinking it could be a relay possibly. Just guessing right now.
Thanks;
Jake T.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:24 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake T
My battery started going dead in my '99 vette if left unattended for a few days. I did a voltage draw test and found I indeed have some component drawing off the battery when everything is shut down. Has anyone had this problem. Any ideas where to start looking.
I do hear a slight buzzing somewhere in the frontend of the car when testing for voltage draw. I'm thinking it could be a relay possibly. Just guessing right now.
Thanks;
Jake T.
The buzzing you hear is most likely the headlight door control module chattering, which is consistent with a low voltage condition. I assume you mean "current draw"....not voltage. It's a common issue. See below, start with post #590.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1567522286
Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Could be a very likely suspect (Headlight Control Module)

Monitor your current draw and remove the headlight control fuse (dont have the fues number at work) If the current drops off significantly, thats your issue. They do go bad. If its very warm to the touch, it is most likely bad. Its a current sensing module and if the current sense circuit goes bad, it will continously draw current trying to keep the head light doors shut when the car is OFF.

The module is under the pass side head light on the frame header bar.

BC
Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

ALSO a common draw on 97-99's is the elect seat--They often go bad and will draw power even with the key off--try unplugging the under seat pigtail and see if it helps---
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Could be a very likely suspect (Headlight Control Module)

Monitor your current draw and remove the headlight control fuse (dont have the fues number at work) If the current drops off significantly, thats your issue. They do go bad. If its very warm to the touch, it is most likely bad. Its a current sensing module and if the current sense circuit goes bad, it will continously draw current trying to keep the head light doors shut when the car is OFF.

The module is under the pass side head light on the frame header bar.

BC
Yep.

There's a 5PDT relay inside that can raise a ruckus when all those contacts start snapping back and forth.

Get notified of new replies

To Voltage draw

Quick Reply: Voltage draw