C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA legal shorty headers for 99?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Default CA legal shorty headers for 99?

I've tried searching but didn't get too much of an answer. I'm looking into a set of CA smog-legal shorty headers since there is no such thing as a CA smog-legal long-tube header that I know of.

I've seen the $900 JBA's, the $400 BBK's and the grand plus headers from Billy Boat, Callaway, etc.

Which if these are good quality, fit well, work well and are legal?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
imavettegirl
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they really do not help much.

unless you go long tubes, which are not legal in california, it would be best to leave the existing manifolds on.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Jnape
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

As far as CARB legal goes in CA, it will need a CARB # to be legal. Sucks that every intake, exhaust or even a fuel pressure guage are a no-no in CA.

Now bigger cubic inches, sniffer passing cams, heads are technically not allowed, they have no way of measuring CI or knowing what you have internally.

Thats the route I am going. 383-427 CI biggest cam I can do, better heads BUT NO headers. I will leave 30-40 HP on the table, but I don't want the hassle.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by imavettegirl
they really do not help much.

unless you go long tubes, which are not legal in california, it would be best to leave the existing manifolds on.

Really? I've got a stock '99 w/ shorties. Lingenfelger tune plus the shorties and a cat back = 334 RWHP.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
Really? I've got a stock '99 w/ shorties. Lingenfelger tune plus the shorties and a cat back = 334 RWHP.
A4 or M6?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

I don't have headers (I dont care either about 35 more rwhp from them) because I want no hassles from the local cops and I have been pulled over and chanced under the hood here in Ca for CARB complaint aftermarket items. I have sat on the side of the road once why they called in my CARB EO # to make sure it was for my year/make/model.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
I looked at the Lingenfelter shorties - they look very nice! I'm assuming those are the ones your'e using?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mel3535
A4 or M6?
6 speed
Old 01-14-2011, 10:51 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mcm95403
I looked at the Lingenfelter shorties - they look very nice! I'm assuming those are the ones your'e using?

The shorties are B&B. Lingenfelter did the tune.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been kicking around the whole shorty header thing too, for my '99 coupe. Have decided I want to keep my car smog legal. Have talked to alot of folks running long tubes who, re smog, say they'll worry about it when the time comes. Don't think I want to do that. I have a Callaway Honker fresh air setup that is smog legal. Have the sticker in my engine compartment as proof. Maybe finding a real good deal, on some used shorties, might make it worth it. I'm sure they would look better too.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
TNRAT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Move to TN and get the long tubes....you will save enough in taxes the first yr to pay for the move and headers...
Old 01-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The shorties look cool but like others have stated, they don't do to much for improving HP. I remember when they were first introduced. They were $1200. They actually stated that they gave you 12-15 HP.

Hell, you can get an entire long tube header and exhaust system for that much today.

They do add some power increase so, if you find a set for a good price, I would get them if that was my only option in CA.

So, the cops actually pull people over and inspect the engine in CA??
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

You bet they do! They can pull over anything that is 'suspect' (anything that doesn't look or sound like a "normal" car) for something they wouldn't normally stop anyone for, then do a roadside inspection. You can refuse, but then they can impound the car. Of course, the police aren't trained B.A.R. smog techs, but they will still cite you for emissions violations. We have all these generic sections in the VC here like "modified exhaust" which (if you wanted to be really picky) could even mean direct replacement but not OEM mufflers (like Midas for example!). This is what happens when Democrats run wild. Several of the guys in my old MR2 group have been busted that way for things like blow off valves on turbo cars, aftermarket intercoolers, modified exhaust, modified ride height (no I'm not kidding!), window tint, etc., etc.

Oh, and let's not forget the BIG one - nitrous - where they can nail you for "transporting hazardous material without a permit". Several of our customers (at the speed shop I used to work for) that were cited for "inciting a speed competition" by being bystanders at midnight street races were cited for the hazmat technicality.

There have even been occurrences of the police blocking off parking lots filled with late-night car meets, then they send in the squad to write tickets for every violation they can find. That's their way of preventing "gang violence", "sales of illicit drugs" and "street racing", even if none of those activities were happening.

Just a few reasons I call it the DPRK - Demokratik Peoples Republik of Kelifornia. Yes, I know I could leave, but for work and family reasons I can't do that right now.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a good thread on here recently that linked to a site dyno testing shorties vs stock exhaust manifolds.It turns out the ZO6 (or any 2001 up) exhaust manifolds flowed as well or better than shorties and some long tubes.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

You bet they do! They can pull over anything that is 'suspect' (anything that doesn't look or sound like a "normal" car) for something they wouldn't normally stop anyone for, then do a roadside inspection. You can refuse, but then they can impound the car. Of course, the police aren't trained B.A.R. smog techs, but they will still cite you for emissions violations. We have all these generic sections in the VC here like "modified exhaust" which (if you wanted to be really picky) could even mean direct replacement but not OEM mufflers (like Midas for example!). This is what happens when Democrats run wild. Several of the guys in my old MR2 group have been busted that way for things like blow off valves on turbo cars, aftermarket intercoolers, modified exhaust, modified ride height (no I'm not kidding!), window tint, etc., etc.

Oh, and let's not forget the BIG one - nitrous - where they can nail you for "transporting hazardous material without a permit". Several of our customers (at the speed shop I used to work for) that were cited for "inciting a speed competition" by being bystanders at midnight street races were cited for the hazmat technicality.

There have even been occurrences of the police blocking off parking lots filled with late-night car meets, then they send in the squad to write tickets for every violation they can find. That's their way of preventing "gang violence", "sales of illicit drugs" and "street racing", even if none of those activities were happening.

Just a few reasons I call it the DPRK - Demokratik Peoples Republik of Kelifornia. Yes, I know I could leave, but for work and family reasons I can't do that right now.
never seen or heard of anything like this happeneing. Where has this been going on. Been a leo in the San Diego area for the past 35 years.
Maybe locations where some were trying to do semi organized street racing. But that's about it. How do you write a citation for a vehicle violation on private property???
Old 01-23-2011, 12:12 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen the $900 JBA's, the $400 BBK's and the grand plus headers from Billy Boat, Callaway, etc.

Which if these are good quality, fit well, work well and are legal?

I have a set of B&B shorties. They fit perfect, are very good quality and have a CARB #.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Z06supercharged
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

Oh you bet!
Ive been pulled over for BS things and then asked to open the hood for inspection, and you either do it or then they will pick your car apart.
Ive had 2 cops with flashlights under the car trying to see if I had cats, peering down side of engine looking at exhaust. Even had 1 guy ask me what size blower pulley I had because apparently he knew what the law stated for pulley size as well for my kit. I had 1 call in my CARB EO# on the blower to CARB people and came back what year/make/model it was for (smog tech does this also). I think it really pisses em off I'm smog legal.

Get notified of new replies

To CA legal shorty headers for 99?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z06supercharged
Oh you bet!
Ive been pulled over for BS things and then asked to open the hood for inspection, and you either do it or then they will pick your car apart.
Ive had 2 cops with flashlights under the car trying to see if I had cats, peering down side of engine looking at exhaust. Even had 1 guy ask me what size blower pulley I had because apparently he knew what the law stated for pulley size as well for my kit. I had 1 call in my CARB EO# on the blower to CARB people and came back what year/make/model it was for (smog tech does this also). I think it really pisses em off I'm smog legal.
Wow!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:09 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People have used ls7 manifolds and have picked up almost the same hp numbers at shorties. However I am not sure if the ls7 manifolds are only for c6 and I have heard that you can pass smog with it
Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

So what happens if they find something that not OEM?

What are your options and what are the typical fines like???

I was just looking out my window at the 10" of snow in the yard and after reading this post, and knowing that the snow will melt,,, I will take the snow any day of the week over that BS!

And to think,,,,My boss ask me to move to San Diego CA when I started my new job after retirement from the Navy. I'm glad I stayed in CT!

Quick Reply: CA legal shorty headers for 99?